mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Looking for great tire combo - using Onza Ibex

Picked up a Evil Following recently, really enjoying it. It came with Onza Ibex 2.4 front and back. I'm actually happy with these tires except in the wet. Damp roots and mud are like riding on ice. Is there a similar tire that holds up well, great traction dry and wet?

I was considering sticking with the Ibex for the front and getting the Onza Canis for the rear (2.25) or something like the Ardent for the rear in a 2.3. Maybe get a Minion for the front...? Any suggestions would be great!!

Most of my riding is done on fast flowy trails, some rocks and roots. Definitely gets wet too.

mtbr member
    What tire pressure are you running? How's your suspension set up? I've been running the same tires and I found I needed to run a lower pressure than I normally would. I went by feel instead of numbers. Also, I usually slow rebound a click or two if it's really wet.

Just my anecdotal experience. I think these tires hook up very well and clear mud better than most.

If you're looking for more traction, I'd cross the Canis and Ardent right off your list. Highroller 2's in 3C or DHF/DHRII would be better options.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I started out using a lower pressure of 18f/20r and lately, worked up to 26f/28r which seems pretty good except for the wet. I noticed when riding with a friend, he has Maxxis Aggressor in the back and I believe the minions in the front, is that he has grip city compared to me. When my tires had caked mud over the treads, his was clear.

Good point with the rebound, definitely worth slowing down the rebound! What tire pressure are you using with your Ibex? Assuming tubeliss...

Newer to mtb so excuse my newb question but what does 3C, DHF, DHR mean? I have been meaning to look that up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt46 View Post
    I started out using a lower pressure of 18f/20r and lately, worked up to 26f/28r which seems pretty good except for the wet. I noticed when riding with a friend, he has Maxxis Aggressor in the back and I believe the minions in the front, is that he has grip city compared to me. When my tires had caked mud over the treads, his was clear.

Good point with the rebound, definitely worth slowing down the rebound! What tire pressure are you using with your Ibex? Assuming tubeliss...

Newer to mtb so excuse my newb question but what does 3C, DHF, DHR mean? I have been meaning to look that up!
    I think I run 22-23 psi front and rear. Maxxis' triple compound is called 3C. The edge knobs will be a softer rubber than a dual compound like the Aggressor.

DHF stands for Downhill Front and DHR stands for Downhill Rear. They are just an easy choice when it comes to choosing tires. I tossed out the Highroller 2 option because it's similar to the Ibex.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Great, thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    The Ibex are a great tyre in rocky, dry terrain...

I ran one up front on my AM 29er HT for a while. Until Autumn came along.

The center lugs don't offer enough bite to prevent things from going sideways.

I'm currently running on the same bike a Specialized Butcher Gripton 2.6... which is actually quite similar to the Ibex. Just with better center lugs.

And, I'm loving it for all sorts of riding.

I'm also a big fan of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf. A superb front tyre, that only reveals it's short comings i.e. packing up, on sodden trails.

Out back on both my steads I run Michelin Wild AM tyres.

During the summer months I'll go Rock Razor on my 29er mule & WTB Trailboss on my 27.5 Enduro rig.

FYI - I run the Magic Mary year round on my 650b stead... Best front tyre there is IMO.

If my 29er fork were a little wider, I'd have the MM on it also ^^

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been running a 2.4 Ibex up front and a 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor out back on my Turner Flux. I ride in northeast PA mostly with a lot of rocks, roots, and everything else. For where I ride, I like this combo. Pressure depends on the conditions.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt46 View Post
    Picked up a Evil Following recently, really enjoying it. It came with Onza Ibex 2.4 front and back. I'm actually happy with these tires except in the wet. Damp roots and mud are like riding on ice. Is there a similar tire that holds up well, great traction dry and wet?

I was considering sticking with the Ibex for the front and getting the Onza Canis for the rear (2.25) or something like the Ardent for the rear in a 2.3. Maybe get a Minion for the front...? Any suggestions would be great!!

Most of my riding is done on fast flowy trails, some rocks and roots. Definitely gets wet too.
    If your newer to MTB you might be facing a riding technique issue. Wet off camber roots and rocks are tough and body positioning will play a larger role than the tire. Even if have super soft rubber compounds you can still hook a cornering knob and go for a ride. Would you say its more front tire or rear tire your having this issue with?

Is it a Following or a Following MB? If its an MB you could build up a set of 27.5+ wheels which will provide a noticeable traction difference. If its an original Following then look at solid grippy tires like the DHF/DHR2 combo recommended above.

Aside from tires and tire pressure you can also look at dropping 10psi in your shock. Evils are a little stiff on the top end of the shock until they get into their stroke, this will help the rear end conform to the terrain and not fight you as much. The downside is you will loose some pedaling efficiency and potentially blow through all the travel quicker. I play this game a lot with my Calling.