mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Industry 9 Enduro S hubs with conventional rims

This may be obvious but I'm out of the loop and haven't found it discussed: Can the I9 Enduro-S hubs be laced to conventional 32H rims (i.e. by a local bike shop)?

I'm talking about the newer straight pull, steel spoke variation... they don't sell just the hubs, but seems like this is otherwise no longer a proprietary wheel design.

Those aluminum spokes save a few grams and look cool, but I'd much rather keep my money and my options open!

mtbr member
    Why don't you ask them at the shop?

loud hubs save lives

Yes, they are just straight pull hubs that use sapim spokes. They arenít the same spoke interface as their system hubs, which are threaded and use the proprietary I9 spokes.

Iím only talking about relacing should you bust a rim .. i doubt they sell the hubs alone

mtbr member

They donít sell the S-hubs alone other than to Reynolds as a PL contract. Theyíre also 28h hubs.

Just buy their standard flanged hubs. I use the 32h and 28h hubs and theyíre great hubs. Iíve also had 6 sets of their system wheels and their excellent wheels, very durable and come with 4 spare spokes.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    The alloy spoke wheels are not completely proprietary, it's just the spoke to hub interface. Those can be laced to any rim of a matching erd or close to it. We get all sorts of different rims sent in to be built to the alloy chassis. Same would apply to the s-series hubs. They are used on Reynolds higher end wheels, just with a centerlock interface. What rim are you thinking of lacing them to?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by shaquille_o'wheel View Post
    The alloy spoke wheels are not completely proprietary, it's just the spoke to hub interface. Those can be laced to any rim of a matching erd or close to it. We get all sorts of different rims sent in to be built to the alloy chassis. Same would apply to the s-series hubs. They are used on Reynolds higher end wheels, just with a centerlock interface. What rim are you thinking of lacing them to?
    Hey shaq, What other wheel builder/ companies use a nipple-less interface between the rim and spoke? Isnít that proprietary as well?

I know Mavic innovated the proprietary AL spoked, ball and socket spoke/ hub interfaced wheel with their Crossmax series. But used a spline drive style AL nipple. Another very durable wheel with Alloy spokes. I had a set of them that I just sold last year with thousands of miles on them. I wore out the bearings a while ago, rebuilt the hubs (with a hub doctor kit) and they were good as new. Being 26Ē they sat around in a bag, so I sold them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Fanatik Bike builds custom wheels around the straight pull i9 hubs and aluminum spokes. In one of their videos they say they're the only shop that can get the hubs and spokes from i9 to do the custom builds, but any other shop should be able to build up a wheelset using the aluminum spokes and straight pull hubs to a non i9 rim if you already have them. Fanatik is just the only one that you can buy the hubs and spokes from w/o starting with a complete i9 wheelset.

The one piece spoke-nipple isn't proprietary. The head of the spoke mimics a nipple and doesn't require anything special going on in the rim/drillings. For example if you buy a set of enduro 305s and bust up a rim, you should be able to take it to a shop and have a DT rim laced up to the aluminum spokes and straight pull hub.

The one thing is that you need to make sure the rim and spoke length combo works. I'm not sure if i9 has a ton of sizes since apart from Fanatik they don't really sell their aluminum spokes besides in their own wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Hey shaq, What other wheel builder/ companies use a nipple-less interface between the rim and spoke? Isnít that proprietary as well?

I know Mavic innovated the proprietary AL spoked, ball and socket spoke/ hub interfaced wheel with their Crossmax series. But used a spline drive style AL nipple. Another very durable wheel with Alloy spokes. I had a set of them that I just sold last year with thousands of miles on them. I wore out the bearings a while ago, rebuilt the hubs (with a hub doctor kit) and they were good as new. Being 26Ē they sat around in a bag, so I sold them.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie View Post
    The one piece spoke-nipple isn't proprietary. The head of the spoke mimics a nipple and doesn't require anything special going on in the rim/drillings.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I know the rims and drilling are non-custom. Who else has used a one piece spoke without a nipple? Iím unaware of any other company using that technology.

mtbr member
    Itís a good idea licensing Fanatik to handle some of the west coast biz. I didnít realize that I9 built custom wheels with other rims on the S-28h hubs.

shaq, when is I9 going to produce a 28h AL spoke hub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Itís a good idea licensing Fanatik to handle some of the west coast biz. I didnít realize that I9 built custom wheels with other rims on the S-28h hubs.

shaq, when is I9 going to produce a 28h AL spoke hub?
    So we don't technically do custom builds to the s-series hubs. Might be able to work something out in the future....

I know some prototypes have been made and tested, however I can't speak as to when that would be remotely close to being ready for production. I don't think there's been a ton of requests for them yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Yes, they are just straight pull hubs that use sapim spokes. ...
    Iím only talking about relacing should you bust a rim .. i doubt they sell the hubs alone
    Thanks all, I think I have my answer. I'm not trying to buy hubs only or rebuild straight-away; just want to keep the hubs for a long time without being locked into the I9 system if I want to rebuild with something else.

Their conventional hub is another good option, but I like always liked the straight-pull concept and look.