mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I9 Torch hubs with Project 321 Magnetic Pawls?

Hello,
    Has anyone tried replacing the drive ring in their I9 Torch hubs so they can use a Project 321 magnetic pawl system?

According to an article at NSMB this is physically possible, but I'm wondering if anyone pulled the trigger and was already the guinea pig.

https://nsmb.com/articles/project-321-hubs-reviewed/

"One other feature of note with the drive system is that it is backward compatible to the past generation P321 G2 hub series. The old system engages fast but for a trials rider, poacher, or someone who prefers the sounds of nature over the whir of a loud hub that may appeal.

This begs a question. If the older generation Project 321 hubs used Industry Nine internals, and the new drive system is compatible with the older hubs, does that mean that I can put the 1.66į P321 guts into my Industry Nine Hub?

Project 321 hasn't tested for this configuration but it absolutely will physically work to install their drive ring and freehub into a Torch hub. They can't recommend it and do not extend a warranty on drive parts installed into another manufacturer's hub but the small parts are available separately."

Thanks and later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I actually thought of this right away when P321 came out with their magnetic panels.

I gave them and I9 a call and the consensus was that removing the drive ring would be pretty tough without their proprietary tool. But, I feel like I could figure that part out if I really went for it. I just never went for it because at that point P321 was having some issues with their first run of the magnetic pawl set-up and I was able to get my I9 hub almost dead silent with Dumonde Tech grease with zero issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's good to know about that Dumonde grease. Did it increase drag at all?

Is this the I9 tool you're talking about: TFH541

Any idea if you need a different tool for the P321 drive ring?

Your advice is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ride a newer Bronson with a DHF 2.5WT/DHR 2.4WT, so I doubt Iíd notice a difference in drag because of grease. The Dumonde Tech grease is actually pretty thin/slick and what was recommended by I9.

That probably is the tool thatís needed. At the time I was looking in to this they said the tool was not available for sale.

Like I said, once I tried the grease and got it almost silent I just forgot about trying to switch pawls. It was actually TOO quiet, but being dead silent made the bike Ďfeelí smoother. I wound up wiping a majority of the grease out and itís still very quiet, but there. A very minimal amount is needed to make a big difference in sound. I would recommend trying that out before the pawls.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I use the Dumonde Tech grease and remove 1 set of 3 paws. It's almost silent on the trail. The difference in engagement is almost nothing, but the sound and drag is about half.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I use the Dumonde Tech grease and remove 1 set of 3 paws. It's almost silent on the trail. The difference in engagement is almost nothing, but the sound and drag is about half.
    I like this idea for my endurance race bike where I don't care as much about the engagement and want SPEED.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post

Any idea if you need a different tool for the P321 drive ring?
    Are you asking about the install of the new drive ring? You won't need a tool, it's threaded in the direction the freehub engages so it just gets tighter when you pedal. (did that make sense?)

Yes, the current i9 and 321 drive rings require different tools. One has 72 teeth and the other has 60. Or something like that.

I was one of the lucky folks that got the bad batch of pawls from P321. They sent me a new drive ring, pawls, and the tool to remove the drive ring. After I swapped in the new parts I had to send the tool back.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    I ride a newer Bronson with a DHF 2.5WT/DHR 2.4WT, so I doubt Iíd notice a difference in drag because of grease. The Dumonde Tech grease is actually pretty thin/slick and what was recommended by I9.

That probably is the tool thatís needed. At the time I was looking in to this they said the tool was not available for sale.

Like I said, once I tried the grease and got it almost silent I just forgot about trying to switch pawls. It was actually TOO quiet, but being dead silent made the bike Ďfeelí smoother. I wound up wiping a majority of the grease out and itís still very quiet, but there. A very minimal amount is needed to make a big difference in sound. I would recommend trying that out before the pawls.
    I'd love to know how you got them that quiet, I put the grease in the hub and the noise level remained the same. Do I need to put more in or did you mix it with something (e.g. oil)?

Magically Delicious
    Why are some buying I-9's and wanting to quieten them?

Why not just buy a quieter hub?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X