Lightest 29er wheels for <$600 ? Several builds inside.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lightest 29er wheels for <$600 ? Several builds inside.

Having a hard time deciphering what to purchase.
    Im about 6ft 3 195-197lbs , No including backpack. I dont ride anywhere with significant drops. (Unless I screw up of course)

Im looking for the lightest Wheelset I can get but stay under 600$. Im tempted to go the China Carbon route but 90% of the feedback I see is about the rims not the full wheelsets.

Im guessing Crests wont be recommended even for my riding style.

Heres my choices however I cant tell what the final weight will be

Please recommend other options in that price range.

((FR = 15 MM , RR = 135 QR))

Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels
    $385 shipped
    Shipping and stock time means I wont see these until Late July early August =-(

Mountain Bike Disc Wheels | Merlin Cycles
    Hope Pro 2 + Arch rims
    $485 about 2 week turnaround.

New Custom Stans ZTR Arch EX 29er Disc Mountain Bike Wheelset SRAM x9 x 9 Hubs | eBay

These guys have a web front where you can customize the build. It also has a stated weight of about 1867
    $440 shipped.

Ive seen the Easton havons but dislike the magnesium color. Black or White only.

If it makes any difference video of the most technical trail I ride.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yTWi__i5Az0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by manmythlegend; 07-03-2013 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    You're pretty heavy to be considering building the lightest wheels you can. Kinda asking for trouble and reliability issues...

But either way, i19's on a light hub and revs or lasers is about as light as you're going to get while maintaining any sort of reliability. Hopes are good/light and pretty affordable. Thats an easy build under 600 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You're pretty heavy to be considering building the lightest wheels you can. Kinda asking for trouble and reliability issues...

But either way, i19's on a light hub and revs or lasers is about as light as you're going to get while maintaining any sort of reliability. Hopes are good/light and pretty affordable. Thats an easy build under 600 bucks.
    Am I ?
    It always seems Im at the cutoff point along with many comments of "long as you aint jumpin off no rocks" make me think I shouldnt be overly concerned. I avoided crest arch have a 230lb recommended limit. That should cover me no ?

Can you provide links to a wheelset ? Im not ready to build up my own wheelset if thats whats needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have no input on the wheelsets you listed other than the chinese carbons, which have really good reviews. The hubs are supposedly not the best but i've not seen problems in person. Light-bicycle has different hub options too...

So, that's my vote.

lamer
    I have a set of the Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo ZTR Crest 29er wheels. I'm anywhere between 195-205 all geared up, and ride hardpack and rooty trails. In the past year I've had to get the rear trued up a couple of times, but other than that they've been 100% reliable. The set is approximately 1680g according to my hanging Park Tool scale. I just recently swapped to a pair of Light-bicycle carbon rims laced to DT 240s hubs, and the difference in strength is so noticeable. I never understood what people meant by "flexy" wheels, but I can tell now that the Crests, like most any lightweight aluminum wheels, were way too flexy. My point is that I think you should swing for the LB carbon rims and lace them to something affordable, like Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. A rough guesstimate puts the build price at least 700, though. You can get the LB "wider" 29er rims at about 380g each, and that's the same weight as a Crest rim, plus they'll be much, much stiffer than Crests or Arches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 200 out of the shower and when I had a wheelset built, I was recommended Hope2 Evo FlowEX 36 spoke. The builder felt with the 36 hole, they coould go lighter spoke and actually build a stronger wheel for the same weight as a 32 spoke wheel.

No way I'd be looking at those light rims. You may also find you like what a wider rim will do for your tire profile and traction. I'm really liking the FloxEX rims.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I buy light bicycle rims and then look for used hubs. Lots of times you can get the hubs laced to a 26" wheel for dirt cheap because no one wants to buy 26" wheels.

Spokes+nipples run about .50 at dans comp

Wheel building is usually 30-50/wheel (I build my own). After 4 wheels the equipment is paid for (truing stand, tensionometer, spoke wrench).