Ibis S35 Rims/Wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Ibis S35 Rims/Wheels

Looks like new Ibis"S" Rims with Stans bead socket

https://www.ibiscycles.com/wheels/

Wēk Ss
    BST? I don't know if that's better or worse?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    BST? I don't know if that's better or worse?
    Was there a problem to begin with? I just picked up some 742s, but I don't ride hard enough to have issues.

mtbpete
    The main part of Stan's rims is a shorter sidewall, which is a benefit in terms of giving the tire more room to compress before the rim strikes a rock or root. Typically sidewalls have been very tall to prevent tires with week beads from blowing off the rim and the bead hook added security. So since tire beads have gotten stronger first went the bead hook and now goes the tall sidewall.

Stan's also has an oversize bead seat which I don't thing is particularly helpful. The larger bead seat causes the tire to fit the bead tighter and compress the rim more, which drops the spoke tension more. It's not clear from the add whether Ibis is using and oversize bead seat diameter. The images do imply that the sidewall is lower, but I don't see any dimensions to show that.

Ibis is also moving to a lower profile rim that allows more flex before cracking, which Stan's has done and Zipp also advertises with their new rims.

Ride On!
    Got a pair of the aluminum S35 Rims.. no complaints, mounted two tires practically with just my hands, probably could have just used an air pump to finish it off.

I really like the wheels and will be saving for the I9 Hydra Carbon version. I had the 742's with I9's. I really like the near zero degree engagement, noticing mainly during technical climbs where ratcheting is required, the Ibis hubs just don't feel the same. I am one of those people who really enjoy technical climbs as well as downhills and man the Ripmo is by far the best technical climber I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Got a pair of the aluminum S35 Rims.. no complaints, mounted two tires practically with just my hands, probably could have just used an air pump to finish it off.

I really like the wheels and will be saving for the I9 Hydra Carbon version. I had the 742's with I9's. I really like the near zero degree engagement, noticing mainly during technical climbs where ratcheting is required, the Ibis hubs just don't feel the same. I am one of those people who really enjoy technical climbs as well as downhills and man the Ripmo is by far the best technical climber I have ridden.
    Yeah, I have the original 938 aluminum rims and had issues so I picked up a set of the S35 aluminum. Very surprised at two things. First, the tire went out pretty easily, just by hand and and second, the weight. I went from a 2.35 NN to a 2.6 Hans Dampf on the new rims and the front wheel is substantially lighter. Now, a 2.6 HD is 970 grams and a 2.35 NN is 765 grams so the tires should make things worse. Honestly, these new aluminum IBIS rims are light.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.