"Light-er" 29x2.6 tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"Light-er" 29x2.6 tires?

Looking to replace the 29x2.6 Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic combo on a Ripley V3 LS. Rims are the Ibis 938 with a 34mm internal width.

Is there something out there that's a bit lighter and faster rolling? The Forekaster/Rekon is a combo I'm considering. The terrain is mostly hard, loose over hard, with some sand thrown in.

Thanks!

Always in the wrong gear
    Iíve liked the Forekaster/Rekon combo on my singlespeed. I live in Phoenix, everything is rocky, loose-over-hard. The Rekon was pretty tractionless at 900 miles, but was good and grippy for about 750 of those miles. I used the 60tpi EXO version, and had no holes or cuts. It rolls pretty alright, but not amazing.

Iím trying a 2.6 Ikon this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Rocket Ron 2.6 would be a good choice, light and fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bontrager XR2 Team 2.6 can go to low pressure because of the high volume more rounded tread design.
    120tpi 745g. The design matches with 40mm rims.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/11866/
    This design gets you a bigger footprint for more traction than other 2.6 tires.
    You can run a 2.35 XR2 front at low pressure on your rim. 675g. Depends on your terrain, speed and rim hits.
    XR3 2.4 has the same center knobs as the XR2 2.35 with larger outer knobs.
    Because of lower pressure design of rounded tread/high volume you may get '2.6' traction from these 2.35 tires.
    Inserts are another tool to go lower in pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Rocket Ron 2.6 would be a good choice, light and fast rolling.
    It would be a great choice, but the biggest 29er RoRo is, sadly, 2.25"!
    I've used the 27.5x2.6 RoRo and it's a great tire, though it doesn't corner up front particularly well.

I've used the 29x2.6 Rekon up front and never will again. It corners like a Golden Retriever on a linoleum floor. On the back, it has okay grip, but loose over hard isn't it's strong point even at low pressure.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Forekaster is more equivalent to a Nobby Nic so you're taking a step down in traction capability but pairs well with a Rekon in the back and will save you some weight. Be aware that the Maxxis tires are undersized, so you are going to lose volume and width if you switch to them.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I've used the 29x2.6 Rekon up front and never will again. It corners like a Golden Retriever on a linoleum floor. On the back, it has okay grip, but loose over hard isn't it's strong point even at low pressure.
    I've read this from you and a few others and it always leaves me scratching my head. It's an XC tire not an enduro tire up front. Treat it like a racecar tire (smooth inputs managing braking, steering angle, and lean) instead of a rally car tire (throwing it into turns and praying that the side knobs hook up) and it'll do fine in my experience on hardpack and loose over hard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    I've read this from you and a few others and it always leaves me scratching my head. It's an XC tire not an enduro tire up front. Treat it like a racecar tire (smooth inputs managing braking, steering angle, and lean) instead of a rally car tire (throwing it into turns and praying that the side knobs hook up) and it'll do fine in my experience on hardpack and loose over hard.
    Yeah, it's a XC/Light Trail tire that does fine as long as you don't throw it around and expect it to be a Minion. I've run it front and back and it does just fine for an 800 gram tire in dry terrain. In fact, probably better than just about any other 800 gram 29/2.6 tire out there IMO.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Rekons are great on hero dirt. Everything is, though. The OP is looking for a lighter replacement for a Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic combo. Loose over hard is one of his requirements. The Rekon is a big step down in cornering.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 1 Week Ago at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies!

The XR 2 and Rocket Ron look to be good for the rear. Maybe I can move the Nobby Nic up front and run either the XR2 or RoRo out back. A Trek store recently opened up near by.

I can probably get away with the Rekon up front...but something with more knobs will give me an extra margin of error.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

The XR 2 and Rocket Ron look to be good for the rear. Maybe I can move the Nobby Nic up front and run either the XR2 or RoRo out back. A Trek store recently opened up near by.

I can probably get away with the Rekon up front...but something with more knobs will give me an extra margin of error.
    I was just on the Ibis site and they have the BB height as 13.2" with 2.5" Minions, which run a bit smaller, I think. That gives you some wiggle room. Even though I bad-mouthed the 2.6 Rekon, it would make a serviceable rear tire. It is durable, for sure.

Others like it up front, so there's that and maybe i34 rims will change the nature compared to my experience. The 29" Rocket Ron is only available in 2.25" and I tried it....it self destructed in about 20 miles.

I think your plan is good, at least try the 2.6" NoNi up front and put something lighter on the back. BB height will be fine and you'll drop some weight regardless.

Whatever you get for the back, you could also try up front. If it turned out that you liked it, you could just get another.

mtbr member

Currently running 2.6 xr2 front and rear. Fast and light, but less cornering grip than some others Iíve tried

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post

Currently running 2.6 xr2 front and rear. Fast and light, but less cornering grip than some others Iíve tried

Oh, great!
    Another tire I'll have to try.

Are you getting a true 2.6"?

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    [/IMG]
    Currently running 2.6 xr2 front and rear. Fast and light, but less cornering grip than some others Iíve tried.
    Interesting. Looks like an Ikon and comes in similar sizes. Hmmm ...

Oh, great!
    Another tire I'll have to try.

Are you getting a true 2.6"?
    Yeah, seriously.

mtbr member
    Casing width on 35mm rim. The outside knobs are staggered, so I canít easily measure those.

mtbr member

"Light-er" 29x2.6 tires?

Thanks for the pics and weight of the tires. Those XR2ís look legit. Trek has them in sale now too. Too bad I canít just go to my Trek shop to get them. Theyíre so swamped that they wonít even answer the phone.

I check around on the 2.6 RoRo...and the price is a no no @ $90 a tire. Iím just going to order the Bontys from the Trek site.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics and weight of the tires. Those XR2ís look legit. Trek has them in sale now too. Too bad I canít just go to my Trek shop to get them. Theyíre so swamped that they wonít even answer the phone.

I check around on the 2.6 RoRo...and the price is a no no @ $90 a tire. Iím just going to order the Bontys from the Trek site.

People keep mentioning 29x2.6 Rocket Rons. Where are you seeing those? I'll buy them!
    I'd even buy the 29x2.35 if there are any.
    I only see 29x2.25 as the largest size in a 29.

mtbr member
    My mistake thinking there is a 29x2.6. It only 2.6 is in 27.5. The RoRo does not come in a 2.35...only 2.25. I have two of the older Rons in 29x2.25...and they weighed in at around 550gr.

I ended up ordering two XR2's. They came in at about 760gr. The Hans weighed 1020gr and the Nic came in at 960gr.

mtbr member
    My mistake thinking there is a 29x2.6. It only 2.6 is in 27.5. The RoRo does not come in a 2.35...only 2.25. I have two of the older Rons in 29x2.25...and they weighed in at around 550gr.

I ended up ordering two XR2's. They came in at about 760gr. The Hans weighed 1020gr and the Nic came in at 960gr.
    I'll be really interested in your experience on the 2.6 XR2. It looks like a possible RoRo alternative.

mtbr member
    I'll be really interested in your experience on the 2.6 XR2. It looks like a possible RoRo alternative.
    I have a few rides on the xr2. Fast and light with reasonable traction. Strava has shown itís a fast setup for me.

My main complaint is with the front tire. It has a very round profile and lacks a really defined outer row of knobs. The tire is predictable, but Iíve been struggling to get it to bite and hold a line in fast corners.

The 2.6 Rangers handled better for me, but they were heavier. Great tires but just wish they were lighter

The 2.6 Ikon has the grip of a trail tire, but itís heavy and slow for a race tire.

Iím considering leaving the xr2 on the rear and trying the ikon again on the front. I donít know if I have the pressure for the xr2 dialed in just yet though, so I plan to spend more time on them before changing anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    XR2 rear and XR4 front in 2.6 is a great combo.

Wish the XR3 came in 2.6.......
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am XC rider and I have used tubeless 2.4" conti x-king racesport, 2,35" racing ray, 2.6" maxxis rekon and 2.6" bontrager xr2
    XR2 have worst traction of them all - my opinion that it's down to cheap compound - no traction on wet roots or bridges or in light mud. It is somewhat ok on sand. Most expensive xr2 felt like cheap 10 euro tire from others - never using again.

x-king/crossking has softest compund and very good traction on wet roots but not very predictable in corners, but if you want 2.6" then I suggest Maxxis Rekon front and rear - very good traction (at least for me) and same rolling resistance as others.

Just take the best version of rekon: 780gr 120tpi 3C MAXX TERRA 3C/EXO/TR

But If you ride in dry and want speed - then I suggest 2,35" snakeskin Racing Ray/Racing Ralph combo - very predictable in corners.

I just visited endoro center with my XC bikes(both are 120mm orbea oiz) - my wife had 2.6" rekons on 25mm rim and I had 2,35" schwalbes on 30mm rims and I felt every bit as good on downhill and faster on uphill. They weigh 705gr and I would classify them light trail/enduro tires - they are too much for normal XC.

I have used 2.2 and 2,35" Ikons - dont like them - not very good rolling/traction ratio.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have enough long-term time on the 2.6 xr2 and Mezcal, I may or may not have a somewhat worthy opinion.

Xr2: a bit lighter

Mezcal: faster and better corning traction, longer tread life.

PSI varying between 16-23psi, (i30) Utah dirt n rock (rear)

The most noticeable speed difference is steep climbing on hard or rocky underlayment.
    Cannot tell that much of a difference in less steep rolling around terrain besides the cornering traction hooks up a bit better on Mezcal. If you ride some steep paved roads to get to trails, hand down the Mezcal.

Visually, if familiar with the skinner Mezcal, the 2í6 has much more substantial meat for a wiener tire. They both look somewhat dumb but work well.

Personally, I think the 2.6 Mezcal is a bit oversized, if it were more of a 2.5 with slightly larger side knobs, Iíd probably buy it again.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd