Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommers View Post
    Did they actually say if they are better for carbon? I have never used them in the wheels I've built/rebuilt, and would like to know the benifits they offer vs no washers. Thanks!
    Generally speaking with rims w/o eyelets you want to use washers to control the spread of force from nipple to spoke hole. And for carbon, some might not realize that carbon is a very good conductor so it is best to avoid alu contacting the carbon directly. However carbon is only conductive on areas where bare carbon is exposed. Using washers adds another layer on top of the resin/top coat to prevent galvanic corrosion by inserting a ss layer between the alu and carbon.

Aero 07 - Design for Corrosion

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Generally speaking with rims w/o eyelets you want to use washers to control the spread of force from nipple to spoke hole. And for carbon, some might not realize that carbon is a very good conductor so it is best to avoid alu contacting the carbon directly. However carbon is only conductive on areas where bare carbon is exposed. Using washers adds another layer on top of the resin/top coat to prevent galvanic corrosion by inserting a ss layer between the alu and carbon.
    Been using carbon rims for a while now and never had problems with eyelets cracking. I was sent some "flyweight" type rims from another company for testing, so I'm keeping my eyes on those, but I have 4 other sets of carbon wheels and I've relaced some of them as many as 4 times, 3 times for 2 of the sets. Been riding these for years and lots of DH, enduro, racing of all disciplines on various bikes, etc.

The corrosion issue is definitely real, but it depends on several things. Are the spoke-holes treated with clear-coat? Are the nipples anodized (yes, most any decent one is) and is a compound used to prevent the corrosion? I've gone from having some pretty serious corrosion issues with the first few (carbon) builds to nothing for a few years. I still think that it's probably happening, but at a much slower rate. As soon as I start breaking nipples for this reason, I'll go back and re-nipple the whole wheel. IMO, you are going to at least get a good couple seasons if you are taking reasonable precautions, not letting the bike stay wet, keeping salts away, etc. I liberally apply anti-corrosion compound to the nipple flange and the spoke-threads, to try and discourage the corrosion as much as possible.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone tried BTLOS.com carbon rims? I like the WM-i29 rim profile with a nice thick bead. Great prices!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Has anyone tried BTLOS.com carbon rims? I like the WM-i29 rim profile with a nice thick bead. Great prices!!
    I have the i25 AM rims on dt 240s hubs that they built up. love love love them! 1440g and incredible quality. they use the highest quality molds and do a ton of testing and qc. talk to them on the chat on the website, Amy or Lily were very helpful..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just pulled the trigger on the AM928 rims for my Pivot Switchblade. Asymmetric with 28mm inside width. Going to put them on Project 321 hubs. Pretty stoked. I will post a review once I get some time on them.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greginaz View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the AM928 rims for my Pivot Switchblade. Asymmetric with 28mm inside width. Going to put them on Project 321 hubs. Pretty stoked. I will post a review once I get some time on them.
    Suspiciously similar to the Reynolds wheels that Pivot specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, I finally managed to test the RM650BC13 wheelset...pretty damn good, I have to say.
    I could only ride two 20 mile loops over the weekend on flowy singletrail, no rock gardens to speak of, no big drops, so I can't speak about resistance to rock strikes or harsh landings, but nevertheless I was impressed on how good the wheels felt.

They're mounted on a Dartmoor hardtail with 140mm up front, which I tend to ride quite mercilessly and they didn't put a foot wrong.

First impression: they feel stiff, with no noticeable flex and tyres won't burp even at 20 psi (that was actually an oversight, not done on purpose, but it was useful to determine how low I can go with tyre pressure).

On the second loop, with a more logical pressure, they felt even more rigid, in fact, I could even say that harsher than alu rims. I would have had to let some air out, but was actually having too much fun to start fiddling with the tyres. The steering is quite direct and there is no lateral flex I can detect. In fact, they're so stiff that the fork was beginning to feel a bit flexy and unable to cope with the small trail chatter. I will have to use less pressure and open the rebound a bit to make it feel more confortable.

On durability: they are haven't picked any scratches, and there's no lateral or vertical deviation worth mentioning. I only had to retension one spoke on the rear wheel, but will check all of them before the next ride, to be on the safe side.

All in all, I'm pretty happy on how this first set has turned out. If they don't fail catastrophically in the next month or so, I will probably convert another set of 26inch wheels. Does anyone know if they do some kind of discount for returning customers? I've tried to find some coupon, couldn't find a thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good rims! I built up AM928ís on DT240ís and just hammer the crap out of them. I smash them over and through rocks on my hardtail and I weigh 250-260. I have put some ďnormalĒ scratches on the exterior but Iím happy with the rims. Run 2.4 tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got my new rims and tires assembled. Light Bicycle AM928 rims, project 321 hubs, 32 Laser double butted spokes per wheel, set up 15x110 F and 12x157 super boost R for my Pivot Switchblade. Super happy with the quality. The rims look perfect out of the box. I had Daveís Wheels get me the hubs and lace them up for me. With valves and tape, they weigh 1670 grams together (no rotors). Tires mounted perfectly, didnít even need levers and the beads popped into place nicely.

The Project 321 hubs are really nice. I went with the quite driver, and you can barely hear the pawls just spinning it with your hand. I do wish they were centerlock rotor mounts instead of 6 bolts, but oh well.

I canít wait to ride them and see the difference vs my 27.5+ set up. Will post back later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-6298316f-e8e9-476b-8043-d78441750ee9.jpg  

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-fc2b7cf1-55c9-4476-9ef1-9aa9ada714f2.jpg  

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-a733589f-3043-40a0-9a08-32f46c3a49c3.jpg  

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-425c80eb-3e00-46bc-985a-3329d8ba09a5.jpg  

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-a516f732-53ca-4911-8475-ed2817984b10.jpg  

Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-d5bc06f1-1f4e-4b12-94a5-6f5b0a058330.jpg  

Barely in control
    Yes, I opine with you that 6 bolt is a dumb design. But otherwise those wheels look super sweet! LB's logo is the only budget company's logo I can stand on a rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Trying to decide between these two builds. I have the asymetric wheels on my 5010 and they almost feel to stiff. The regular rims with 30mm ID are 180.00 cheaper. Going to put them on a 2019 Smuggler.

AM928
    Front Axle:15 / 110mm BOOST
    Rear Axle:12 / 148mm BOOST
    Freehub Body:Sram XD
    Brake System:6-bolt
    Front Holes:32H
    Rear Holes:32H
    Spoke Head:J-bend
    Hub Color:Black
    Hub BrandT SWISS
    Hub Model:350
    Ratchet:54T
    SpokeT Swiss Competition Race
    Nipple:Aluminium Black
    Version:AM928
    Finish:matte
    Weave:UD
    Decal:stealth
    Valve Stem:Add Valve Stem
    Tubeless Tape:Add Tubeless Tape
    Pair

WM29C07
    Front Axle:15 / 110mm BOOST
    Rear Axle:12 / 148mm BOOST
    Freehub Body:Sram XD
    Brake System:6-bolt
    Front Holes:32H
    Rear Holes:32H
    Spoke Head:J-bend
    Hub Color:Black
    Hub BrandT SWISS
    Hub Model:350
    Ratchet:54T
    SpokeT Swiss Competition Race
    Nipple:Aluminium Black
    Version:All Mountain
    Finish:matte
    Weave:UD
    Decal:stealth
    Valve Stem:Add Valve Stem
    Tubeless Tape:Add Tubeless Tape
    Pair

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got a few rides in on the new wheels. See 2 posts up for details. I lost 1.5 lbs in wheel and tire weight! But to be honest, I didnít really notice much of a difference. My old set up was DT Swiss 350 hubs, their Alum XM551 rims in 40mm internal width, and I was running High Roller II 27.5x2.8 plus tires. My average mph and overall times didnít really change, but my max speed went up by a mph or so. I didnít re-gear, so doing the steep climbs took more energy. According to gear calculator, I should go down 2 teeth to a 30 chain ring to keep same ratios.

It did feel like a slight bit less effort on flats, but I probably wouldnít have noticed if I wasnít really paying attention. The lateral flex on the rear seems like it is a little more in the fast tight corners vs my 27.5+ set up, which I guess is to be expected going bigger diameter and narrower rim. But itís hardly noticeable.

On a few of the really techy rock climbs, I didnít clear them like I normally do, but I think it will just take a little getting used to, as the bike is about a half inch taller now. I will run this set up for the next month or so, then try the 27.5+ set up again and see what happens before deciding on which set up to sell.

I have zero complaints with the rims. They arenít harsh feeling, they look great, and track really well. Iím running 17 and 19 psi and didnít have any rim strikes yet, so I might be able to go down another half or one lb on the pressure. Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-761217fd-7367-4b40-a8e5-ed8074ba89a1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015

Lacing Rims With Angled Nipple Holes

Hi I just bought a pair of your rims (RM26C05) and I'm about to lace them up. I'm wondering about the arrow stickers. Is this sticker saying the arrow should be pointed toward the disc side if it's used for the front, and the arrow should be pointed toward the drive side if it's used on the rear?
    Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-frontdiskreardrivearrow.jpg
    And... what does this arrow on the rim bed mean?
    Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-arrowonrimbed.jpg
    Also, I previously bought a pair of your rims (RM26C03) about 3 years ago. I do not recall any stickers with arrows on them. Does it matter which side of the rim should face front disc/rear drive with those? Not sure if they holes were drilled at an angle or not.

By the way, my RM26C03 rims have been ridden on rocks, roots, cross country, down hill parks, and everywhere else. They've taken a lot of hard riding and they are holding up very well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Got my lightbicycle.com RM29C19's yesterday. Delivery was less than 1 week ARO. I finished putting the tubeless maxxis ikon on the front but ran out of time on the back. I'm pretty excited to try them out, but my new bike isn't finished yet and my existing hardtail has that dang RS-1 shock. Front was 738g, rear was 860g with industry9 hubs, alloy XD driver, presta stem and rim tape.Light Bicycle Carbon Rims-img_20180920_183259325.jpgLight Bicycle Carbon Rims-img_20180920_182802429.jpg
    Last edited by Anger; 10-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got a few rides in on the new wheels. See 2 posts up for details. I lost 1.5 lbs in wheel and tire weight! But to be honest, I didnít really notice much of a difference. My old set up was DT Swiss 350 hubs, their Alum XM551 rims in 40mm internal width, and I was running High Roller II 27.5x2.8 plus tires. My average mph and overall times didnít really change, but my max speed went up by a mph or so. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	761217FD-7367-4B40-A8E5-ED8074BA89A1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	1216092
    Just to update, I discovered my brakes were dragging on my first few rides, which definitely slowed me down, and didnít feel like a gained anything. But after fixing them, it was a pretty big change. They definitely get up to speed quicker and roll faster which is more like what I was expecting. I am getting used to the 29Ē size now and have been beating my old times, so Iím pretty happy with them. I did drop my bars down about 15mm to get some more weight on the front because it was a little drifty. But I am rumming the tall headset cup and 160mm Fork for more travel and ground clearance over SoMo trails.

mtbr member
    Looking for feedback on riding the XC925 standard version frt/rear at 360g each wheel. Do you think Iím pushing the limits at my 195 pound riding weight for 360g, 32h wheels?
    Iím riding a 120/100 travel bike used for wide open XC trails in SoCal with single track and small sections of chunk mixed in about 10% of the time at most. Will these wheels take a beating with the typical breaking bumps, and on the high speed bumpy fire roads? Just looking for real world experience with someone who uses these wheels.

Iím currently running 430g wheels that came off my old build, which are bomb proof, but I wouldnít mind losing around 200g for the long grinding climbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anybody using the new Recon Pro rims from LB? Iím building a set of AM930ís but curious if anyone has any ride time in on them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I order my new Ąeco tecď Recon pro serie AM735 LB dt240 54ratchet Wheels last week..

https://www.lightbicycle.com/AM735-a...-rims-mtb.html
    Last edited by 8664; 1 Week Ago at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am having a great wheel builder at a LBS build me a set of 29C14 (rear hd) on i9 hubs. At just over 200lbs gear up I feel these should hold up well. In fact they may be a little on the stiff side. If you have access to an experienced wheel builder, I highly recommend it. Sure I could have saved $100 + tax or more going direct from China, but my wheels will receive free tuning for life and worst case if I wreck one is the crash replacement cost of the rim as the shop will rebuild for little or no cost and the shop will handle the communication with the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was wondering what a good 27.5+ Carbon wheelset should weigh? General purpose not too crazy rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mine 1700gr

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678