Looking for some spiked/studded tires for my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for some spiked/studded tires for my bike

Considering the Continental Spike Claw or Kenda Klondike, since they are more reasonable than the Nokian. Anyone have feedback on these or others? The Innova have another thread, and didn't sound all that good, even though they are cheap.

fuggansonofahowa
    I stick with the Nokians. You basically get what you pay for in this case....the Nokians, with their carbide studs, will last beyond the lifetime of the tire. Schwalbe now makes a studded tire with carbide studs that rates quite well also. Carbon steel studs wear fast.

Here's a good read on the subject, Peter White knows his studs: Studded Tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the continentals and Kenda's don't work as well?

fuggansonofahowa
    I can't say first hand....from what I gather, they work fine. You just don't want to put a lot of bare road mileage because their studs will wear quicker. I didn't want to worry about riding on tar and rocks, so I go carbide.....which is the more expensive route.

The Nokians suggest you ride them on bare road for the first 30 miles or so to help seat the studs.

What kind of riding are you planning this winter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    On the paved bike trails, and try some single tracks

No, that's not phonetic
    The Kendas seem to put the studs off to the side, and not along the main contact patch strip. The studs sit by and watch while you slip and slide around. Amazingly stupid design.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by r32657
    Considering the Continental Spike Claw or Kenda Klondike, since they are more reasonable than the Nokian. Anyone have feedback on these or others? The Innova have another thread, and didn't sound all that good, even though they are cheap.

I have considered the Innovas myself, with the expectation that they will only last through the 3 months of winter.

wuss
    Nokian all the way. I have used the Freddies Revenz Lite for 1 1/2 years and they are going strong. Not one spike missing and plenty of tread left, even though I use it for riding to work too (lot's of day's with no snow / ice).

The only other winter tire I'd consider is the Nokian WXC 300. That should have almost as good traction on ice, but not quite as good tread on softer snow. On the other hand it weighs 30% less the the Freddies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I run Nokian W160 front and rear on the commuter. Lots of no-snow days but they seem to be holding up fine. While I wouldn't want to commute on something like Freddie's Revenz, I would like more studs up front, for the icy days. I'd go with the 240 stud Nokians front and rear, or 240 front/160 rear. If I recall correctly, the WXC 300 doesn't get great marks for durability and the Freddie's are really not commuting tires. However, I'd love to have the Freddie's on my offroad machine. My commuting happens in Iceland, the weather changes every minute so I see everything from clear paths through snow to ice rink quality ice during the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I ran the Nokian Freddies Revenz last winter and will be using them again this year. IMO, they are worth the extra money if you can fit them. I got a chance to do a lot of winter trail riding last year in places where theres lots of rocks and I only lost one stud. The traction is just unbelievable, very confidence inspiring while riding on ice or hardpack.

wuss
    Yeah, I use the Freddies even for Commuting, but I only have about 8km per way to the office so I don't mind having more rolling resistance.

The tires are a lot of fun when it's so slippery that people can hardly stand up. The looks on peoples faces when you blast past at full speed are very funny.

fuggansonofahowa
    I've been riding the Freddie's too and can atest to their awesome traction both on the road and off. Suprisingly, they aren't as sluggish as I expected them to be on the road. I do ride 2.3's in the warmer season, so take it with a grain-o-salt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those Freddie's are really getting some great reviews here, hope I get some for Christmas. I had great expectations for them for the offroad bike but it sounds like they are even better than I hoped. Would also love to get a Hakkapeliitta W240 to use on the front of the commuter. Now if only Santa reads mtbr.
    Going full out on ice when people can barely stand is fun.

wuss
    They do slip, just in a very predictable way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone tried the schwalbe tires? I hear they have carbid now.

wuss
    There where a few people (I don't know) on a Finnish forum who said they where ok. All of them based the opinion on one (or just a few) rides. Supposedly the felt squirmy on snow, but I don't know what the comparison was to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just scored a pair of (barely) used Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240s for a fair price. I had intended to put one on the front of the commuter but now that I have two I might just put the pair of them on the mountainbike, till I can get some Freddies for it. I'll let you know how they work out after I get a chance to mount them and ride them. I'm a bit worried about traction in the rough, going from Panaracer Cinders, 26x2.25 to the 26x1.9 Nokians, but with the ice we have now I don't really have a choice if I want to ride, I need the studs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's the other thing that surprised me, why are the widths at about 1.9?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I guess they are mostly seen as commuting tires rather than offroad tires. The most aggressive Nokian studded tires are 2.1 and 2.3 though, the Extreme 294 (2.1), Hakka 300 (2.1) and Freddies Revenz (2.3). I understand even those are narrow compared to the stated width though. http://www.suomityres.fi/winter.html

Members who have read this thread: 0