mtbr member
    May 2017

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement

Beginner bike mechanic here.
    I'm getting ready to service the free hub, and in the process of accumulating the necessary tools / replacement parts to service my I9 CL rear hub / free hub. Ive been combing through the I9 store and tech page, https://industrynine.com/pdf-libary .
    The Center Lock specific blow up , https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...26+Rear+CL.PDF
    , doesnt show the drive side hub bearing or the inner free hub bearing. And they dont quite line up with the store's bearing kit, i9 Centerlock Rear Hub Bearing Assembly w/ Freehub Bearings .
    Has anyone been down this road and know exactly what bearings are required? I have not pulled my bike apart yet, just setting up for the job as best I can. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Thanks MF, I did read through that, lots of great info. I was surprised to see they hammer the bearings in as opposed to using a press.
    The hub they are servicing is not a center lock and the hub non drive side bearing is different from the bearing set in the I9 store, and neither looks like the pdf in the I9 library.
    Just trying to clarify

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    Thanks MF, I did read through that, lots of great info. I was surprised to see they hammer the bearings in as opposed to using a press.
    The hub they are servicing is not a center lock and the hub non drive side bearing is different from the bearing set in the I9 store, and neither looks like the pdf in the I9 library.
    Just trying to clarify
    We definitely don't hammer our bearings in at the factory! Those just illustrate that you can as a shop mechanic, gently use a hammer if you don't have an arbor press . The freehub body is the same regardless of brake interface. The centerlock rear hubs use 61903 bearings on both ends of the shell. Freehubs use a 61803 on the outside and a 3803 double row on the other. Centerlock front hubs use 18307 bearings. Bearing removal is identical for all torch hubs.

Magically Delicious
    Are you just wanting to replace the bearings or service them?

Servicing I-9 hubs and bearings are easy and less expensive than replacement. The freehub requires no tools to remove, other than the chain whip to remove the cassette. Servicing the I-9 freehub is wonderfully easy with no disassembly of freehub components required.

Why are you wanting to replace the bearings as opposed to servicing them?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the replies shak and C2L.
    Shak thanks for clearing that up.
    C2L, I plan on juts servicing , not replacing bearings. I'd just like to have all the correct tools and parts on hand when I dive into it just in case ! For example ,I read that I should replace the or rings on the end caps because they are hard to remove.
    Ive watched to vids, do you'all have any tips on the servicing?
    Thanks again

Magically Delicious
    The end cap "O" rings are very thin and easily lost or misplaced. However, if you're aware of them, then you should have no issues. Make sure that you lube them prior to reinstalling them. I still have my original end cap "O" rings. I should prolly order a spare set.

Make sure they are in the end cap groove before installing, because they can be easily overlooked.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_160422.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_160356.jpg

Some of the end caps also have an outside or external "O" ring. This is what can make them a bit challenging to remove.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_161842.jpg

Magically Delicious
    After you have removed the end cap, you can just pull the freehub off of the hub. Exercise caution when removing because some have reported a Pawl and Spring popping out, but I have never experienced this. The Pawl Springs are very small and easily lost.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_160608.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_160938.jpg

Carefully clean the hub and ring gear area. What you choose to lube your freehub with can be a personal choice.
    I use Dumonde Tech Freehub oil on the Pawl pivot points and depending on the season, I will use either the oil or Dumonde Tech Freehub grease on the ring gear.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_161034.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_161508.jpg

After you have reassembled the freehub onto the hub, make sure to add some grease to the end caps on the mating circumference (Teflon seal) and where they will contact the bearing seal area. This is your first line of defense to seal from contaminates and water finding they way into the bearing.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_162105.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170122_162136.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    2Land,
    do you remove the pawls/springs clean and relube? Or just ad lube?
    WHich season for which grease?
    Thanks for the great pics n stuff !!

Magically Delicious
    These are photos of a front hub bearing service, but the bearing service itself, will be fundamentally the same for rear hub and freehub.

Remove the end cap (this may take some ingenuity). I have an axle attachment jaws on my vice to grab the end cap, but there are a multitude of methods to remove them. Some wrap the end cap in a rag and remove the cap with a pair of pliers. Find something that works for you that won't srcatch the end cap. The first time off, they can be stubborn.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_161349.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_161533-1-i.jpg

I have a dental tool that is a thin spoon-like device that slides right under the bearing seal and safely removes the fragile seal. My next favorite tool for this is not a pick, like many prefer, but an Exacto knife. It's thin and can slip in without any seal damage if you pay attention to what you are doing. Be careful with removing the seal to not damage.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_161928-i.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_161956.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_162012.jpg

I service my bearings with some regularity, so I don't always have to clean the bearings before adding fresh grease. However, if you need to clean them, do so in a manner that works for you. I sometimes will clean with a blast of WD-40 as a solvent followed by a blast from my compressor and an air nozzle to evacuate residual solvent (WD-40) before adding an appropriate grease. This is a little more grease than I normally prefer to add for a full rotational bearing. Too much grease will over better protection, but at the cost of increased rotaional friction.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_183026.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170318_183845.jpg

Make sure to grease your end caps to make removal easier next time and to protect bearings from contaminates and water. You need to repeat the procedure on the brake disk side. Depending on the brake rotors you have, you might or might not have to remove the rotor to remove the end cap. On these, I do not have to remove.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170413_173429.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170713_204034.jpg

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170713_204620.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170713_204759.jpg

Apply grease and carefully re-install bearing seal and end caps.

I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170713_204912.jpg I9 Torch Center Lock Rear Hub / Free Hub service / bearing replacement-20170713_205024.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    All very nice ! Thank you !

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    2Land,
    do you remove the pawls/springs clean and relube? Or just ad lube?
    WHich season for which grease?
    Thanks for the great pics n stuff !!
    No, I normally do not remove the Pawls or Springs. It's usually not necessary, but I have done so on several occasions, but not normally.

I do wipe the freehub and attached pieces clean and work the freehub oil into the Pawl pivot points.

Summer for grease, but your application and outcome might be different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    No, I normally do not remove the Pawls or Springs. It's usually not necessary, but I have done so on several occasions, but not normally.

I do wipe the freehub and attached pieces clean and work the freehub oil into the Pawl pivot points.

Summer for grease, but your application and outcome might be different.
    Fantastic contribution on this thread, thanks to Cleared2land
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    If you are interested in servicing an i9 torch hub, C2L's explanation is fantastic!