Industry Nine Problems?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Industry Nine Problems?

Just picked up a pair of industry nines (1/2 season old). One of the better customers of my LBS just got his new frame, and the colour of the wheels was wrong, so he ordered a new pair to change colour.

So I got the old set at a smokin' price.

Anyway, went to put them on and the rear hub is in rough shape. There is a hairline crack in the freebody, and two of the disc tabs have cracks in them too. Now the LBS is fully taking care of me, and I assume that I9 will warrantee any parts, but I am just a little thrown off to see this much wrong with what is supposed to be a premium part.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDCA View Post
    Just picked up a pair of industry nines (1/2 season old). One of the better customers of my LBS just got his new frame, and the colour of the wheels was wrong, so he ordered a new pair to change colour.

So I got the old set at a smokin' price.

Anyway, went to put them on and the rear hub is in rough shape. There is a hairline crack in the freebody, and two of the disc tabs have cracks in them too. Now the LBS is fully taking care of me, and I assume that I9 will warrantee any parts, but I am just a little thrown off to see this much wrong with what is supposed to be a premium part.
    It's not that wheels were only used for a 1/2 season but how they were used during that 1/2 season......sounds like they were hammered by the original owner. Even premium bike parts fail if they are not serviced or ridden outside of their intended use. Did you get a chance to inspect them before purchase?

mtbr member
    The guy who had them didn't really beat on them (I know the guy and ride with him). He certainly won't be beating on them any harder than I will.

I did have a look at them, although when I check them out they were on a bike, so I more checking the engagement, and whether the wheels were still true.

Had another look at them as I went to pick them up, didn't really look at the disc tabs at all.

Anyway, I do accept that I should have spotted these two issues, really its the disc tabs that that have me weirded out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For that kind of money why should you not
    be able to beat them?

Best, John

mtbr member
    What hubs are they? XC or Enduro? Not that either should fail like this, just curious.

I've had a pretty good experience with my AM wheelset (enduro hubs), over a year old now and I beat on 'em pretty hard. I've had to replace some broken pawl springs, that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought some I9 Ultralites, used, from a a pro for 350 bucks. There was a hairline crack in the freehub body too. I replaced that and have never had another problem. That was about 4000 miles ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    What hubs are they? XC or Enduro? Not that either should fail like this, just curious.

I've had a pretty good experience with my AM wheelset (enduro hubs), over a year old now and I beat on 'em pretty hard. I've had to replace some broken pawl springs, that's about it.
    Enduro built on flows. They should be pretty heavy duty for trail wheels.

mtbr member
    despite claims to the contrary, I9 wheels have frequent problems and its a pain in the butt to be sending wheels back for service. last time i sent mine in the turnaround time was 3 weeks. ended up buying a set of the new XTR wheels that were on sale for 550/pair and now believe them to be the superior wheel. much less hub drag.

mtbr member
    Enduro built on flows. They should be pretty heavy duty for trail wheels.
    Yup, I hear ya. Assuming you've contacted I9 on this, I'm interested in hearing how they respond.

mtbr member
    LBS sent photos of the problems to i9 earlier this week, should be hearing something soon.

They figured at a minimum that there would be a new hub shell, and freebody, and maybe just a new hub.

mtbr member
    I should state that I have a terrible track record with bike parts. I break stuff at an alarming rate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    despite claims to the contrary, I9 wheels have frequent problems and its a pain in the butt to be sending wheels back for service.
    I have no doubt your XTR wheels are a quality product, I'm an XTR fan too. But out of fairness to I9, be careful when making bold blanket statements like the above. Unless you're in some industry position to have direct knowledge on the performance (or lack thereof) of a large percentage of the thousands of I9 wheels out there, this is simply your opinion, likely based on a few stories you have heard, what you've read on the internet (we all know how unbiased THAT is) and what you have probably experienced firsthand with .00001% of their products out there in use.

Also, aside from the catastrophic failure the OP has experienced, I'm not sure what type of service you would have to send a wheel/hub back to I9 for. My experience has been that they are very owner-freindly when it comes to service. I had my hub completely apart when I converted my axle (and replaced bearings while I was in there) recently, and my LBS has had no problem replacing the occasional damaged spoke. Additionally, anytime I've had a question (as with my axle conversion) there has always been a knowledgable, helpful I9 employee on the other end of the phone.

Just tryin' to keep it real here.

mtbr member
    I9 sent me new hub shell, freehub body, bearings, and ratchet system. (I think I had to pay shipping), and LBS is rebuilding the wheel at minimal charge. So for about no cost, I am ending up with brand new rear hub.

Turns out the the wheels don't have much riding, but are a few years old, and have the old thinner freehub body. So this is an upgrade to the latest.

mtbr member
    That's good news. I know what a bummer the down time is though.

Just a heads up, now that everything's brand new, you'll likely notice a fair bit of drag at first when free-wheeling. This will go away as everything breaks in. I've read some people have removed half of the pawls (3 of 6) when they encountered this. Not necessary in my opinion, the drag will go away and removing half the pawls reduces the points of engagement I9's are known for.

Now go get the thing dirty.

mtbr member
    ... no downtime. I have backup wheels for just this sort of issue.

mtbr member
    I9 sent me new hub shell, freehub body, bearings, and ratchet system. (I think I had to pay shipping), and LBS is rebuilding the wheel at minimal charge. So for about no cost, I am ending up with brand new rear hub.

Turns out the the wheels don't have much riding, but are a few years old, and have the old thinner freehub body. So this is an upgrade to the latest.
    Interesting on the freehub body - do you know when they changed? I've suspected for some time that mine isn't thick enough as I get creaking on warmer days but not on colder days with tightly laced 819's.

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Additionally, anytime I've had a question (as with my axle conversion) there has always been a knowledgable, helpful I9 employee on the other end of the phone.
    +1
    I think their customer service is outstanding.

I had a problem a while back with my rear I9 hub. Sounded like it was skipping - I noticed the pawl springs kept losing their spring. Jake at I9 worked with me through many iterations of trying to figure out the problem. He was really patient and actually sent me a new freehub to try out. Nothing worked, so I finally sent in the wheel. They determined that the hub needed to be replaced. Since my rim was rather beat, they suggested that I pay the $80 for a new rim and they would rebuild the wheel with a new hub and spokes. So that is a brand new rear wheel for $80. Outstanding.

However, after more than a year, it appears that the same problem is starting again. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Industry Nine Cracks

I've just sent my 8 month old I9 rear hub to get fixed as 2 of the brake rotor tabs have cracks in them (directly opposite each other). One of them has cracked off and the other has cracked on one side. I've always used a torque wrench when bolting on the rotors and only torque em up to 6n/m so overtorquing is not the issue.

Lets see how the warrantee goes as in Malaysia warrantee issues with the retailers can be a hassle.

I'm happy with the hubs however just this shouldnt happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    despite claims to the contrary, I9 wheels have frequent problems and its a pain in the butt to be sending wheels back for service. last time i sent mine in the turnaround time was 3 weeks. ended up buying a set of the new XTR wheels that were on sale for 550/pair and now believe them to be the superior wheel. much less hub drag.
    I've had nothing to great service from I9. My road wheels went back to them and they rebuilt it in one day. From start to finish, it took a week to get my new wheels back.

I say your experience was an outlier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Industry Nine Cracks

I just got word from the bike shop who sold me the hub (Bike Pro Centre PJ in KL) a new hub outside is on it's way and it'll be fixed in a day or so. I can't complain therefore about the hubs at all.

Virtually no questions asked by the dealer from Singapore he just wanted to see the hub and he then approved the warrantee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    +1
    I think their customer service is outstanding.

I had a problem a while back with my rear I9 hub. Sounded like it was skipping - I noticed the pawl springs kept losing their spring. Jake at I9 worked with me through many iterations of trying to figure out the problem. He was really patient and actually sent me a new freehub to try out. Nothing worked, so I finally sent in the wheel. They determined that the hub needed to be replaced. Since my rim was rather beat, they suggested that I pay the $80 for a new rim and they would rebuild the wheel with a new hub and spokes. So that is a brand new rear wheel for $80. Outstanding.

However, after more than a year, it appears that the same problem is starting again. Ugh.
    ditto. 2 pawl kits in 2 years. new freehub body too.

mtbr member
    That's good news. I know what a bummer the down time is though.

Just a heads up, now that everything's brand new, you'll likely notice a fair bit of drag at first when free-wheeling. This will go away as everything breaks in. I've read some people have removed half of the pawls (3 of 6) when they encountered this. Not necessary in my opinion, the drag will go away and removing half the pawls reduces the points of engagement I9's are known for.

Now go get the thing dirty.
    you a shill? sounds like it.

Members who have read this thread: 4