A lighter DHF?- Mtbr.com

Thread: A lighter DHF?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A lighter DHF?

Love the cornering of the 29x2.3 DHF dual compound front tire (but, I admit the transition zone gets my attention sometimes).
    I hate the weight. 1005g.

Would a cut or uncut DHR II 29x2.3 at 825g or maybe a Bontrager XR4 29x2.4 at 780g be a reasonably similar replacement?

Top Fuel, 21 or 23mm inner rims. 160lb smooth rider, don't jump or ride super rough trails.

Many thanks,
    Bob

aka bOb
    Maybe a XR5, a little lighter but not a lot at 890g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Michelin Wild AM Competition 29 x 2.35.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I dont think you will notice 100-150 grams in a front tire, in your first 20 miles of a ride. Buy a front tire that suits your needs, as far as tread style, tubeless, width, sidewall protection, rubber compounds, and price. These parameters are way more important than a simple "100 gram lighter tire will make me faster". The trails are littered with the corpses of riders that "saved 100 grams", their corpses rot and their bikes turn to dust and blow away in the wind. A calamity of death and destruction, all to save the weight of a 1/4er Pounder w/ cheese.

mtbr member
    So, you have an XC bike with narrow rims and you don't ride aggressive trails... why not step down to a Forekaster or a Rekon? Sounds like you don't need anything like a Minion. If you're still unsure about grip, maybe a High Roller?
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Yes, the XR4 would be a great choice. Very good grip, predictable and rolls well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a 29x3 xr4 and love it. I like it way better than my old DHF. Tons of grip and fast rolling. You won't be sorry with an XR4. Hit up @mikesee for the best prices I've found.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    XR5 is a better replacement for a DHF but I would only put it on the front. I'd put an SE5 on the rear.

always licking the glass
    Yeah you definitely donít need a DHF. where do you ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

since 4/10/2009
    why you using a DHF?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, for years I've ridden cross country, short knob tires, and I still like them. I relied on finesse, and it suits my style.

I agree that I don't really need the DHF. Heck, I've ridden an 18lb, 72mm travel hardtail with Pythons all over the US.
    But, I tried the DHF with more aggressive cornering technique, and enjoy it. My favorite trails are relatively smooth, but there are some rougher, more natural trails as well. Fairly smooth rocks, and huge roots in some areas.

Forgot to add: I'm in Southeast Michigan. Poto and Brighton (Torn Shirt) are 10 minutes from my home. DTE is about 20 mins.

They all tend to be dry hardpack with a layer of sand (with fairly blown-out corners), which is surprisingly slippery. The DHF grips amazingly in those conditions.
    I know you guys will crack up over this: but I will sometimes run a DHF front with a Race King rear. Works really well on DTE. Not so much on sections of the Poto and Torn Shirt.

The weight savings is more like 200g because my DHF is 1005g.
    I know weight shouldn't matter, but it does to me. I can really feel the weight on the tires/wheels. Just got a new wheelset, and lost >500g.
    My trails don't have 17 mile downhills (or climbs), but they are twisty with short, steep climbs and descents. Lots of accelerations and turns, where I feel the weight.

I'm also an older guy that can't ride enough to get as fit as I'd like, so decreased weight is a way to compensate.

Bob

mtbr member
    Maybe try something like a Nobby Nic?

mtbr member
    Well dhr2 has same side knobs so should feel similar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    XR4 is good on dirt but suuuuccks on wet roots. Compound is definitely harder than a MaxTerra DHF. But if that isn't a concern, I would recommend it. Clears mud very well too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I donít blame you. I run a DHF on the front of my xc style bike. Love the cornering, though Iím not bothered by the weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Forekaster is a lot lighter, has great grip up front, but your rim is narrow and the tire is notoriously narrow for a 2.35. I run a DHF 2.35 and while it's a pig in the weight departmengt, the traction is awesome on my 24 and 27mm ID rims. I did not enjoy my XR4 2.4 at any psi up front or rear in my loose over hardpack. FWIW, I'm 160 pound, Cat 1 XC, aggressive yet good at picking smooth lines.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post
    Love the cornering of the 29x2.3 DHF dual compound front tire (but, I admit the transition zone gets my attention sometimes).
    I hate the weight. 1005g.

Would a cut or uncut DHR II 29x2.3 at 825g or maybe a Bontrager XR4 29x2.4 at 780g be a reasonably similar replacement?

Top Fuel, 21 or 23mm inner rims. 160lb smooth rider, don't jump or ride super rough trails.

Many thanks,
    Bob
    According to Maxxis...your 2.3 Minion DHF only weighs 925g, not 1005...thatís the 2.5 WT version.

Rocks belong
    Both of the tires I was going to recommend have been mentioned: XR5 or Wild AM
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    My tires:

DHF 29x2.30 TR 3C EXO - 970g
    Magic Mary 29x2.35 Addix Soft - 859g
    XR4 29x2.4 Team Issue - 768g

I'd go with MM. XR4 is fine in the front but I'd only pair it with a lighter rear tire for less gnarly stuff.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Think you have your weights wrong. The 'official' weight for a 2.3 29" Minion is 925g. I've got a collection of them in my spares box & they are all sub 900g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is really cool to have so many tire options.
    Magic Mary is definitely on my radar to try someday.
    The Forekaster is well liked, but I had a front slip unexpectedly several times on corners that I know well. Might have been inattention or fatigue, but I removed them.
    XR5 looks like a beast.
    Tried a Butcher: 795g (less than advertized, a rarity for me), decent roller and cornered well. But it had a vague turn-in compared to the DHF.

I do seem to have bad luck with tire weight.
    Two Fast Traks are 90g heavier than advertized, a 2.1 Ground Control is 100g heavier, Forekasters were substantially heavier, etc.
    My brand-new DHF weighed 1005g on an accurate digital scale.

I'm trying to balance weight, grip and rolling resistance. The DHF amazed me because it accommodated my "non-DHF optimized" technique. In other words, it is pretty forgiving.
    Rolling resistance is also surprisingly decent.

I ordered a DHR and an XR4. It is fun (but expensive) trying new tires.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    My tires:

DHF 29x2.30 TR 3C EXO - 970g
    Magic Mary 29x2.35 Addix Soft - 859g
    XR4 29x2.4 Team Issue - 768g

I'd go with MM. XR4 is fine in the front but I'd only pair it with a lighter rear tire for less gnarly stuff.
    Is this the specific MM variant you run up front? https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...folding-640981

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    After running the DHF 2.5 3c up front for a long time, I'm on the Spesh Eliminator these last 2 tires and definitely prefer it. Rolls better, lighter, very nearly the same traction.

Someone mentioned the NN. I tried the NN 2.6 Apex latest one up front and the traction was pretty atrocious. Not in my top 15 front tires for my riding style. However it may be the next front for my wife's bike for light duty trail work.

mtbr member
    DHR 2.3 has a smaller transition zone, and was designed for narrower rims. I wouldn't cut it, the peeps who talk about cutting do so for softer terrain so the tyre can dig in.

I tried the previous XR4 on a iw23mm rim, and didn't find it as predictable as the DHR2, from what I've read here the XR4 works really well with rims of ~iw30mm. It may be too big for a iw21-23 rim, and not have enough support, so it'll feel vague or weird until the bike is settled in the corner

The Wild AM get's a lot of love, and has a squarer profile, so will work well on narrower rims. It's light'ish for it's size.

I'm interested to hear how your new tyres work for you.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Is this the specific MM variant you run up front? https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...folding-640981
    Was this one:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...29-106344.html

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Think you have your weights wrong. The 'official' weight for a 2.3 29" Minion is 925g. I've got a collection of them in my spares box & they are all sub 900g.
    LOL. I weight every tire new, without packaging, stickers and zip ties. And before it soaks sealant. The scale is not calibrated but matches another scale to a gram, so I believe it. I take the scale into stores if buying retail and ask ebay sellers weigh before shipping.

To upset even more:
    Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.50 WT TR 3C EXO - 1065g (60tpi and heavier than spec)

And to surprise:
    Maxxis Minion DHF 29x3.0 3C Maxx Terra TR EXO 120TPI - 1100g (this is true 3.0 tire, huge)

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    DHR 2.3 has a smaller transition zone, and was designed for narrower rims. I wouldn't cut it, the peeps who talk about cutting do so for softer terrain so the tyre can dig in.

I tried the previous XR4 on a iw23mm rim, and didn't find it as predictable as the DHR2, from what I've read here the XR4 works really well with rims of ~iw30mm. It may be too big for a iw21-23 rim, and not have enough support, so it'll feel vague or weird until the bike is settled in the corner

The Wild AM get's a lot of love, and has a squarer profile, so will work well on narrower rims. It's light'ish for it's size.

I'm interested to hear how your new tyres work for you.
    Second that. XR4 and SE4 are very round even on the 29 id tires. Won't use it on 23mm.
    DHF 2.3 and Magic Mary are right though. MM is 100g lighter and IMO rolls faster. Probably outperforms in grip, too. But it has quite a different feel and DHF definitely deserves its place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Can someone please tell me where they have read that the newer bonti tyres need i30mm rims?

I replaced my 2.6" dfh/dhf with 2.6" xr5/xr4 recently on i29 rims @ 21/18psi I weigh 83kgs. They are slightly lighter than the dhf but i have noticed that they carry speed better on flat sections and accelerate better. I have not noticed any significant traction loss for how i ride. Last weekend was damp, i did not have any issues with the xr4 in the rear over tree roots.

I run 2.4 xr3/2.2 xr2 on my xc ht on i25 rims @ 23/27psi. Not as grippy as the above but still does well for how they're ridden

Having a nice day!
    I've been running an Onza Ibex 2.25 recently on the front of my lightweight build version and it has very impressive traction for it's light weight (705g with the 120 tpi version in 27.5). Now you might think 2.25 is small (and it is by today's standards), but since it is a measuring right at 2.25 on 22.5mm rims, I'd dare say it is very close to the notoriously small running Maxxis tires. Just another option to toss out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh boy. I do like round profile tires...but that XR4 may not mix well with my narrow rims.
    I'm starting to corner harder, but so far I haven't noticed any squirminess. I run my pressures around 22-25psi.

Bontrager has a nice return policy.
    I assume the XR5 would have the same issue?

Hmm...that Onza looks pretty nice. On sale for $43 at Jenson...

SO many choices!

Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post
    Oh boy. I do like round profile tires...but that XR4 may not mix well with my narrow rims.
    I'm starting to corner harder, but so far I haven't noticed any squirminess. I run my pressures around 22-25psi.

Bontrager has a nice return policy.
    I assume the XR5 would have the same issue?

Hmm...that Onza looks pretty nice. On sale for $43 at Jenson...

SO many choices!

Bob
    Is the $43 Jenson Onza Ibex available in 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like they have a couple in stock.

Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Yeah you definitely donít need a DHF. where do you ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Edit: Nevermind.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Is the $43 Jenson Onza Ibex available in 29er?
    That tire would be good for narrower rims
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful