Light Bicycle, Carbon Bicycle or Nextie- Mtbr.com
    Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Light Bicycle, Carbon Bicycle or Nextie

Any opinions if any of these options is better or worse than the others and why?

I blew up a rear Easton Carbon hoop. Now I can build a set using a hub (Stealth) I have always been interested in, but never had a justified reason for trying.
    Familiarizing myself with all of the rim choices was a learning curve!
    So many options, but it looks like this option from Nextie is what I am leaning towards.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 2103
Size:  19.8 KB

Looking for people that have had previous experience with their products.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a season on those Nextie's. Absolutely love them. But the "downside" is that going from Crest's to these was such a big improvement, it has me wondering if their 40mm wide version would be even better. What are they going on?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Anthem x 29er w/ 120mm fork. 1x10 wide range cassette. 2.3 Hans Dampfs.

...my trail bike.

mtbr member
    I'm running LB 35mm with a 2.45 Hans Dampf in front and 2.25 Rock Razor in the back on my trail bike. Absolutely the best upgrade I did. Incredibly stiff and very light. Whole wheel set built up was $950. Worth every penny!

The wide tire on wide rim in the front almost looks like a fat bike. I get lots of people asking/commenting on it when they see it.
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You aren't going to definitively prove either one is 'better' than the other. Both are very good and I dare say even the best riders are unlikely to tell a difference. Get the ones YOU prefer, whether that is for weight, cost, looks, or whatever. Then don't look back - enjoy them and fret over some other decisions where one can actually tell a difference.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I built up a CB 35/30mm rear and will do the front. Excellent product and price.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I have a season on those Nextie's. Absolutely love them. But the "downside" is that going from Crest's to these was such a big improvement, it has me wondering if their 40mm wide version would be even better. What are they going on?
    the 31.6/38 rim profile from Light Bicycle listed a few pages back looked like a winner as well.
    I wonder what the sidewall height is on these..
    Attachment 949598

I've emailed LB a couple questions, these will be my first wheel builds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does anyone know which of these, or ICAN etc., is a real manufacturer ?

mtbr member
    None of them. Supposedly the manufacturer only sells wholesale. The companies we buy from are local to the manufacturers and set up a dealer site. Some even have taken the time to help design there own profiles and rim sizes. According to their FB page and website, Nextie has put a lot of time in to the fatbike rims and + size rims. But take that for what it is worth, I have never been to China to see first hand how this process actually works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I thought Light-Bicycle was different in that they both manufacture and sell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Almost identical web pages---

Basic Information

Company Name:
    Xiamen CB Carbon Fiber Parts Industry Co., Ltd.
    Business Type:
    Manufacturer
    Product/Service (We Sell):
    Carbon fiber parts,carbon fiber bicycle frame,carbon bicycle fork,carbon bicycle rim,carbon bicycle wheelset,carbon fiber bicycle parts
    Contract Manufacturing:
    OEM Service Offered Design Service Offered Buyer Label Offered
    Registered Address:
    29, Xinyuan Road, Jimei District, Xiamen, Fujian, China (Mainland) Zip: 361022
    Number of Employees:
    60 – 80 People
    Year Established:
    Legal Representative/Business Owner:
    Mr. Teinuan JONERG
    Main Markets:
    North America,South America,Eastern Europe,Southeast Asia,Africa,Oceania,Mid East,Western Europe,Central America,Northern Europe,Southern Europe
    Total Annual Sales Volume:
    US$10 Million – US$20 Million
    Export Percentage:
    91% – 95%

Basic Information

Company Name:
    Xiamen Light-Bicycle Carbon Fiber Parts Industry Co., Ltd.
    Business Type:
    Manufacturer
    Product/Service (We Sell):
    Carbon fiber parts,carbon fiber bicycle frame,carbon bicycle fork,carbon bicycle rim,carbon bicycle wheelset,carbon fiber bicycle parts
    Contract Manufacturing:
    OEM Service Offered Design Service Offered Buyer Label Offered
    Registered Address:
    1/F, (Factory Building 2 Extension), No. 308, Xingqian Road, Jimei District, Xiamen, Fujian, China (Mainland) Zip: 361022
    Number of Employees:
    60 – 80 People
    Year Established:
    Legal Representative/Business Owner:
    Mr. GuoLiang Zhang
    Main Markets:
    North America,South America,Eastern Europe,Southeast Asia,Africa,Oceania,Mid East,Western Europe,Central America,Northern Europe,Southern Europe
    Total Annual Sales Volume:
    US$10 Million – US$20 Million
    Export Percentage:
    91% – 95%

mtbr member
    The fat bike crew like the Nextie rims - Even Mike Curiak last time I checked. I've been following the original 'carbon rim thread' in the 29er forum for ~ 2 years - and can't recall anything bad about Nextie

I've Light Bicycle 23mm ID rims - and I'm very happy with them. Carbon Bicycle seem to be the same but at a cheaper price...not sure what's up with that??

Based on rim weight and maximum rider weight, Nextie seem be a step up in 'beefiness' in each rim width compared to Light Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Almost identical web pages---
    Yup - saw it too, that's why I was wondering how is the real manufacturer...

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Recent Chinese carbon rim summary

Here is a summary of what I have found through websites and email correspondences with Light-Bicycle and Nextie…

Nextie Bike offers a 2 year warranty and has
    NXT29H04: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 23mm rim depth, Weight: 360+/-10g
    NXT29H06: 30mm outer/25mm inner, 25 rim depth, Weight: 380g
    NXT29H07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 28mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version and 450g AM version
    NXT29H03: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version, 440g AM version and 520g DH version
    NXT29H05: 40mm outer/35mm inner, 30 rim depth, Weight: 420g light version and 460g AM version
    All have beadlock ridges in the rim bed other than NXT29H03
    All Nextie rims Max Spoke Tension: 150kgf
    NXT29H07 is not yet listed on their webpage, they emailed me the profile and specs.

Light-Bicycle offers a 1 year warranty and has
    RM29C06: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 24mm rim depth, Weight: 365g
    RM29C02: 30mm outer/24mm inner, 20mm rim depth, Weight: 390g
    RM29C07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 420g
    RM29C14: 38mm outer/31.6mm inner, Depth 32mm, Weight: 450g light version and 500g DH version
    Only RM29C14 has beadlock ridges in the rim bed. It also has thicker sidewalls, 3.2mm vs 2.5mm
    All Light-Bicycle rims Max Spoke Tension: 180kgf

According to Light-Bicycle bead lock ridges are not necessary, they have only added them as a result of customer concerns about the tire being secure to the rim. Also according to Light-Bicycle they use an exclusive process to manufacture their rims. They claim it produces more uniform wall thickness and overall uniformity on the inside cavity of the rim.
    I have inquired to Nextie if they use the same facility and process.

Also I think I recall somewhere on Light-Bicycles web page that they will add additional layers/increase weight to any rim if you ask them to.

I haven’t emailed Carbon-Bicycle, so I don’t know anything other than what their website offers about them. They seem to offer most of the same rims as Light-Bicycle other than the RM29C14 and their webpage is of very similar design as well. They are about $15 cheaper per rim across the product range. The do list some additional data regarding testing rim strength.

That’s the bottom line from about a week worth of emails and internet research. I must say that both Nextie and Light-bicycle answer all emails promptly and with seemingly quality answers to my technical inquiries.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    nextie and iplay is made by Carbonking.cn