LBS - wheel repair- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

LBS - wheel repair

I brought my front wheel (27.5, FSA Afterburner Plus, tubeless, 28H, 2-cross) to my LBS to have the rim trued - I wasn't paying attention and ran into my buddy, bending a spoke (drive-side) in the process.

He replaced the spoke but used a straight gauge 2.0mm vs using double butted 2.0/1.8/2.0 as originally built. I asked him to get me the correct one, where he replied he didn't have any and the performance is the same anyways. I'm a lightweight, so ok. Black nipple was replaced with silver too

He said the nipple/spoke were seized (I have ~1600km on this wheel), so he had to replace the tubeless valve and tape in the process, throwing away the matching rim adapter (matched the vale to the asymmetric rim). When I asked why, he replied in his experience it's best to replace everything as a system to avoid leaks and "not out of commercial interest". I wish he would've at least kept the old parts for me...

When I picked up the wheel it was flat, so he pumped it up hard again and said it takes a while for the system to be air-tight again. In the last 1600km before the repair, it never went as flat, even after I put in a plug to stop a glass-cut-leak. After a week it's still holding air.

What do you guys think? Would you be satisfied with this repair?

In the end I paid over 80 swiss france ($81US) for a repair that I could've done myself with matching parts, but I didn't have the time plus wanted to support my LBS. I'm not a mechanic but have built ~8 wheels, 2 frames & do the majority of maintenance for all of the bikes in my family.

eri
    mtbr member
    If you want something done right... Ya gotta do it yourself.

I know some conscientious bike mechanics that would do the job perfectly but with ordering parts theyd take 3 weeks to get it done.

Personally i'd want everything you do (old valve, black nipple, correct spoke) but id find the time to redo on my own. Its an hour some evening...
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    The spoke gauge is annoying but not the end of the world if it got you back out riding quickly.

Everything else you've described, especially not returning your old parts (or giving you the option of having them) is not so cool.

With regard to the cost: Not knowing what your average labour rates and costs are in Switzerland makes it difficult to say if it's expensive or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post

In the end I paid over 80 swiss france ($81US) for a repair...
    All else aside (parts he used, etc.), my quick answer is no, I would not be satisfied at that price. I recently had wheels re-laced with new spokes. $40 a wheel... But then, different country, market, economy, etc.

At the very least, I would expect communication saying he wan't using like parts before he did the work so you could decide.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you replace the rim-tape, it's always a good idea to put a tube in it at least overnight to press the tape into place. This cuts down on it going flat before sealant is added and minimizes holes that sealant will work it's way into, possibly damaging aluminum nipples and leading to corrosion. If this is done correctly, it won't leak out very fast. It might leak out a bit overnight because the tire bead needs to re-seal a bit with some fresh sealant, but otherwise, the tape should be solid if done correctly.

It sounds like this shop doesn't really know what it's doing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

turtles make me hot
    The mechanic is a hack.
    I like turtles

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post
    I brought my front wheel (27.5, FSA Afterburner Plus, tubeless, 28H, 2-cross) to my LBS to have the rim trued - I wasn't paying attention and ran into my buddy, bending a spoke (drive-side) in the process.

He replaced the spoke but used a straight gauge 2.0mm vs using double butted 2.0/1.8/2.0 as originally built. I asked him to get me the correct one, where he replied he didn't have any and the performance is the same anyways. I'm a lightweight, so ok. Black nipple was replaced with silver too

He said the nipple/spoke were seized (I have ~1600km on this wheel), so he had to replace the tubeless valve and tape in the process, throwing away the matching rim adapter (matched the vale to the asymmetric rim). When I asked why, he replied in his experience it's best to replace everything as a system to avoid leaks and "not out of commercial interest". I wish he would've at least kept the old parts for me...

When I picked up the wheel it was flat, so he pumped it up hard again and said it takes a while for the system to be air-tight again. In the last 1600km before the repair, it never went as flat, even after I put in a plug to stop a glass-cut-leak. After a week it's still holding air.

In the end I paid over 80 swiss france ($81US) for a repair that I could've done myself with matching parts, but I didn't have the time plus wanted to support my LBS. I'm not a mechanic but have built ~8 wheels, 2 frames & do the majority of maintenance for all of the bikes in my family.
    Where in CH are you? , this sounds like what my LBS does, thats why l stopped going to them, lm in Canton St Gallen.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, thanks for the replies - looks like we’re all aligned. I went for a ride yesterday (I’m in Canton Bern) and forgot all about it - it bugged me for a while and I did order some spokes.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we were in Ireland and my buddy‘s wheel completely blew apart (alu nipples disintegrated). Dave at Total Cycling in Derry rebuilt the wheel (only replacing the nipples), as we waited, told us stories about his wheel building career for the Irish olympic team, charged my buddy only 40 quid, on a Saturday! Amazing eh?!

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Oh l did forget to say l found the price reasonable for Switzerland
    always mad and usually drunk......

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    The mechanic is a hack.
    This.

mtbr member
    If it was mine, I'd toss in a 2 dollar butted spoke and patch the tape. Done.

I suppose if it was a customer's wheel, I'd retape it too. Can't guarantee the quality of someone else's work.

Selling a valve though? No valid excuse. Same with using a crappy straight gauge spoke. Those are pretty hacky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    If it was mine, I'd toss in a 2 dollar butted spoke and patch the tape. Done.
    Patch the tape? How? Never had much luck (so far) putting tape over tape...

Hitching a ride
    I'd pull the tape, replace the spoke, use the tension meter to map all the spokes, adjust for even tension and bring ds up to spec, clean rim with alcohol, retape, new sealant, clean old valve. And that's just a regular weekday night maint on my personal stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Some are, and like MEC/REI they arent "pro's" just entry level workers being trained by a senior employee. From a LBS you'd expect them to be "pro's" but maybe they aren't, maybe they are and just having a bad day, or they are getting through a hang-over day, or they are high on weed, or or or or or or or

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    The mechanic is a hack.