mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Looking for 29er tire recommendations

Hi all, I'm currently running Schwalbe Magic Mary's (29 x 2.35").
    Would like to know of equivalent tires (of other brands) in terms of performance such as the Maxxis DHF's. The trails I ride on tend to be muddy and wet during the monsoon season here in Singapore. it's mostly dirt during the dry seasons but some times the ground is still damp in certain parts of the trail due to thick canopy from the vegetation. i would say it's loose during dry season for some trails, and for others it's more rocky.
    The brands I'm more interested in looking at are Specialized and Vittoria btw. Oh, and Bontrager has little to no presence here (there is a Trek dealer but I'm not a fan of that retailer), so I guess any of its tires can be left out of the suggestion.
    One more thing - I am riding a 160mm travel 29er enduro bike, so Iím not too concerned about weight, but worried about overkill (Maxxis Double Down casing and the likes) - I can deal with heavier stuff, but would not like to add unnecessary stuff for trying to ďplay safeĒ or ďbomb-proofĒ the bike.
    Thanks all for reading, hope to get your answers soon!
    Last edited by Shadow4eva; 12-10-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edited more info

mtbr member
    I used to love running specialized butcher! I just couldnít deal with having to replace the tire before the end of the season. Grip galore though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    I used to love running specialized butcher! I just couldnít deal with having to replace the tire before the end of the season. Grip galore though!

Thanks for the reply! I did read up about the butcher a little bit before I even got my current bike, but Iím curious - was the bucther you used using the gripton compound?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I live in Bergen, Norway, where its steep, wet, muddy, rooty and rocky. I went from 27.5x2.6 magic mary ultrasoft front and rear to 29x2.5 shorty front and dhr2 rear. Both DD and maxxgrip. I want maximum grip and tires I can run with low pressures. Got to say im very happy with this combo. I originally was disappointed when I saw the MM line in 29", but this new combo is great!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Bump?

Hisforever
    been looking at tires lately. special ed hillbillys look like a mm alternative but have no experience. Dont really care for grid casing but Blk diamond maybe better to where its worth trying??

im shopping for a 29 tire. DHF/DHR is a good. Shorty may be somewhat less well rounded but kills it in the right conditions.

DHRII's are great front and rear.

still on the fence...hope more chime in
    Jesus Saves

Gigantic Hawk
    I've had good luck with E13's new tires. I will probably try their newest tire, the semi-slick, next season on the rear. My only issue with the E13 tires (non semi-slick) is that they have a bit of rolling resistance to them. They are not quick to accelerate.

I also really like the XR4 from Bontrager. I've found the Bontrager tires to be a good value as they have great grip, last for a least a season, are fairly light weight, and do tubeless well. I am thinking about an XR4 in 2.6" for the front for next season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Semi-slicks arent equal to magic mary

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post
    Semi-slicks arent equal to magic mary

I'm aware that they aren't the same. I currently have the regular E13 TRS tires which I like better than the MM's on my hardtail. I have a DHR II and Aggressor combo on my Mondraker which I will be replacing soon. I have yet to find a Schwalbe tire that I truly like. They all seem to suffer from rear wash out on wet and slippery roots here in Maine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm aware that they aren't the same. I currently have the regular E13 TRS tires which I like better than the MM's on my hardtail. I have a DHR II and Aggressor combo on my Mondraker which I will be replacing soon. I have yet to find a Schwalbe tire that I truly like. They all seem to suffer from rear wash out on wet and slippery roots here in Maine.
    Did you try MM ultra soft rear?

mtbr member
    I think youíre on the right track when you mentioned the Minion DHF. That tire in 3C and EXO casing (2.3 or 2.5WT) is awesome up front in the dry (maybe the best, just depends on what you like) and very very good in the wet as long as itís not gloopy mud - the DHF doesnít clear mud all that great, but those long-ways siped center blocks are great at finding grip on wet roots and to rocks. As for the rear, the DHR2 is fantastic, although again itís not the best at clearing mud. I really enjoyed the DHF front/High Roller 2 rear combo for the wet months (the HR2 clears mud a lot better and corners like a beast) and thought it was fun but maybe a bit draggy in the dry.

Right now Iím running a Minion DHF 2.5WT up front and a Vittoria Gato our back. The Gato is a weird tire as itís designed for wet weather but has tons of little super siped knobs. The Gato packs up in goopy mud (which is when I shouldnít be on the trails anyway) but those little siped knobs grip very well in the wet.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Out front...?? Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35, Specialized Butcher 2.6 Gripton... both of these options are great front tires (although, at somewhat different ends of the grip/acceleration/weight spectrum).

Hans Dampf would be the best front 'trail' tire ^^ if it only cleared mud a little better.

The Butcher 2.6 (more like 2.4 aka same width as Magic Mary 2.35) is another superb trail/AM front tyre. Slightly slower rolling & heavier than the HD. It clears mud way better.

PS - best front tire is the MM (in 27.5 config)... My new FS 29er (soon to arrive) has MM's front & back.

MM = definitely overkill outback & for some reason - in my mind... slightly too much up front o_0 Not sure why I think/feel this. Just do ^^

Maxxis = heavy (for sizing), narrow & too thin on top i.e. between tread >.<

Bontrager = reasonable straight line grip/rolling speed... Lack of decent cornering knobs - has them (think XR4) only as a rear tire option for me.

I've run lots of different tire brands/models over my time riding.

Some generalisations (couple re-mentioned)

Schwalbe - fast rolling, fast wearing (on rear at least - no problem up front), good/great grip, ok weight

Maxxis - too narrow/thin (EXO - never done DD i.e. too heavy), hefty if going 2.4+... Caveat - one of my favorite all-time rear trail tires is/are the Ardent Race 2.2-2.35

Michelin - good variety/options, good weight/grip/volume/rolling... My current go-to rear tire on both my mules is the Wild AM. Durability probably not as good as a Maxxis/Specialized....

Bontrager - good volume/rolling speed/weight. Lacking grip (side knobs). Majority of my riding is on damp/muddy trails & the XR4 (front/back) just didn't cut it grip wise. The XR3 was an orthodontist visit waiting to happen >.< NB, if someone rides rocky/dry trails Bontys would likely be fine.

Onza (Ibex) - good volume, rolling speed... Side knobs ok but centre knobs are almost semi-slick. Great in the dry, dangerous (up front) in the damp. Keen to try other models.

Specialized - (Butcher 2.6) good all terrain front tire. Little heavy/draggy. But, again - up front... it's mint ^^ Gonna get a 2.6 Purgatory for the rear on my AM HT 29er.

Interested in trying Vittoria, look a little heavy in their more aggressive models.

My tire priorities
    1) Volume - measure up to spec.
    2) Rolling speed
    3) Grip
    4) Durability

2 & 3 are interchangeable on any given day...

I'm always on the lookout for that Goldilocks tire.

PS - front & rear tires need different characteristics, so I always run different tires front to back.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Looking for 29er tire recommendations

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Iím still trying to narrow down the tire combi, my current plan for the next combi (after stock) is actually a maxxis dhf front paired with an aggressor rear.

mtbr member
    TBF I am trying a 2.5 Maxxis Aggressor outback on my soon to arrive 160mm travel 29er ^^

Hopefully it doesn't look too small when compared to the Magic Mary up front o_0

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm also riding on the same trail that you mentioned. Currently on a dhf/dhf 2.3 combo. 3c maxxterra. Exo. I think double down or whatever extra protection is overkill for those trails. I never slashed a sidewall yet. Never washed out since i switched from my previous nobby nics. Even if the trails are damp and the roots are wet. 3c maxxterra saved me a couple of times. I can feel it, it will slide but still it will grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! Iím still trying to narrow down the tire combi, my current plan for the next combi (after stock) is actually a maxxis dhf front paired with an aggressor rear.

I ran the DHF 2.5WT front and Aggressor 2.5WT rear combo all summer in my corner of NorCal (lots of dust, rocks and roots) and loved it. I ran the Aggressor in DD casing because of the fast, dusty and rocky conditions and actually really liked the feel of the DD out back (feels firmer and more damped than EXO at same psi). Once it starts to get wet, the limits of the Aggressor become apparent - it does fine in loam, but that big blocky center tread slides on wet roots and rocks and it really (and I mean really) doesnít like it once it gets muddy. Anyway, Aggressor out back works really well for me 8 months of the year, but then itís time to get something better in the wet out back.

Before getting the Gato, I considered the Maxxis Forekaster, which Iíve heard does well in dry and loose conditions as well as the wet and rolls decent.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck