Which Light Bicycle rim?

Printable View

• 03-01-2015
    Alias530
    Which Light Bicycle rim?
    I'm a clyde (6'6" 240lbs) and ride trail/all mountain. I don't usually get much air, maybe a foot or two. I ride Minion DHF Exo front (29x2.5) and Minion DHR2 Exo (29x2.3) or Ardent Exo (29x2.25).

I was planning on DT Comp spokes, brass nipples, and just ordered Chris King hubs. DT Rev spokes sound like a pain to deal with windup and probably too light duty for my weight and nobody seems to agree on whether CX Rays are any stiffer so at the price point I don't think I'm willing to gamble. DT Comps with LB rims worked well on my cross bike build.

Anyway, the last piece to decide on is the rim. I'm looking at the AM version (24mm internal) @ 390g, the narrower DH version (30mm internal) @ 420g, or the wider DH version (31.6mm internal) @ 450g.

Current rims are Roval Traverse (24mm internal). No complaints besides stiffness and weight.
  • 03-01-2015
    fefillo
    Which Light Bicycle rim?
    If you are seriously considering ALL THREE of these, there must be some factors from either end that appeal to you. In that case, pick the middle option and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-01-2015
    Alias530
    Realistically, probably just the 390g AM model and 420g DH model.

Just trying to figure out whether the 420g model's width is worth the ~8% weight penalty.

My cross bike build got me a 5mm wider internal width AND lost me ~150g per wheel. The difference was astounding. Traction AND acceleration.

The stock cross bike wheels were seriously garbage though. The alu Roval's I have are not high end by any means but I have less to gain this time around.
  • 03-01-2015
    fefillo
    Which Light Bicycle rim?
    Are you planning on running smaller tires with these rims? You have a LOT of rubber weight right now. If I were you, I would go with the wider rims and drop a few notches on the tire widths.

Some one had a post with how to calculate equivalent volume gained when running wider rims. You can use that to calculate current air volume with your tires, and then find out how much smaller a tire you could run on either of the new rims and then check total weight with that tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-01-2015
    Alias530
    The 2.5 DHF is only like 50g heavier than the 2.3 DHF so at that point it's about a wash.

I'd rather order the right rim from the start so I don't have to add another $100+ in new tires right off the bat. Pretty set on the tires I'm using, just want to know what's the best rim for those tires.

29x2.5 DHF front / 29x2.3 DHR2 (fall/winter/spring) or 29x2.25 Ardent (summer)
  • 03-01-2015
    DHF 2.5 will be better on the 30mm or greater internal width.
    Skip the 24mm internal width for the 2.5DHFs.
    The newest LB 31+ internal rim is supposedly their strongest rim and has better impact resistance than the 35/30.
    However the "old" 35/30 hookless DH rims are plenty strong.
  • 03-01-2015
    Alias530
    Ya I'd be ordering whatever is currently on the website... just hard to stomach the weight gain going from the 24 to the 31+ model. Seems like overkill for trail riding, but going in the middle is probably fine.
  • 03-01-2015
    eb1888
  • 03-02-2015
    Alias530
    I've never heard of them... lower price and the same weight as the narrower LB rim, nice.

I still think I want to stick with LB as I know of more people using them. Peace of mind and all that...