Inner Rim width for 2.35 tire: 22mm or 30mm???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Inner Rim width for 2.35 tire: 22mm or 30mm???

I like my 29" Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tires but my current 19mm rims are at least a little too narrow for them. I'm considering getting some Light Bicycle carbon wheels with 30mm inner width rims but would they be too wide for 2.35 tires?

Another option is Light Bicycle rims that have a 22mm inner width. They weigh 75 grams less than their 30mm rims but are only 3mm wider than the rims I have. That seems too narrow to me so I am really leaning toward getting 30mm inner width rims.

I will use them for XC cruising and moderate trail riding on a Giant XTC Advanced hard tail.

I ride somewhat cautiously and do not corner very fast.

My current 19mm ID wheels are probably Ok for how I ride but I want a second set of wheels with narrrower hybrid tires. My current wheels will be fine for that. If I get new wheels I'd like them to be ideal for my wider tires.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: since posting this I found how to take advantage of Advanced Search and now I see this has been discussed a lot already. Also I believe the wider rims will be better however I am still open to suggestion.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, get the wider rims.

mtbr member
    I have to laugh at these threads when most DH'rs are still running 823's (23mm wide inner width) at three times the speeds of trail riders. Honestly Maxxis tires run narrow and 19mm is NOT too narrow for Ikons, in fact you'd be perfectly fine running them on 17mm rims if you wanted! If you have to have the latest and greatest (and have the cash) then go ahead and drink the koolaid/go 30mm. Just RIDE man!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-09-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    I like my 29" Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tires but my current 19mm rims are at least a little too narrow for them. I'm considering getting some Light Bicycle carbon wheels with 30mm inner diameter rims but would they be too wide for 2.35 tires?

Another option is Light Bicycle rims that have a 22mm inner diameter. They weigh 75 grams less than their 30mm rims but are only 3mm wider than the rims I have. That seems too narrow to me so I am really leaning toward getting 30mm inner diameter rims.

I will use them for XC cruising and moderate trail riding on a Giant XTC Advanced hard tail.

I ride somewhat cautiously and do not corner very fast.

My current 19mm wide wheels are probably Ok for how I ride but I want a second set of wheels with narrrower hybrid tires. My current wheels will be fine for that. If I get new wheels I'd like them to be ideal for my wider tires.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: since posting this I found how to take advantage of Advanced Search and now I see this has been discussed a lot already. Also I believe the wider rims will be better however I am still open to suggestion.
    I've run 2.35" and 2.5" maxxis on 19mm mavic XM719's for several years. If you're running tubeless with enough tire pressure to keep from regularly bottoming out on the rim and the tire does not fold over, your rims are wide enough.

The wider rim will also square off the tire profile a bit.

That said, it's always nice to have a wider rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I run 2.35 nobby nics and 2.4 x kings on my 22mm Roval carbons with no problem. 30 mm inside seems really wide imo
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

Chris Bling
    I am getting a really good tire profile from 2.3 tires from my 23mm internal width tires. I like the rounded profile better than the more blocky profile from the wider rims
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I have to laugh at these threads when most DH'rs are still running 823's (23mm wide inner width) at three times the speeds of trail riders. Honestly Maxxis tires run narrow and 19mm is NOT too narrow for Ikons, in fact you'd be perfectly fine running them on 17mm rims if you wanted! If you have to have the latest and greatest (and have the cash) then go ahead and drink the koolaid/go 30mm. Just RIDE man!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    It is my understanding that Ikon's run small except for the 2.35's which I have. The 2.35's look huge next to the next size down. They also look huge on my 19mm inner rims. At 25 psi I can easily wiggle them substantially side to side.

I don't corner fast enough for it to matter but I think I feel them rolling side to side when climbing up the loose rocks on the trails I ride most. It is unnerving but I'm not positive it is the rims because rocks can feel squirrely. Also, it might be the placebo effect because it bothers me that I can wiggle my tires so much. However, being able to wiggle them so much can't be good.

(I wonder if anyone has attached a Go-pro to their bottom bracket to get video of what their rear tire is doing in different scenarios. That might make a good commercial for a company selling wide rims.)

Lastly, wider rims allow lower pressures which makes for higher speeds. Nothin wrong with that. If I was riding DH I'd probably be trying to find ways to go slower but as a hard working trail rider, faster is better.

Now I'm laughing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I am getting a really good tire profile from 2.3 tires from my 23mm internal width tires. I like the rounded profile better than the more blocky profile from the wider rims
    Me too I agree. I have been riding wtb frequency i23 rims for awhile and I am very happy with the tire profile etc. 23mm is great with maxis dhf 2.3 which measures just under 2.3..
    30mm rims will just scratched up faster....
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.
    My understanding based on the replies is 19mm might be good enough. 23mm is probably better. 23mm might be best if I took corners fast enough to appreciate the easier rolling onto the edge lugs. Some think 30mm might be ideal.
    I recently read that Light Bicycle has started making rims with 24mm inner width. I will consider those too.
    Since wider rims make tires perform like bigger tires, maybe 24mm inner rims and one size smaller tires would be a good option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm running Bonty XR1 2.2 tires with small center blocks on 29.3 interior dim Wide Lightnings. The added performance seems very normal now to me. Very solid and right. I don't think a wider tire would give me the same speed and grip without a similar thread pattern. Good cushion on my hardtail with the added volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    My understanding based on the replies is 19mm might be good enough. 23mm is probably better. 23mm might be best if I took corners fast enough to appreciate the easier rolling onto the edge lugs. Some think 30mm might be ideal.
    I recently read that Light Bicycle has started making rims with 24mm inner width. I will consider those too.
    Since wider rims make tires perform like bigger tires, maybe 24mm inner rims and one size smaller tires would be a good option.
    Pretty accurate.
    Up until a month ago I was using magic cross rides which are 19mm. With nevegals 2.35's they are/were a little squirmy unless which made me inflate them a few psi higher than I wanted to stiffen the tire sidewalls.
    On my new wtb i23 (23mm inner) they are much more forgiving at lower psi. My maxxis 2.3 dhf (2.25measured )'s are sweet on the i23's.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just bought spank oozy 29 wheel set 25 inner from jenson USA . I had m1900 I can hardly wait to ride I know these rims are going to hook up.

mtbr member
    Its funny how much opinions have changed in just a year. We all went from saying 19-22mm rims were good, to today where everyone seems to think they're useless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm torn on going wider. I've ridden ibis 941s. Loved them. But I wonder if it's just they are stiff and strong. Looking at WTB Ci24 24mm internal width carbons now. But dont know much about their wheels. Anyone have any feedback on WTBs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its funny how much opinions have changed in just a year. We all went from saying 19-22mm rims were good, to today where everyone seems to think they're useless.
    Shows how well the hype machine works.
    In another year or 2 everyone will be saying how awesome Boost 148 is and how every bike without it is crap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    19-22 width are only road bike rims now. Even gravel bikes use 24 width
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Land of the 230+
    2.4 x-king (which runs narrow IMO) on a 23mm inner rim, and its nowhere near too tight. I wouldn't hesitate to run 22 if you find there are benefits over the 30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    19-22 width are only road bike rims now. Even gravel bikes use 24 width
    Road uses 23Mm outside. We're talking inside.

mtbr member
    Some three years ago I ran 2.35 Nobby Nic Snakeskins on 19 mm tk540 rims. At low pressures they were too squirmy, so I wanted to go a bit wider. I have used Crest rims (21 mm) over two years now and I still like them a lot. Just 2 mm made the difference I wanted. I'm a lightweight and run really low pressures (16-17 psi front, 18-19 rear) so rim width is important, but only to a point.

DH comparisons don't apply. The tires are much more rigid on their own and tire pressures are higher. In that discipline narrow rims are not a problem at all. It's all about tire profile.

Chris Bling
    Haha, last year I said 23mm was the bomb. Since then I have had a bunch more time on widths from 24 to 30mm's. I actually prefer the 30mm width on dry, rocky terrain, and prefer the 24-25mm's on the wet, slick terrain. The narrower rims put the side knobs further out than the sidewall and tends to help grab in the slop.

The evolution of opinions...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    30mm light bicycle w/2.3 butcher on the front and my buddies said I corner like I'm on rails

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

The evolution of opinions...
    it's cool having both

craigsj
    The narrower rims put the side knobs further out than the sidewall and tends to help grab in the slop.
    Not really but sounds good. Flawless bro science thinking.

mtbr member

Inner Rim width for 2.35 tire: 22mm or 30mm???

The newer maxxis 2.3 sized. Tires were designed around 23-25 mm. Any. Wider and the tire is too boxy and does not corner right.
    Last edited by Reelchef67; 11-04-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    yep! Wider 30mm rims makes 2.35 tires hang on walls.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Do you think that maxxis ikons will work well on my hartail (giant adv. with p-xcr0 584x19 wheelset)? Planning to use 2.35F/2.2R

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those skinny 19mm id rims limit performance a lot. The tires will work, as in air up and stay on the rims. You would jump to another level of capability with 30mm id rims on that bike. Bontrager Team tires have a rounded profile that works very well at lower pressures on a 30mm id rim wheel.

mtbr member
    Ya I rode i19 Mavics with nevegal 2.35 's. You have to ride with more psi to keep them from folding in corners.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    This is an old thread but I thought I would share my results. I'm the OP and I got 30mm inner width carbon rims. They made the tires feel much more precise. Before the new rims, I was only putting about 17 psi in the tires. If the tires had more pressure, like 22 psi. I might not have needed the rims but with the rims they work fine down to 18 psi.

Now I am especially glad I got the 30mm id rims because I am getting new tires, Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 and they are designed to work with 30mm to 35mm id rims. This should be a good combo for my hardtail XC bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Most DH riders and racers could ride any rim/tire combo because of skill and a super plush bike set up. But #widerisbetter unless your a XC racer. Wider rims give the tire a much better feel and added traction. Especially tubeless and you can run lower pressures. I’ll never go back to a narrow rim, unless I build a road bike, and even road bikes have gone wider rims. This is not tread it’s a fact that “light bulb” shape your narrow rim gives your tires is poorer performer period!
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wider is better. Unless you just trying to stay light 💡 as in having a light 💡 bulb tire look and tire that needs higher pressures and folds over in corners.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    too wide rims and too narrow are both bad when taken to extremes. Too narrow and you get poor handling and more flats. too wide and you get a lot of drag due to the side knobs likely contacting the ground all the time.

This article: THE RIGHT TYRE WIDTH ON THE RIGHT RIM WIDTH - Engineerstalk : Engineerstalk

says that a 19mm rim could safely (yes "safely" is the word used in the article) fit a 28c through 62c (1.1" to 2.44") tire width! IMHO I would err on the more conservative side and go 35mm to 52mm (1.37" to 2.05") tire width. (scroll down in the article and there is a chart posted showing the acceptable tires to fit various rim widths).

So....according to Mavic Engineers, putting a 2.5" tire onto a 19mm rim would be "unsafe" - so in that case, a wider rim is definitely better - the ideal being around 23-24mm rim, and the maximum being 29mm. This would mean that the OP's idea to use a 30mm rim on a 2.35" tire would be too extreme and possibly unsafe.

As for the 2.6" tires on 30mm rims that tire width is not on their chart, but it looks like IF they had included it, the 30mm rim would be at the wider extreme but still safe. Also, it looks like the article was written with road tires in mind, so the safe extremes may be slightly different for MTB tires, but I think its reasonable to assume the same principles apply, so it's still valid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyaaaa View Post
    As for the 2.6" tires on 30mm rims that tire width is not on their chart, but it looks like IF they had included it, the 30mm rim would be at the wider extreme but still safe. Also, it looks like the article was written with road tires in mind, so the safe extremes may be slightly different for MTB tires, but I think its reasonable to assume the same principles apply, so it's still valid.
    The 2.6 width Maxxis Recon tires that I mentioned above are designed for rims that are from .30i to .35i.

This is from the Maxxis website in reference to the Recon Tires: Wide trail (WT) casing is optimized for 30-35mm inner width rims.

Therefore, 30mm is the minimum width rim they recommend for these tires. They have several other tire models that have the WT design.

Here is more info about Maxxis Wide Trail tires for wide rims.
    https://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Cool, looks like things are evolving quickly...the article i linked to was from 2015 I think, so its already a bit "outdated" lol...

I suppose i'll just have to live with my "skinny" 2.3" High rollers on my "old" 2016 Norco range...

Have fun with your wider tires!