least "noisy" rear hub?? vote-- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

least "noisy" rear hub?? vote-

just curious to get some opinions here. what do you guys believe to be the most silent hub.

ive come across a deore freehub body by accident that is more or less inaudible. not the nicest, i know, but i HATE the ratchet sound. i know a lot of people dont understand this and can argue, but thats not what im trying to start here.

i remember someone saying something about the 240s being pretty quiet . any feedback??

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryguy137
    just curious to get some opinions here. what do you guys believe to be the most silent hub.

ive come across a deore freehub body by accident that is more or less inaudible. not the nicest, i know, but i HATE the ratchet sound. i know a lot of people dont understand this and can argue, but thats not what im trying to start here.

i remember someone saying something about the 240s being pretty quiet . any feedback??
    Shimanos, especially the XTR. DT Swiss hubs are OK
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Feb 2006
    a well broken in Industry 9 is nice.. but not sure if it's as quiet as some of the others. New, they're like a swarm of bees.

Reviewer/Tester
    Shimano...no noise.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Old man on a bike
    While I've got a near silent King, it's not the norm and I've got two fairly loud ones. My Shimanos are fairly quiet, my 240s is fairly quiet.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My AC hub is quite a bit quieter than the Shimano it replaced...

≈ > ♥
    Prettymuch any hub can be made to be either noisy or quiet, depending on how oten it's maintained, and the ammount/type of lube used.

Find a hub you like, and pack it full of grease to make it quiet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Shimano Silent clutch LX

I have a very old wheel, not even sure how old it is now but probably going on ten years that has been a tank for me. 36 hole silent clutch laced to a sun mammoth rim with straight gauge DT spokes. I have re packed the thing countless times. It just keeps going and going. I learned to dirt jump on it and then replaced it with a slightly nicer lighter wheel which I promptly broke and now I am back to riding it on my dirt jumper again. The only real down side is the kind of slow engagement. That and when I really wrench on the thing like trying to do trials and going from back wards to forwards it some times slips a tiny bit as it engages. It never really slips more than 1/8th of a rotation before really biting tho, totally unnoticeable in regular trail riding. I am not sure if any one is still making a roller clutch style free hub any more.

Did I mention this thing is really silent?!

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got a SS (not a fixie) that the road noise is louder than the freehub... but I think you're after something for a cassette

In that case, not the Hope Pro II's or Kings....I know Shimano has a police hub that is whisper quiet (for using a bike for sneaking up on the bad guys)...our local officers use them and they are seriously quiet. Make my Pro II's sound like a Harley w/ slash pipes in comparison.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    My American Classic made WTB Laserlite Disc hub is nearly silent. I have to stick my ear down by the hub to hear it when I give the rear wheel a spin when it's on the stand. I don't hear it at all on the trail.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

RambleSS
    +1 for Shimano XTR. I have a couple older ones and they are dead silent. My dad has a King and it drives me crazy!

mtbr member
    I have a set of brand new Crossmax SLR's and so far they are very, very quiet. Like I said, so far. My dad has XTR's on his Ellsworth however and they are 3 years old and completely silent.
    - Just livin' the dream -

Members who have read this thread: 0