Intense/Conti tyres???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Intense/Conti tyres???

Hi kiddies
    Are the Intense XC tyres any good? I am looking for a set of lightweight but still fairly fat tyres for hard XC/light freeride use. Running old Tioga DH 2.3 at the moment, far too heavy and clog easily in lovely Brit mud...
    Also, any comments on Continental? I have friends who loooove them. Are they right?

Black Lion
    Are the Intense XC tyres any good?

Yup.....system 4 tires(2.25) are so sweet.
    Continental Vertical( 2.3's) are also good. They are a bit thinner than a true 2.3 tire.
    Maxxis Minions (2.3)60a tires are also great.

I have yet to run Kenda's, but they are being hyped right now, on these boards. I am going to try a set of Kenda Blue grooves next.
    Voltron

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Conti's good

Having a great time on Conti Vert Pro's 2.3. Good combinaton of a bity tread design for challenging stuff, rolls well even at lower air pressures, and relatively light for it's size. In addition it has a compliant ride, not rock hard and slippery.

Haven't tried Intense tires yet, but i"m curious as to the performance of the System lineup.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Are the Intense XC tyres any good?

Yup.....system 4 tires(2.25) are so sweet.
    Continental Vertical( 2.3's) are also good. They are a bit thinner than a true 2.3 tire.
    Maxxis Minions (2.3)60a tires are also great.

I have yet to run Kenda's, but they are being hyped right now, on these boards. I am going to try a set of Kenda Blue grooves next.
    How fat are the Conti 2.3's compared to the System 4's? Are they actually any wider or less? I have System 4's and they are awesome. Thinking of getting the Vert 2.3's since they come in tubeless but if they are even the slightest bit wider than the System 4's they will not clear the swingarm on my Switchblade.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    How fat are the Conti 2.3's compared to the System 4's? Are they actually any wider or less? I have System 4's and they are awesome. Thinking of getting the Vert 2.3's since they come in tubeless but if they are even the slightest bit wider than the System 4's they will not clear the swingarm on my Switchblade.

Yo, I would stick with the System 4's. I have found the Conti's to be THINNER than the Systems. They are more like a 2.1 in my book. The System 4's are very beefy!!!!

But if you want tubeless Conti's, than there you go. Maxxis makes a tubless High Roller 2.3(might be heavy).

Greg
    Voltron

Tonight we ride.
    they will not clear the swingarm on my Switchblade.
    Time for a Quasi lower swingarm! I can fit big tires on my SB thanks to that upgrade. Although I can't go bigger than 2.5, or else the tire might contact the bottom of the shock on a hard hit.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    Time for a Quasi lower swingarm! I can fit big tires on my SB thanks to that upgrade. Although I can't go bigger than 2.5, or else the tire might contact the bottom of the shock on a hard hit.
    Is there any other difference in the swingarm besides the tire clearance? Is it heavier, is it the same length? How much did Titus charge you for it?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

I can comment on Contis.....

I ride in a lot of loamy, muddy, rooty conditions in Alaska and I really like my Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 (front) Survival Pro 2.1 (rear) combination. I exclusively ride technical XC and this combination is pretty well balanced for most conditions in that application. As a mud tire they are above average. They really shine on loose, loamy soils, loose rocks, and wet roots. In fact, I liked this setup so much that I'm on my second consecutive set, which is a first for me in nearly 20 years of MTBiking. Each set lasted me about 1.5 summer seasons.

Focus on the Mud: The Survival does shed mud well, but I've clogged it up couple of times under normal use.... but then again Iím not convinced any tire would have worked any better. The Vertical has smaller and closer spaced lugs and functions OK up front as a mud tire, but it gets clogged up more easily that the Survival.

Misc: Also, this combo doesn't respond well on hardpack especially the Survival, but that shouldn't come as a big surprise given they're not designed for that. I try to avoid the roads with these tires because they roll like tank tracks and the tall lugs make them rather squirmy.... it always feel like I have a flat. Both tires wear quite fast, even on the trails, as the compound seems rather soft and grippy, but this is of little consequence given their good, overall performance.

These aren't the perfect mud tires, but I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you went with the Contis given their breadth of application.

Good Luck,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Jan 2004

Vert 2.3 definitely fits the SB rear

I ran the vert 2.3 on my Switchblade for a while and there was plenty of room.

Joe

Edit: I did not have the tubelss version if there is a difference

Tonight we ride.
    Is there any other difference in the swingarm besides the tire clearance? Is it heavier, is it the same length? How much did Titus charge you for it?
    It's slightly heavier, not sure how much. A full Quasi (FR) rear end adds half a pound, but I bet more of that is the upper swingarm, so probably less than .25lbs. It's .1" longer. It's extremely stiff, much stiffer than the regular lower just based on flexing the two by hand. Charles mentioned he is even running one on his personal Hammerhead. It clears the front derailleur much better, which was an issue for me with my XTR front derailleur, I had to run it a little high to avoid contact. And it looks cooler too.

I haven't scanned any photos of mine yet, although I have a bunch of before and after shots with the same tires, but here's a pic belonging to Ridethebike, who made the same upgrade (notice that's a vert pro he's running):

mtbr member
    Ditto what EndUser said.

I have the same combo (Vert front/ Survival Pro back).

Here in Northern Manitoba, some of the trails have this "prairie gumbo" type of mud and not many tires shed mud that well. The Survivals, with the large gaps between lugs, do a fairly decent job but on the front, the Verts don't clear as quickly.

Actually, I didn't find that the lugs were too squirmy on the hardpack. Probably cuz I'm fat and my big cushy backside is negating the "squirminess!" Also, I'm sorta biased here since I've always liked the Contis and the natural rubber compound.

www.derbyrims.com

Conti 2.3 Vert Pro compared to the System 4

I've used both Conti 2.3's and 2.25 System 4's.

The System fours are much larger and somewhat heavier then the Vert Pros, but roll better, handle much better wet and dry, and grip better on wet rocks. They are much longer lasting than the Vert Pros. I'd use them full time if they were really fast rolling and a little lighter. In Nor Cal I just use one System 4 in front in the winter, with a MutanoRaptor 2.4 (which is a tad bit smaller than the System-4 2.25) in back for a light weight rolling resistant tire that sheads mud very well (also in front in the dry season). I wish WTB made a sticky rubber MutanoRaptor and I'd use it in the front too in the wet season.

I found the Vert Pros are more close to 2.1 size, slow rolling, rather hooky in ruts and corners, and they didn't like lower tire pressure or very firm tire pressure either. They are a good front tire in the wet but not a good dry tire compared to many others.

I'll try the rather sticky good rolling System 4's in the desert next time to possibly replace my favorite desert use MotoRaptor 2.4, a tough hard compound which works very well on dry rock and sand.

- ray

Removed at birth

Another Vote for the System 4s.

I run a system four on the back of my heckler, and I've loved it so far. I ride dry rocky steep terrain, and they hook up well. I was not too impressed with them in the mud though. Thank goodness it rarely rains here in Southern California.
    Peace out! War In!