Looking for ~2.3-2.4 for agressive XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Looking for ~2.3-2.4 for agressive XC

Im looking for a 2.3-2.4 tire that doesnt weigh as much as a tank for my 5-spot build. I ride agressive XC, with some rides going as long as 4 hours. Thus, weight and rolling resistance are important.

I am open to UST tubeless suggestions or regular tubed tires that work well with Stan's.

Any word on the new Maxxis ADvantage 2.4s?
    Brian

I dig trails!
    I was just in a similar similar situation with similar riding style. I geeked out on RR, and cared less about weight (as it is only a spin up factor).

It took me 2 months to find something that fit my stringent criteria. What I came up with is Continental's Gravity 2.3 for the rear and Diesel 2.5 for the front. They are in transit so I haven't tried them yet. But they appear to be the best balance of RR, grip and toughness for my riding. We'll see (all part of the fun).

The Advantage 2.4 is a slower roller (according to MBA, which has it's pro and cons).

For a mind bender read this:
    http://www.mckramppi.com/en/bike04re...asanalyysi.htm

Cliff Notes version: Weight, width and GRIP are NOT negative factors in RR.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the input. Post your thoughts when you give those Conti's a try.

Anyone else have a 2.3=2.4 tire they suggest?
    Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    one of the techs in my lbs thinks the diesel is the best tire on the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thoriii
    one of the techs in my lbs thinks the diesel is the best tire on the market.
    I hear they don't like wet roots at all.

bike dork extraordinaire
    The specialized adrenaline/resolution 2.2 (really a 2.3-2.4) is hard to beat. Rolls well, weighs a little over 700 grams, and grips like mad. I also like the Hutchinson Spider 2.3, especially in the UST version. Another one to consider is the Kenda Cortez 2.4, especially if you value RR over all-out traction.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyBri
    Thanks for the input. Post your thoughts when you give those Conti's a try.

Anyone else have a 2.3=2.4 tire they suggest?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyBri
    Im looking for a 2.3-2.4 tire that doesnt weigh as much as a tank for my 5-spot build. I ride agressive XC, with some rides going as long as 4 hours. Thus, weight and rolling resistance are important.

I am open to UST tubeless suggestions or regular tubed tires that work well with Stan's.

Any word on the new Maxxis ADvantage 2.4s?
    Bri - A friend has the Advantage 2.4 prototypes and hates them for our terrain. They don't corner well in the hardpack.

Check out the Schwalbe Big Betties, Nobby Nicks and Fat Albert.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    The specialized adrenaline/resolution 2.2 (really a 2.3-2.4) is hard to beat. Rolls well, weighs a little over 700 grams, and grips like mad. I also like the Hutchinson Spider 2.3, especially in the UST version. Another one to consider is the Kenda Cortez 2.4, especially if you value RR over all-out traction.

I second the 2.2 Resolution, big volume , big grip, low on the weight, and wont pinch flat easily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good suggestions everyone, thanks!
    Brian

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I hear they don't like wet roots at all.
    I have the Gravity/Diesel combo and it is working fine for me. People tell me that Nokian NBX series is good for the slippery stuff but they do not last long on hard surfaces.

The choice of tyres depends on what sort of conditions you have.

mtbr member
    Kenda stickes will stick to wet rocks and roots better than ANY other tire made

The Nokian NBX 2.3s are very agressive and hook up well in DRY loose conditions

but a set of 2.1 Blue Grooves with sticke compound have MUCH better traction on wet rocks.

Contis are downright dangerous on wet rock

I haven't ridden the new Knobby Nics yet with the different compounds but my experience with several other Schwalbe tires is they are no match for the Kenda sticke compound

it's abundantly clear to me that compound trumps pattern when it comes to wet rock

I would recommend either Blue Groove 2.35s or Nevagal 2.35s
    sticke if it's wet most of the time, DTC if you want it to roll faster

a very popular combo is Nevagal 2.1 rear/BG 2.35 front
    that's what I run most of the time
    it matches well

Got A Lust for Life...
    I second the Fat Alberts. Great tire and I actually like it better then my sticke nev
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    we had several people try the Fat Alberts in Austin (mainly dry and rocky) and every one of those guys switched over to Kendas, mainly BG 2.35s up front

glad you like them though..

Got A Lust for Life...
    Well, I am in Maine. I guess that is about as different from Austin as it gets! If I were in Austin, I would probably go Racing Ralph 2.4 or Nobby Nic 2.4 or Small block eight 2.35. I am going to try the latter out very soon as it is very dry(for us) right now. I see the original poster is in GA, so that might be a bit closer to our type of conditions than Austin's.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    Kenda stickes will stick to wet rocks and roots better than ANY other tire made

The Nokian NBX 2.3s are very agressive and hook up well in DRY loose conditions

but a set of 2.1 Blue Grooves with sticke compound have MUCH better traction on wet rocks.

Contis are downright dangerous on wet rock

I haven't ridden the new Knobby Nics yet with the different compounds but my experience with several other Schwalbe tires is they are no match for the Kenda sticke compound

it's abundantly clear to me that compound trumps pattern when it comes to wet rock

I would recommend either Blue Groove 2.35s or Nevagal 2.35s
    sticke if it's wet most of the time, DTC if you want it to roll faster

a very popular combo is Nevagal 2.1 rear/BG 2.35 front
    that's what I run most of the time
    it matches well
    I agree with most every thing you wrote. I run the BG / Nev combo and like the traction on most any surface but the durability of the Kenda sidewalls has me looking elsewhere.

Last summer I got a Syncros Point-n-chute and it worked well on the rear. It was a duel compound like the Kenda but the sidewall didn't de-laminate. The one I had came in around 670g for th e2.35. Their FLT tires look like they have some promise as well.

https://www.syncros.com/tires.htm

Point-n-chute

FLT
    Last edited by SSINGA; 04-28-2006 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    actually, we have a good mix of terrain
    we have loose loamy soul, powdery stuff when a new trail is cut
    it usually gets bedded in and harder with some time and some rain..

most of it is loose rocks over hardpack and some roots

just an FYI, the Syncros tires are made by Kenda to their specs

I had actually talked with them about making some "HH" tires
    they'll do it if you got the coin !

Got A Lust for Life...
    That is cool.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    just an FYI, the Syncros tires are made by Kenda to their specs
    Just glad they spec'd a thicker sidewall. 3 out of 4 of my last Kenda's are coming apart at the seam. No stans was used in these tires either.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Last summer I got a Syncros Point-n-chute and it worked well on the rear. It was a duel compound like the Kenda but the sidewall didn't de-laminate. The one I had came in around 670g for th e2.35. Their FLT tires look like they have some promise as well.
    Great find!

What kind of terrain were you riding and riding style? What is their strength & weakness?

Are the Point-n-chute side knobs reinforced? Can the tires handle hard cornering?

Thx.

Mr. P

Aug 2005
    We just expanded the Bontrager range to include a 2.35 ACX and all of the feedback has been very good. The tire is tubeless ready (i.e. use with Super Juice or another sealant), has an abrasive resistant casing (AR Casing) and weighs in around 750 grams (nominal). I am a little biased but also would suggest the Big Earl 2.35 (either the Wet or Dry condition), which are also tubeless ready and are slightly heavier at 845g nominal. These tires do have slightly larger volume than the ACX 235 but are fantastic for trail use...

My 0.02 worth.

Bill

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Hmmm. I just allllmost pulled the trigger on the 2.4 ADvantage.
    D-Rock just had his first ride on the Fat Alberts and really liked them. I am ready to move bigger than the 2.1 High Rollers I am using now. I may get a set of those or some Spiders depending on what I find.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Apr 2006
    I am using a 2.5 Diesel up front. Love it, but it can buckle at low pressures on a CrossMax XL.

On the rear XL I have been running a WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4. Less than 600g.

This set-up works for me, but most tires do. I can run anything and make the riding adjustments that I need pretty easily. The Diesel/WTB combo fits what I do pretty well. I still can't believe that the Mutano has held up... it doesn't look all that great, but it keeps hanging in there. The weight is just too good to pass for me.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Just bought some Spiders on Performance for $19.99 each. I've got some friends who use 'em and like 'em.
    Also bought some lube, shorts and headset spacers (so I can finally cut my steerer where I want).
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I ended up buying some Spider UST's. We'll see how they work.
    Brian

not so super...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Not really an accurate sampling.
    I know johnmre, D-Rock, and LS who really like them and ride the same trails on <NOCRAPPLEASE>simliar bikes (4" Burner, 5" Salties)</NOCRAPPLEASE>.

Besides, they looked good on Tscheezy's graphs. If there's graphs they must be good
    Big hoopy.

Members who have read this thread: 0