Large volume 26" UST 2.4" tire- Mtbr.com
    Master of None

Large volume 26" UST 2.4" tire

I'm looking for a large volume 26" true UST 2.3-2.4" tire. Trail conditions are wet, rocky, some mud. Rims are Bonty Dusters. So far here are the contenders:

Continental Trail King. Looks great, although something a little lighter would be nice.
    WTB Weirwolf2 UST. I'm not sure how it will perform in the wet.
    Schwalbe Muddy Mary UST. Also kinda heavy.

Any input on these or other tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Drop the TK to a 2.4 they come up huge and that would be a normal 2.4 size, not many forks take the 2.4 which reduces the weight. The 2.4 is awesome, rolls front only very fast aswell.

Don't think the UST's got the Black Chilli though, which would likely reduce the tire to average.

Rear X King 2.4 Protection is working great for that kinda terrain roles fast to.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Drop the TK to a 2.4 they come up huge and that would be a normal 2.4 size, not many forks take the 2.4 which reduces the weight. The 2.4 is awesome, rolls front only very fast aswell.

Don't think the UST's got the Black Chilli though, which would likely reduce the tire to average.

Rear X King 2.4 Protection is working great for that kinda terrain roles fast to.
    The TK/RQ UST are indeed Black Chili compound. Conty's website isn't fully updated, but I dun seen'm!

Schwalbe Big Betty GGC or MM GGC are going to be great.

FWIW, the Trail King isn't quite as big as the Big Betty or Fat Albert in casing, which I am guessing applies to the MM too.

I think MOST forks have the clearance for a 2.4. I have never had a problem with my PIKE or Lyrik.
    Now for the rear triangle, that is always a different story...some 7" bikes won't clear them well (ASR-7), while other 6" bikes do (Terremoto).

OP, what fork are you running?

Master of None
    Unfortunately the Big Betty and Muddy Mary do not have GGC with the tubeless bead.

I have a Manitou Nixon fork. Right now I actually have a Big Betty in front (GGC, not tubeless) and it's been pretty good. I've torn the side knobs a bit and I'd like something with more prominent center knobs for the wet weather.

The frame I'm going to get (456 Ti) spec's up to 2.5" tire. I have a Chameleon now and the Fat Albert 2.35 on there barely fits. The Fat Albert is ok too but it's more of an intermediate tire.

Ooh, I see there is a new Mountain King 2, 2.4 UST. No black chili though, but pretty light!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Unfortunately the Big Betty and Muddy Mary do not have GGC with the tubeless bead.
    Ah, bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Ooh, I see there is a new Mountain King 2, 2.4 UST. No black chili though, but pretty light!
    Yeah, light and UST are mutually exclusive, for the most part.

Right now I am running a BB Triple Compound F and a Trail King Rear (neither UST), and the combo is working great...but I won't have ridden in the rain in the months since I mounted up the TK rear because we had a few dry ones here in Austin. Now, I have the bike with me, and it is currently raining...but from everything I hear/have seen, the TK is a great rear wet tire (front too?). I have another TK to mount up front if my BB ever gives up the ghost - my BB fronts always last a whole year.

Master of None

Update

Laced up the front Duster rim, turned out nice, and mounted up the Trail King UST 2.4. It's a large tire! Weighed in at 1080 gm. The black chili compound is noticably 'stickier' than the regular compound that's on my other bike, the Rubber Queen UST 2.2.

I ran it at 28 PSI and it seemed to deflect off rocks a bit. I'm going to air it down a few PSI and see how that goes. The sidewall is reasonably stiff compared to my non-UST Big Betty so it makes sense to lower the pressure a bit. With the increased volume I could run lower pressure without rim damage, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The bigger the volume, the smaller the useable range is, my RQ 2.4's only need a few pumps from to squirmy to feeling rock solid, my 3" Arrow Savage is even more sensitive.

Members who have read this thread: 0