mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Lacing problem - Pic's attached.

Building a second boost 28H front wheel. I laced the wheel following 2 You Tube vid's that I used on my first build last season. I compared the non-drive side (disc) lacings and they are different . I rewatched the video's and I believe I followed them to the "T". I then compared to another 2 wheels and one matched the old lacing but another w/ straight pull matched the new build - so confused. Here are some pic's that I hope will make sense.

Black hub is new build.

Edit : According to the vid's the first drive side spokes are fed up through the bottom. The last non drive side spokes are fed up through the bottom. So the patterns (lacing) should differ like on the new build?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lacing problem - Pic's attached.-9d0jxungshenc9tqiondeq.jpg  

Lacing problem - Pic's attached.-f5zhggqgs5miosz8oopmaa.jpg  

DOOM
    Is this a 2x pattern?

If so you would go over the first spoke and under the next spoke and on to the hole in the rim where the spoke goes.

If a 3x pattern you go over two spokes and under the third spoke on to the next hole in the rim.

In looking at your photo it looks like you are missing the under part:

Name:  28h.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  16.4 KB

Target spoke is blue dots and the yellow dots are the crosses.

I think 2x is generally considered easier to lace for 28h rims (I could be full of crap but it seems like it would be easier than 3x for 28 holes).

turtles make me hot
    Did you start one hole off on the NDS? That's what it looks like to me.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    Is this a 2x pattern?

If so you would go over the first spoke and under the next spoke and on to the hole in the rim where the spoke goes.

If a 3x pattern you go over two spokes and under the third spoke on to the next hole in the rim.

In looking at your photo it looks like you are missing the under part:

Name:  28h.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  16.4 KB

Target spoke is blue dots and the yellow dots are the crosses.

I think 2x is generally considered easier to lace for 28h rims (I could be full of crap but it seems like it would be easier than 3x for 28 holes).
    This is a 3x build.

On the DS I went 1)under 2)under 3)over . On the non DS I went 1) over 2) over 3) under - video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJwEcm-NTw&t=256s .

My previous built wheelset is the same for DS \ Non-DS of under under over. The pictured wheel was built by Universal Cycles as the same DS / Non under under over.
    Funny thing is I used the same video for my last build and didn't have the same non DS pattern???

Barely in control
    For 28 hole you pick straight pull hubs so all you do is push in the spokes and everything lines up. Hope that helps.

Also you can use this little tool to help visualize: Spoke Pattern Designer - A flash application for designing bicycle wheels lacing patterns.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    For 28 hole you pick straight pull hubs so all you do is push in the spokes and everything lines up. Hope that helps.

Also you can use this little tool to help visualize: Spoke Pattern Designer - A flash application for designing bicycle wheels lacing patterns.
    When I built this front wheel I used a 28H straight pull wheel for spoke reference. The Non DS was over over under - Doesn't match 3 of my other j bend wheels.

Maybe it doesn't matter only for spoke insertion reasons?

mtbpete
    I see that the outside, disc side spokes are pointing a different direction in each of these two builds. It really doesn't matter (except for maybe a little on the rear wheel) which side of the hub flange the spokes come out of and which direction as long as they insert into the correct holes of the rim. For most if not all rims, if you look at the wheel shown in your pictures the first spoke hole to the right of the valve hole will either be drilled straight toward the center of the rim or toward the disc-side hub flange. So one your spokes that is angled to the left needs to be inserted into the spoke hole directly to the right of the valve hole.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The difference I see is that on the top wheel, the outside spoke is trailing, whereas on the bottom wheel, the outside spoke is leading. Some people either don't have an opinion, don't seem to care one way or another, or don't notice what they're doing. Since I don't know what Youtube guide you watched, here's a good explanation of spoke lacing patterns for disc wheels: https://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/in...c_wheel_Lacing

I follow the pattern that Shimano advocates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I see that the outside, disc side spokes are pointing a different direction in each of these two builds. It really doesn't matter (except for maybe a little on the rear wheel) which side of the hub flange the spokes come out of and which direction as long as they insert into the correct holes of the rim. For most if not all rims, if you look at the wheel shown in your pictures the first spoke hole to the right of the valve hole will either be drilled straight toward the center of the rim or toward the disc-side hub flange. So one your spokes that is angled to the left needs to be inserted into the spoke hole directly to the right of the valve hole.
    I watched a couple more video's and noticed the discrepancy is which direction, through the hub flange, the first spoke is placed - nipple head or shoulder up.

Pretty sure all my spokes are in the right holes. Spokes over or under just depend on which direction I insert the first spoke. Is there not a better direction for first spoke placement?