Kappius Sealant- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kappius Sealant

mtbr member

Kappius Sealant

Anyone else using Kappius sealant? I haven't see much discussion on it, but it's been working for me. So far I've been using it for a few months on a 29+ bike and after about 470 miles I've had no issues. I also changed tires a couple weeks ago and noticed there was more sealant left than I would have expected with Stans, and there wasn't much residue stuck to the tire.

https://www.kappiuscomponents.com/co...ch-tire-selant

mtbr member
    Glad to see its latex based. Not impressed with the new forever sealants.

Ill give it a shot. I keep going back to orange seal, but ill try.

This place needs an enema
    Hadn't heard of it til now.

I've always thought of sealant residue coating the inside of the tire as a "good" thing. No?

mtbr member
    eventually all that dried residue will add weight, plus some of the little morsels can plug up your valves. at least thats what my 11yr old son says.

Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    eventually all that dried residue will add weight, plus some of the little morsels can plug up your valves. at least thats what my 11yr old son says.

If it's sticking to the casing then it's capable of sticking/plugging/sealing a hole, right?

If it doesn't stick, what good is it?

Or so the rationale seems to go...

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by wideawakejake View Post
    part of ordinary bike maintenance and riding is changing meats for wear, conditions, or just to pull out stans boogers or orange peels...tubeless comes with added stuff to do
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    My primary issues with residue are added weight on bikes I race and the difficulty to remove it. I can't say for certain that this sealant won't leave anything at all, but after about 4 months (winter) of use I didn't see much stuck to the tires.

One notable thing about the Kappius sealant is the numerous particles in it. They made it difficult to fill the tire through the stem, which I assume means they'll help seal punctures. I would have just popped the bead loose and poured it in, but my tire and rim combo makes that very difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If it's sticking to the casing then it's capable of sticking/plugging/sealing a hole, right?

If it doesn't stick, what good is it?

Or so the rationale seems to go...
    I had a wonky batch of truckerco that would absolutely paint the inside of the tire. With a freshly topped off tire, I checked the next day and it looked painted like a house wall. 360 degrees around, just painted. I think I used 6oz in a 2.35, which is a lot.

So when that tire punctured, there wasn't enough volume of goop available to fill the puncture. It was all smeared onto everything where it couldnt flow to do any sealing.

A little sticking is good, but not painting the whole tire.

mtbr member
    Picked up a thorn in my front tire last night. It was somewhere around 3/4" long and fairly large diameter.

We were close to the trailhead, so I decided to pull the thorn out to see what would happen. I pulled the thorn out when it was in the 6 o'clock position and some sealant started coming out. I rotated the hole to the top and noticed it was leaking slowly and sealant was bubbling. I spun the tire some and shook it to try to get sealant to cover the hole, and not long after the hole was completely sealed. Rode about 5 more miles before making it back to the trailhead. When topping off my tire with air, it looked like I had only lost 1 or 2 pounds.

This was the first real puncture test I've had with the sealant, and overall it seems to have done an acceptable job.

mtbr member
    Maybe it's because of the sharp limestone where I live, but I would say maybe 1 in every 10 punctures actually seals with sealant. I am to the point where I feel like the only thing sealant does is initially plug up any weak spots from fresh tape.

I am interested if this Kappius stuff has bigger particles in it. That may help, because the vast majority of punctures I get are quite a bit bigger than your average thorn hole.

Hitching a ride
    The claims are ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I had a wonky batch...

A little sticking is good, but not painting the whole tire.

Agreed. Also sounds like no batch of sealant I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The claims are ambitious.
    Wanna try it? I'll send you a 2 ounce bottle to test it out.

-Brady Kappius

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb View Post
    Wanna try it? I'll send you a 2 ounce bottle to test it out.

-Brady Kappius

mind sending me a sample?-- I like to test how it squirts through a valve--or not

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No problem. Shoot me a PM!

Arch Stanton
    Oct 2019
    I live in the desert southwest and have been using Orange Seal regular and endurance, but I was thinking about trying another sealant for my 29 plus tires on my Trek Stache. I'd appreciate any feedback on the Kappius sealant or any other that might be better than what I'm using.