It's not creaking spokes...- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

It's not creaking spokes...

But it sure sounds like it. I have a hardtail with syntace dropouts and a XT 12sp drivetrain (including hub). It creaks LIKE CRAZY at over ~500w effort, in every gear. No sound under lighter loads or otherwise. I've already checked the spoke tensions, bolt torques, regreased all the interfaces, and rebuilt the hub, to no avail. Bike has about 300 miles on it.

Any ideas? Go ahead and spitball.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Bottom bracket?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Bottom bracket?
    I wish. It's the bombproofest BB ever (quad bearing BSA), i dismantled that too, and the noise comes from the rear end. Solid suggestion though.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Did you also check the front? On my bike creaks come from the front dropout (QR) at least 90% of the time. It sounds like it's further back, but it isn't.

Standing or sitting makes no difference?

turtles make me hot
    Pedal?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    But it sure sounds like it. I have a hardtail with syntace dropouts and a XT 12sp drivetrain (including hub). It creaks LIKE CRAZY at over ~500w effort, in every gear. No sound under lighter loads or otherwise. I've already checked the spoke tensions, bolt torques, regreased all the interfaces, and rebuilt the hub, to no avail. Bike has about 300 miles on it.

Any ideas? Go ahead and spitball.
    Did you grease the spoke where they cross?

I had wheel that would ping and creak under torque and spent too much time adjusting spoke tension. Put a dab of grease @ the spoke crossings & the noise disappeared. Not sure why this particular wheel was so noisy - thin spokes, flexy rim???

Elitest thrill junkie
    Always suspect the stuff you donít suspect.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sure it's every gear? I get creaking under load in all the gears on the lower gear carrier on 11sp XT, assumedly because the pins/carrier/cogs have some flex. Multiple cassettes. Definitely sounds like spokes.

I'd assume 12sp is still pinned cogs on a carrier?

I was actually able to make the carrier pop flexing the large cogs by hand on a really bad one FWIW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Did you grease the spoke where they cross?

I had wheel that would ping and creak under torque and spent too much time adjusting spoke tension. Put a dab of grease @ the spoke crossings & the noise disappeared. Not sure why this particular wheel was so noisy - thin spokes, flexy rim???
    This ^^^, I have a wheelset that in dusty conditions I get a nasty creak at the spoke crossings on the rear under load. I take a piece of mylar with oil on it and slide between the cross point where the spokes touch - completely silent after that.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It is amazing how hard it is to detect where some noises are coming from. The interface on the derailleur hanger is an easy fix to start, if that hasn't already been done. One of my road wheels requires me to put a drop of oil on each nipple about twice a year because of a marginal build with Revolution spokes. Some of my old Mavic wheels needed grease at the spoke cross also. I have had SPD pedal cleats squeak when I could have sworn it was something else. You can lightly sand the shiny parts on the cleat to help this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    seatpost?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Dropout to frame interface?
    Copperslip helps there.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue and chased that creak for months until I finally found it when doing a hub service... hairline cracked freehub shell. Check yours more closely with a magnifying glass.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    seatpost?

It's uncanny how often this is the answer. Even more uncanny how people look at you sideways for suggesting it, and never thank you (months later) when greasing all the metal/metal contact points on their post solves it.

The only thing that has proven more reliably creaky were chainring bolts, which (hallelujah) seem largely to have vanished.

mbtr member
    I haven't replied to this thread, but i'm reading it and appreciate all the responses so far.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My new XTR 12sp had clicking sound under load because cassette washer was missing. I heard new XT cassette has washer built in. Regreasing cassette interface also can fix it.

Rider
    Nov 2019
    Had the same problem, suspected spokes. Cut up a tube into little squares and slipped them between the spoke crossings. Creaking stopped. LBS owner told me that after a while, the black coating on the spokes gets rubbed off and the creaking starts. That's why I rode the wheelset for a year with no problems.

mbtr member
    I think i sorted it, and it's a weird one. I don't completely understand it myself.

I have a new superboost XT hub- this guy.
    Name:  HU2473.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  9.9 KB

When i pulled it apart last week, i just gave the guts an inspection, and it was immaculate. Popped it back together in confusion. Yesterday i pulled it apart again, and found i don't have this piece-
    Name:  slider.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  24.4 KB

It's entirely possible it fell off last week, but i couldn't find it in my work area.

Also, my buddy just got the xtr version of my hub, and while his hub engagement purrs along like you'd expect, mine would randomly go silent while coasting depending on how fast you were going or if you backpedaled. Mine has behaved weird from the start, i just didn't know.

I disregarded the warnings not to lube the mechanism, and dripped some triflow in there. Now i'm missing the spacer and lubed the internals... and it behaves exactly how the scylence hub was advertised. It's lovely. Silent all the time.

So i think my hub was very early production (i ordered it the week that hub became available), and the spacer that 'fixed' the scylence hubs was left out of mine. After a couple hundred miles the dry mechanism wore in to itself enough to creak. I think i'll run it this way and see what happens, cuz i don't really know what else to do. And i'm curious.

Thank you everyone for your ideas!

Shimano XT FH-M8130-B
    Mikhail Kalashnikov