Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 54 of 54
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    412

    ... and if we just ... Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) And Hellkat pro

    Kenda will be releasing their new Nevagal 2 pro and Hellkat pro tires with 2.4/2.6 widths

    Nevegal2 Pro

    article : https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/05...in-bike-tires/


    2.4 weight comes in a 810g +\- 40 although the etrto is 60-584 (2.35")
    2.6 weight is TBD


    anyone else stoked about this tire?

    Hellkat Pro:

    https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...y/hellkat-pro/
    Last edited by maclgallant; 09-11-2018 at 06:07 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,310
    It looks interesting. Not sure how i feel about the transition knobs on 2/3rds of the tire. I'd be more interested if the price wasn't $80, already a lot of tires in that price range that I *know* work well.

    I'm still hoping for a Smoke/Dart/Velociraptor resurgence.

  3. #3
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm still hoping for a Smoke/Dart/Velociraptor resurgence.
    Youíre old. They were my tires back in the day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,046
    Neveglas used to impress me when that's all I'd ever ridden, then I started trying other brands and wasn't so impressed, actually was really un-impresed, so no, doesn't excite me, the soon to be Maxxis 29x2.6" Rekon and possibly DHF/DHR2, hell yeah, can't wait for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,832
    I'm a bit like LyNx - liked the nevegl BITD but I have been using DHF's and Chunky monkey tires for ages now. Every now and then I try other tires so if a Nevegal 2 becomes available for sale for under $50 I may try one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    I've been looking for the 2.6s often and can't find them. All the reviews have been good and apparently the rolling resistance is very low. If anyone finds the 2.6s let us know!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Neveglas used to impress me when that's all I'd ever ridden, then I started trying other brands and wasn't so impressed, actually was really un-impresed, so no, doesn't excite me, the soon to be Maxxis 29x2.6" Rekon and possibly DHF/DHR2, hell yeah, can't wait for them.
    Maxxis DHF/DHR2. That's what I have on my Pivot Mach 5.5 and loving it!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    So my brother's Rocky Mountain Altitude came with a Maxxis DHF 2.5 up front and DHRII in the rear. In every descent I'd creep up on him quickly ( I've got Specialized Butcher front, Purgatory rear. Both 2.6). I kept giving him hell about it so I jumped on his bike. My god, it felt like constant resistance. Good cornering grip but would slow down the moment you let off the power. That night we swapped his to the new Kenda Hellkat front, Nevegal 2 rear, 2.4s. Same trails the next day and I almost couldn't keep up with him. After our first trail he literally said " I think I'm in love!" He had nothing but good things to say about them after our ten mile ride. The trails were south east of Albuquerque NM, rated black with 15-25 percent grades with both hard pack and huge sharp and chunky rock. I'm still waiting for those same tires in 2.6 to become available.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    Some pics of that beauty.
    Kenda Hellkat Pro 2.4 834 grams
    Nevegal 2 Pro 2.4 809 grams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-d9710b41-72ac-4c78-94f2-c95073186345.jpg  

    Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-4505e5c0-6621-43e4-abb0-291d6fcfb6da.jpg  

    Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-671cb3fa-f5e8-4ea2-9123-543585959bea.jpg  


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    Uhhh.
    STILL waiting on arrival of the 2.4 Hellkat and Nevegal2 enduro versions to match up with my Bird Aeris 120. 🙄
    But good for you 😜

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    412
    the 2.6" are due End of May apaprently

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    Hellkat 2.4 enduro - end april
    Nevegal2 2.4 enduro - mid june
    here in Europe

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    Some pics of that beauty.
    Kenda Hellkat Pro 2.4 834 grams
    Nevegal 2 Pro 2.4 809 grams

    how wide do they measure on those Duroc 30's (27mm ID)?

  14. #14
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,273
    "It has half the rolling resistance of the original, producing about 33watts of resistance compared to 66 watts for the original."

    That would explain a lot. The original was popular here in Australia but soon became known as the "Kenda Never-go" on account of the rolling resistance.
    Less isn't MOAR

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    812
    Iíve been running them for a bit. Done a few races with them. Bought them from Kenda at a race before they were widely available.

    Itís a good tire. Iíve run it front and rear and as a front with mezcal 2.35 tnt g+ rear.

    Rolling resistance is much better than DHF/DHR2 (that combo rolling resistance is a joke anyway so no surprise there). Itís basically the same rr as dhf/aggressor or Michelin Wild AM.

    Has a good consistent feel when leaning it over.

    Itís a good tire, one of the top ones out there I think. Not extraordinary but I prefer it to Wild am because it feels more consistent (I like intermediate knobs on loose over hard). About 100g heavier than Wild am.

    I think you can easily pick between nevegal 2 pro, dhf/aggressor, and Wild am based on personal preference for feel and not lose any real performance between them.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    82
    Was this the folding or wired Hellkat ?

    The Helldiver come folding but struggling to find folding Hellkat/

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Iíve been running them for a bit. Done a few races with them. Bought them from Kenda at a race before they were widely available.

    Itís a good tire. Iíve run it front and rear and as a front with mezcal 2.35 tnt g+ rear.

    Rolling resistance is much better than DHF/DHR2 (that combo rolling resistance is a joke anyway so no surprise there). Itís basically the same rr as dhf/aggressor or Michelin Wild AM.

    Has a good consistent feel when leaning it over.

    Itís a good tire, one of the top ones out there I think. Not extraordinary but I prefer it to Wild am because it feels more consistent (I like intermediate knobs on loose over hard). About 100g heavier than Wild am.

    I think you can easily pick between nevegal 2 pro, dhf/aggressor, and Wild am based on personal preference for feel and not lose any real performance between them.
    Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at 2.6 Negeval 2 as an alternative to Aggressor 2.5? I suspect the Negeval 2 will end up maybe 50-60g lighter than the Aggressor. But overall would you say it has similar rolling resistance and grip to Aggressor? The biggest issue is price in the USA. Maxxis tires are easily on sale all the time in the $50-60range, but looks like the Kenda are selling at $80.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at 2.6 Negeval 2 as an alternative to Aggressor 2.5? I suspect the Negeval 2 will end up maybe 50-60g lighter than the Aggressor. But overall would you say it has similar rolling resistance and grip to Aggressor? The biggest issue is price in the USA. Maxxis tires are easily on sale all the time in the $50-60range, but looks like the Kenda are selling at $80.
    It's hard to say for sure, and grip and stuff may vary for terrain type (here where I ride in socal it's loose sand over hard) but I think it's probably similar enough. I think being used to the tire, and liking the way it feels and how it behaves is more important than if one tire has ever so slightly more grip than another. At least for me.

    My roll down test is very simple, but very repeatable. Start up a small hill (15-20ft of elevation) and from a standstill coast down it, roll out on the flat until the bike comes to a complete stop. Wear the same clothing, hold a position. No wind. This is on fire road that is typical of our conditions, not road. Repeat 3-4 times. Results were surprisingly consistent. End positions were sometimes within inches. Other times it would be up to a couple of feet. Difference between an aggressor and like a mezcal was 16 feet. 2.5" DHF/DHR vs 2.35 mezcal rear 2.4 nevegal front was 26 feet.

    When I tested the DHF/Aggressor 2.3 Exo vs the 2.4 Nevegal Pro 2 the stopping point was similar enough that I couldn't conclude one was faster than the other--especially in a meaningful way. Talking to the guys at Kenda, they don't seem to think that tire width has much affect on rolling resistance. I agree. Keep in mind this is in the context of a 2.2 vs 2.4 not like a 1.9 vs 5 or something crazy.

    If kenda is at any of your local races you may be able to pick up the tires at a discount.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    It's hard to say for sure, and grip and stuff may vary for terrain type (here where I ride in socal it's loose sand over hard) but I think it's probably similar enough. I think being used to the tire, and liking the way it feels and how it behaves is more important than if one tire has ever so slightly more grip than another. At least for me.

    My roll down test is very simple, but very repeatable. Start up a small hill (15-20ft of elevation) and from a standstill coast down it, roll out on the flat until the bike comes to a complete stop. Wear the same clothing, hold a position. No wind. This is on fire road that is typical of our conditions, not road. Repeat 3-4 times. Results were surprisingly consistent. End positions were sometimes within inches. Other times it would be up to a couple of feet. Difference between an aggressor and like a mezcal was 16 feet. 2.5" DHF/DHR vs 2.35 mezcal rear 2.4 nevegal front was 26 feet.

    When I tested the DHF/Aggressor 2.3 Exo vs the 2.4 Nevegal Pro 2 the stopping point was similar enough that I couldn't conclude one was faster than the other--especially in a meaningful way. Talking to the guys at Kenda, they don't seem to think that tire width has much affect on rolling resistance. I agree. Keep in mind this is in the context of a 2.2 vs 2.4 not like a 1.9 vs 5 or something crazy.

    If kenda is at any of your local races you may be able to pick up the tires at a discount.
    I got my first ride with my new Aggressor 2.5 (rear) and kept DHF (front). Definitely rolls and pedals better than DHF (front & back).

    And to clarify your test it was (front/back) DHF/Aggressor vs. DHF/Nevagal2 OR Nevagal2/Nevagal2 or Nevagal2/Mezcal?

    I'm intrigued and maybe Nevagal2/Aggressor can be good combo as well. Not like my DHF are worn out, but I was quite surprised how much noticably better rolling the Aggressor is compared to DHF.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    Any puncture feedback on the ATC casing when riding rockish trails. Hellkat front and Nevegal 2 rear???
    I'm hitting the alps next week and right now i've mounted my 1.5ish ply Bontrager SE5/SE4 but have the new Kenda on my workshop table.

  21. #21
    Maxxis cult follower
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    Kenda will be releasing their new Nevagal 2 pro tires with 2.4/2.6 widths

    Nevegal2 Pro

    article : https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/05...in-bike-tires/


    2.4 weight comes in a 810g +\- 40 although the etrto is 60-584 (2.35")
    2.6 weight is TBD


    anyone else stoked about this tire?
    i

    I'm not sure; I've noticed that Maxxis, while they may be bit heavier, have somewhat better grip and are not as loud on pavement. I was planning on buying both a 2.4 and a 2.6 pretty soon and if Kenda and Maxxis are the same price I was going to go w/Maxxis. What would the advantage of Kenda be? Are they claiming better grip, or lighter, or better rolling?

    I have a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on the back and it was fine, but it did wear down way faster than the Maxxis DHF 2.5 on the front. I understand the back tire will wear down faster due to most of the weight being on it, but it's 2/3 worn after 1200 miles; the Maxxis is only maybe 25% worn with about 1500 miles and can go a lot longer. Sorry but Maxxis just seems superior in many ways.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    I'm willing to give the Hellkat pro 2.4 AEC a shot (074V5852). Can't find it anywhere yet. If anyone got information on availabity...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    I got my first ride with my new Aggressor 2.5 (rear) and kept DHF (front). Definitely rolls and pedals better than DHF (front & back).

    And to clarify your test it was (front/back) DHF/Aggressor vs. DHF/Nevagal2 OR Nevagal2/Nevagal2 or Nevagal2/Mezcal?

    I'm intrigued and maybe Nevagal2/Aggressor can be good combo as well. Not like my DHF are worn out, but I was quite surprised how much noticably better rolling the Aggressor is compared to DHF.
    My testing is generally keeping the front tire constant. And only changing the rear tire. I was trying to figure out how much rolling resistance each tire has, and then building a combo I liked from there.

    Most of my testing has been with Michelin wild am front, and nevegal 2 pro 2.4 with the ebike casing front. Iíve also done a couple tests with the dhf in front just to see but it doesnít matter much.

    So taking to the kenda Guy, one of the differences between ATC casing and the ebike casing is the ebike casing adds another strip of reinforcing around the bead to provide tire stability and prevent pinch flatting. He says they are very durable, and in my experience of getting rim strikes front and rear Iíve yet to flat.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    News regarding Hellkat Pro AEC folding.

    It's due until late 2018 or early 2019 (also for EU buyers)

  25. #25
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,311
    I just picked up a Hellcat Pro 29x2.6 and Nevegal 2 Pro 29x2.6.

    I've already got the Rekon 29x2.6, and I really like it, but I could actually get the Kenda's for the same price, so I decided to try them. I'm all out of beefy rear tires, my Ardent Race is letting my rims get beat up. I hope that the Rekon 2.6 front and Aggressor 2.5WT rear will be an ok pair.

    Is the Hellcat Pro 29x2.6 a noticably more beefy tire? As in, would it be ideal to run with a DHR2 2.4WT out back, or an Aggressor 2.5WT?

    I don't like when my rear tires have more grip that the front.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    I have a Hellcat 2.4 in front and a DHR2 2.3 DUAL in the rear. I reckon it is a balanced combo. Use a DHR in the rear cause it doen't rip it's side knobs on rocky terrain.
    Last edited by CS645; 11-28-2018 at 01:09 PM.

  27. #27
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,311
    So just to confirm: the Hellcat is considerably more aggressive than the Nevegal2, correct?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    I haven't ridden the Nevegal2 yet, but I will give it a try on the rear when the DHR2 is done. Think it will make a nice combo with the Hellcat in front as well.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    I run the 2.4 Hellkat/Nevegal2 ATC combo and they are as velcro.
    Now i'm in a dilemma. Should I stick to Kenda and choose their AEC casing when they hit the market og go with another beloved combo the Bontrager SE5 2.6 /SE4 2.4. First world problems........ 🙄

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    206
    Any new experiences on the Nevegal2 29x2.6? I'm considering this tire F/R or Hellkat F / Nevegal2 R for pedaling heavy loamy/rocky/rooty trails using 25mm internal DT rims. Basically looking for a pretty fast rolling set that would still instill confidence in sketchy downs.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Any new experiences on the Nevegal2 29x2.6? I'm considering this tire F/R or Hellkat F / Nevegal2 R for pedaling heavy loamy/rocky/rooty trails using 25mm internal DT rims. Basically looking for a pretty fast rolling set that would still instill confidence in sketchy downs.
    Iím telling you man, give them a shot. Theyíre a great set of tires. Iím running Specialized Eliminator on front right now but fully intend on Hellkat 2.6 front, 2.4 rear when these wear out.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    So just to confirm: the Hellcat is considerably more aggressive than the Nevegal2, correct?
    Yes. The 2.6" Hellkat has the tallest side lugs this side of a Wetscream. The Nevegal 2 lug height is slightly less than that of a Minion. I'm assuming 2.4" versions are the same.

    Interestingly, both tires have an unusually wide tread - i.e. a very "wrapped" tread - making them particularly suited to wide rims. Width to the inside face of the side lugs is more than 1 cm wider than my 2.6" Vittoria Martello and almost 1 cm wider than on the upcoming 2.65" IRC Tanken (it's nominally 2.6", but measures wider).

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorjensen View Post
    I run the 2.4 Hellkat/Nevegal2 ATC combo and they are as velcro.
    Now i'm in a dilemma. Should I stick to Kenda and choose their AEC casing when they hit the market og go with another beloved combo the Bontrager SE5 2.6 /SE4 2.4. First world problems........ 
    I can confirm the like velcro comment regarding the Hellkat 2.4 ATC. Very predictable, always grips, works well in lot's of soil conditions, clears very well and rolling resistance is quite acceptable. It's very affordable as well.

    I will be switching to the AEC version for the higher mountains in summer and my wife will get my ATC. Just too bad that Kenda doesn't make a good equally strong rear tyre to accompany the Hellcat. I will try a Specialized Eliminator 2.3 Blck Dmnd for the rear. See how that works.

    Hellcat AEC is pretty hard to find in Europe though. Only place so far I found:
    https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/kenda-9...g-tire/599233/

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    Just too bad that Kenda doesn't make a good equally strong rear tyre to accompany the Hellcat.
    I'm hoping for the Nevegal2 to be available with AEC. I take it you're looking for something with more braking traction than the Helldiver AEC?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by R-M-R View Post
    I'm hoping for the Nevegal2 to be available with AEC. I take it you're looking for something with more braking traction than the Helldiver AEC?
    Precisely! Kenda has a world class front tyre on their hands with the Hellkat. Now they need to up their rear tyre range. If there was a AEC version of the Nevegal2 I'd buy it. Helldiver is indeed too low profile for me.

  36. #36
    It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Reputation: AVL-MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,033
    I ran nevegals for 3 years. Great tire for off-road. Cornering grip was great also. The only thing I didn't like was rolling resistance on pavement whenever I needed to get on the road for short periods of time.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    Precisely! Kenda has a world class front tyre on their hands with the Hellkat. Now they need to up their rear tyre range. If there was a AEC version of the Nevegal2 I'd buy it. Helldiver is indeed too low profile for me.
    Agreed on all points. Personally, I like a semi-slick on the rear, but I'm also an efficiency nerd who's willing to shred a few casings per year if it means less rolling resistance. I recognize I'm in the minority ... and possibly objectively foolish!

    If I was using a burly casing with more rolling resistance, the tiny increase in rolling resistance from a semi-slick to a fast tire with low, ramped knobs (such as the Nevegal2) would be trivial and the latter would be the obvious choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    I ran nevegals for 3 years. Great tire for off-road. Cornering grip was great also. The only thing I didn't like was rolling resistance on pavement whenever I needed to get on the road for short periods of time.
    Kenda claims the new version has half the rolling resistance. It's too early for me to comment on that, but if it's true, they're taking big steps toward becoming a contender again.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    I just got a new set of Maxxis rubber due to the difficulty of getting the AEC. So new 2.6 DHR2 3C MaxxTerra EXO+ and 2.4 WT DHR2 3C MaxxTerra DD but I keep looking back at those Kenda's.

    Btw 2.6 on 30.5ID yay or nay.

    I use the normal ATC casing for local and home country rides but needs to bulk up for alp and tougher park rides.
    Mabey I should just go AGC folding with the Hellkats and be a bit more cut safe.

    I find the Hellkat 2.4 ATC to roll slower than SE5 but something like DHR2.

    R-M-R nice also to see you here (PB, Bird Aeris Owners)

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorjensen View Post
    R-M-R nice also to see you here (PB, Bird Aeris Owners)


    Quote Originally Posted by Thorjensen View Post
    Btw 2.6 on 30.5ID yay or nay.
    Normally I'd say yes, but the Kendas are really wrapped. Combine the wrapped tread and greater tire deflection and you may not be able to fully engage the side lugs. So ... maybe?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    I can confirm the like velcro comment regarding the Hellkat 2.4 ATC. Very predictable, always grips, works well in lot's of soil conditions, clears very well and rolling resistance is quite acceptable. It's very affordable as well.

    I will be switching to the AEC version for the higher mountains in summer and my wife will get my ATC. Just too bad that Kenda doesn't make a good equally strong rear tyre to accompany the Hellcat. I will try a Specialized Eliminator 2.3 Blck Dmnd for the rear. See how that works.

    Hellcat AEC is pretty hard to find in Europe though. Only place so far I found:
    https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/kenda-9...g-tire/599233/
    Iíve recently ran the Eliminator on the rear of my bike, actually until I pinch flatted it yesterday. It was a 2.6 Grid on 33mm id wheels. Weighed 945g and measured 2.49 after wearing in. Another option would be the purgatory, which doesnít roll quite as fast but I feel has more climbing grip. Lateral grip on both are really good.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by agauna View Post
    Iíve recently ran the Eliminator on the rear of my bike, actually until I pinch flatted it yesterday. It was a 2.6 Grid on 33mm id wheels. Weighed 945g and measured 2.49 after wearing in. Another option would be the purgatory, which doesnít roll quite as fast but I feel has more climbing grip. Lateral grip on both are really good.
    My wife has the purgatory grid in the rear. She really likes it and for her weight it's fine, but for the summer season I want something more burely for myself.

  42. #42
    Got rocks?
    Reputation: desertwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    655
    So the combo rolls better than DHF/DHR combo and grips similar? I am running vigilante/trailboss combo now and want something that rolls better and lighter but doesn't give much up for grip. I ran DHF/DHR before and in 2.8's they were too draggy. How do they do on hardback rocky terrain and loose rocky terrain?

  43. #43
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,553
    Hellkat 29x2.6 next to DHF 29x2.5WT

    Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-a3f907dd-33d0-47c4-8c4d-dd1a15e06848.jpg

    Kenda's "new" Nevegal 2 Pro 27.5/29 (2.4" & 2.6" ) anyone get there hands on them?-1ec955b8-645a-4ab2-b558-8b05982eda84.jpg

  44. #44
    Got rocks?
    Reputation: desertwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    655
    Definitely a meaty looking tire. Curious how you think it rolls.

  45. #45
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,553
    It's meaty AF. I've only rolled around the driveway on it so far. I'll post back after getting some decent trail time on it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Definitely a meaty looking tire. Curious how you think it rolls.
    I think we overestimate our ability to discern rolling resistance! Personally, I can't tell the difference in rolling resistance between the 2.6" tires I've recently tested:

    • F: Kenda Hellkat 2.6", R: Kenda Nevegal2 2.6"
    • F & R: Vittoria Martello 2.6"
    • F & R: IRC Tanken 2.6"

    The only time I really notice a difference is when using a heavily reinforced casing (ex. double-ply or single-ply with heavy sidewall reinforcement) or a proper XC race tire with zero casing reinforcement. For example, Onza tires with Enduro casing have a super thick layer of rubber over the sidewall and roll terribly - super stiff, too, especially in cold weather. WTB's "Tough" casing is slow, Maxxis' Double Down is slow - to the surprise of absolutely no one. Also no surprise was that a Schwalbe Rocket Ron Liteskin non-tubeless tire, when set up tubeless, is crazy fast and should never - EVER - be skidded on limestone.

    All the flagship models with light reinforcement are now rolling pretty well and the difference in rolling resistance can be lost amidst the other variables, especially traction. When testing tires on different bikes, the difficulty in separating variables is that much worse.

    Summary:

    • They all roll pretty well.
    • The Hellkat beats the Minion on mechanical grip (soft or loose ground).
    • Minion beats Hellkat on friction (sticking to roots, rocks, hardpack).
    • Hellkat is better suited to wide rims because the tread is more wrapped. My rims are 36 mm internal and 40 mm looks possible; this is not true for a 2.5" Minion (unsure about 2.6").
    • Kenda durability is at least as good as Maxxis.
    • The Hellkat is not a clear winner or loser, compared to the Minion. That's huge progress for Kenda!

  47. #47
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,311
    How's the Nevegal2 Pro vs the Rekon? Vs the DHRII? Vs the Aggressor?

    I know the Hellcat will always be a front tire.

    I'm wondering if I can pair the new Nevegal with a Rekon up front, or if its too aggressive.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

  48. #48
    Got rocks?
    Reputation: desertwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    655
    I can say that without a doubt when I took my 2.6 vigilante light/High grip off and put a hand Dampf on I felt a lot less rolling resistance. And then when I took the trailboss off and put the nevegal on the back it got even better. But with a small difference Iím sure itís harder. At some point Iíll put the Kendaís on to see how they do compared to the HD2ís Iím running right now. Especially since most of my time is spent in the rocks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    How's the Nevegal2 Pro vs the Rekon? Vs the DHRII? Vs the Aggressor?

    I know the Hellcat will always be a front tire.

    I'm wondering if I can pair the new Nevegal with a Rekon up front, or if its too aggressive.
    I've used the Nevegal2 2.6" only on the rear. Difficult to really judge a tire from rear wheel performance.

    Traction is probably comparable to the Rekon or Aggressor and below the DHRII. Unlike the Aggressor's tread, which is too narrow for wide rims, the Nevegal2 has plenty of wrap. If your rims are narrow, you may never engage the side lugs; if your rims are wide and you've had problems with leaning beyond the lugs of other tires (i.e. sudden, complete loss of traction), the Nevegal2 should solve that.

  50. #50
    MTB guide
    Reputation: LeoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33
    I run the Nevegal 2 2.4" Pro ATC in rear and Hellkat 2.4" Pro ATC in front. Awesome grip, both rear and front. The front tire is very aggressive and has saved me from many front wheel wash outs! Great for both dry and wet trails, which was a must for my choice of tires since I run tubeless and will not switch tires depending on weather.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoR View Post
    I run the Nevegal 2 2.4" Pro ATC in rear and Hellkat 2.4" Pro ATC in front. Awesome grip, both rear and front. The front tire is very aggressive and has saved me from many front wheel wash outs! Great for both dry and wet trails, which was a must for my choice of tires since I run tubeless and will not switch tires depending on weather.
    Hi, i'm at the moment with some lighter tires for more xc style rides locally, i'm planning to reinstall for this summer bike park days, my Kenda's...
    I'm on 29" and 29mm internal width... both ATC 29x2.4... Do you also notice that the hellkat has really a squared profile compared to the nevegal 2?
    Also the casing width is slightly wider on the nevegal2(60/61mm) instead the hellkat(59/60mm), and also the weight...

    The Hellkat is 840gr
    The Nevegal2 is 898gr!!
    Maybe can i have a defective Hellkat (lacks in material and also width?)
    When i reinstall the hellkat should i try to let them inflated without sealant for 24/48hours near the maximum pression to see if it stretch a bit and become wider..

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    Well I'm leaving Kenda for a while now. Was in need of a new 2.6 and 2.4 Alp rocky proven sidewall setup but since there is no Hellkat 2.6 AEC I went back to a new and Alp proven SE5 2.6 and SE4 2.4 setup.
    Mabey the Hellkat AEC will come around some day.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorjensen View Post
    Well I'm leaving Kenda for a while now. Was in need of a new 2.6 and 2.4 Alp rocky proven sidewall setup but since there is no Hellkat 2.6 AEC I went back to a new and Alp proven SE5 2.6 and SE4 2.4 setup.
    Mabey the Hellkat AEC will come around some day.
    From what i have experienced, the ATC casing is somewhere in the middle between XR and SE casing, and maybe an EXO+... pretty supportive as being the lightest casing available..

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    133
    The ATC casing is SUPERB and like it as a normal trail and trust it on non-sharp rocky park runs.
    Running XR4/XR2 on my HT trail bike and you're right about the comparison with ATC between XR and SE casing. I feel the EXO is like XR casing but like the rounder Bonty profile. I feel the SE falls in between EXO+ and DD. But still find the SE casing to be the one to beat.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 07:09 AM
  2. Kenda Nevegal-X Pro!
    By doismellbacon in forum 27.5
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 09:49 AM
  3. Difference between Kenda Nevegal and Kenda Tomac Nevegal?
    By blue_neon in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
  4. Excited about new Kenda Nevegal K1010 tires
    By Jaybo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 176

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.