Looking for used tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Looking for used tires

Looking to try and find a set of used tires. Looking for wire bead, 29 x 2.25 . Have a X caliber 8 2014 original wheels. I have 29 x 2.35 on it. Think the wheels are to narrow for the 2.35. Light bulb affect in the corners makes it very spongy and I did burp the bead couple times. Also if i let the air out I can break the bead by hand very easily.

Thank you
    Ed

Cycologist
    Ok, I suggest you tell people where you are located, most aren't going to bother checking your profile like I just did (you're listed as Mooresville, NC). Unless you're willing to pay for shipping, which is doubtful. Why do you want wire bead?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I newer to this sport. I may be assuming wrong. Does the wire bead make it harder to burp
    in cornering? The tires that I'm currently running are very easy for the bead to come off. I'm figuring the wire bead would help this ?? When I inflated them not pop was noticed at all. Tires are Schwalbe 29 x 2.35. Original equipment 29 x 2.20 front and 2.00 rear.

Cycologist
    Did you have the original tires set-up tubeless and no issues? It sounds more like an issue with the rims, you're sure they are tubeless ready? Tires should "pop" when first mounted, that is the bead setting; are you talking about the new tires? Most riders don't run wire beads, maybe downhillers still do, not sure.

What Schwalbes are you running and what wheels? Some tires are a bit "looser" than others but the beads shouldn't be very easy to come off. If these are the ones that aren't popping, you aren't getting the bead set; which means you are running tubes?

Edit: ok, I see you listed the bike. Wheels are "Shimano RM66 center lock alloy hubs w/Bontrager AT-850 32-hole double-walled rims". But are you running tubes or tubeless?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Meatbomb
    It might be time for you to take up bowling....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The original wheels and tires , Bontrager I ran with tubes. I bought a set of used schwalbe , Nobby nic and racing Ralph to run tubeless on the original wheels/rims. The only issue with the schwalbes is the burping in the corners. I beleive the rims maybe to narrow for the wider tires? 29 x 2.35
    original tire size 2.00 in the rear and 2.20 in the front.
    sorry for the confusion

I appreciate your qusetions and answers.

BOWLING ... guess its better than crochet

Cycologist
    Ok, first thing, are you getting the beads to set on the current tires? I would think so if they are holding air tubeless, but maybe not. There is a little line in the rubber that should show evenly around the tire, about 1/4 of an inch off of the edge of the wheel, all the way around, on both sides. If you're not seeing that, the bead isn't seated.

If they are seated, how worn are the tires? Do they weep sealant through the sidewalls? I had a Trailblazer that had a damaged sidewall. It appeared mostly ok but was pretty squirmy at low pressure on a flow trail. It is also possible that the tire has a damaged bead. Are both tires squirmy and easy to come off?

If the tires are in good condition and seated properly, you may be running too low pressure. What are you running? But the tire still shouldn't easily come off.

I don't know the spec on your rim but pretty sure they should be able to run 2.35s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Go to the bike shop, seriously.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Tires are getting seated, I can see the little line .It is even all around rim/tire.

Tires maybe just worn out. tread looks to be ok. No seeping of sealant just when it burps some at the bead.

20-24 psi. Ill try raising pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The rims might be too narrow, they also might not be tubeless rims. Try adding more tape to the rim so the tire is on tighter.

wire bead tires are junk

Cycologist
    That should be plenty of pressure unless you are really heavy. I think Suns is right, go to the bike shop and have them look at it.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    You need a 2.3" tire, in folding/kevlar bead. Screw the wire beads. PM me, I have a barely-used pair of 2018 Maxxis Aggressor 29 x 2.3 EXO/TR I can sell you. You will absolutely LOVE THEM....

~ Fast
    ~ Grippy
    ~ Wears great
    ~ 870g/ea
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius