mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Input on 27.5" tires for aggressive trail-riding to touring needed

I definitively need new tires in spring. Currently my Jeffsy 27 (27.5", i30 rims) runs Highroller IIs (MaxTerra front / MaxPro rear) and I want to improve my front grip in terms of slipping on dry hard sandy surfaces and, at best, to decrease the rolling resistance on the rear for longer rides. I mostly do 10-20km rides (250-500hm) aggressively on my hometrails (german woods, south-western rhineland-palatine, periphery of northern vosges; basically forrest debris and roots but also dry hardpack and sand, very mixed! Pictures from my hometrails: https://imgur.com/gallery/rveGb3w), but now and then I do 40-50kms (up to 1500hm) rides for which the HRIIs are definitively tiring over the day for me.
    When going Maxxis I'm settled on the DHF WT 2.5 MaxTerra on the front. On the back I just don't know if I should go DHR II WT 2.4 or Aggressor WT 2.5 Duals. I sadly have no comparison as I just seriously came into MTBiking in the last 2 years. I would say I don't want to really miss braking traction from the HRII when it works well (that was good in loom but, as in the front, bad on very dry ground as we sometimes had it in the summer) other than that I would love a little less rolling resistance. Since I have no current frame of reference other than my Highrollers (and Kenda CX tires on my Orbea hardtail) I have a hard time deciding on DHR2 vs Aggressor. Furthermore, the slightly more finicky WT 2.6 DHF and a faster tire like the Forekaster may also be nice, right?
    Alternatively I'm thinking about going Schwalbe and Magic Marry / Nobby Nic but I'm not sure if the NN is reliable enough for me. I ran down the HRIIs in one season and never had a flat. Had to change the sealant after 3-4 month (Schwalbe Doc Blue / Stan's) but other than that my tires "just worked". Would love to have that again. The new Hans Dampf in 2.35" is only available in Addix Soft which is kind of a bummer for my intended use I guess (could also be used on the front, though). But maybe I'm overestimating the penality in rolling resistance added by this compound.
    Continental's Baron 2.4 on the front and the new Mountain King 2.3 (or Trail King 2.4) in their expensive Black Chili Compound are also a valid option for me I guess.
    What are your opinions on that topic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have you thought about the Assegai? Should have great all-round properties. Not as gnarly/ open as the shorty or dhr2, so it rolls better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The Assegai is in my list to watch out, waiting for a lighter one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Can anyone comment on the rolling resistance of the new Hans Dampf Addix Soft 2.35?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I used it as a rear tire on my old bike. Rolls OK, but the grip on wet roots were crap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just ordered a DHF WT 2.5 MaxTerra / DHR2 WT 2.4 Dual because it was cheap (75), should roll a tad better but should grip nicely enough all year (I'm no mud-rider).

I'm with stupid
    Wise choice it is a very good all around set up. I have a hard time telling a rolling resistance difference from the 2.4 DHR2 dual and the 2.5 aggressor 2.5 WT. Both are great rear tires.