HUNT mtb wheels, any experiences?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

HUNT mtb wheels, any experiences?

i just placed an order for them, my bitex hub on my asym i29s is starting to go bad, wheels look good on paper and have gotten some rave reviews from some UK sites, wondering if anyone has tried them out?

Having a nice day!
    I'll be interested to see responses. Their ads having been hitting my social media sites a lot lately.

mtbr member
    80 poe hub on a less than $500 wheelset sketches me out. They might be alright, but im sure they're not amazing.

It sounds like a pretty lateral move from what you have now. Bitex hubs are very easy to work on, if you wanted to go that route you could fix them for cheap and keep riding.

I had fun playing with off brand stuff, but I'm done. Someone is rebranding those components, so surely they're VERY cheap asian imports. If its going to be like that, id sooner just buy the parts myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    80 poe hub on a less than $500 wheelset sketches me out. They might be alright, but im sure they're not amazing.
    The hubs are slightly modified and rebranded Novatecs, if that helps put you at ease.

I have a set of the Trail Wide wheels in boost 29er size going on my new build. Haven't had a chance to ride them yet. They seem nicely finished and well built though.

mtbr member
    They're the new high end novatecs? That's not bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm not sure that they're Novatec Factor hubs but they apparently aren't just catalog-picked off the shelf items either. A rep from Hunt responded in the comments in this review with some details: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/08...buy-under-400/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hunt Enduro Wide... any real life experience out there?? Been about a year since all the bike websites spruiked them....but that's always before the public get their hands on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by northvanguy View Post
    Hunt Enduro Wide... any real life experience out there?? Been about a year since all the bike websites spruiked them....but that's always before the public get their hands on them.
    I'll go with uptake on this forum is minimal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Read somewhere that they run EZO bearings on their hubs, same as Project 321, and way way higher quality than Enduro bearings.
    Interested in hearing how their rims hold up.

Gigantic Hawk
    Bump for updates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My Trail Wide wheels seem fine, just fine. Then again, I'm not particularly heavy, don't ride particularly hard, and I'm not well versed in the nuanced ride characteristics of different wheels, so take that with a grain of salt. Nothing's exploded yet, or out of true, but only time will tell.

The only qualm I have is that the eThirteen TRS tires I have don't stay seated when I let the air out to add sealant, etc.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jch3n View Post
    The only qualm I have is that the eThirteen TRS tires I have don't stay seated when I let the air out to add sealant, etc.

I thought we got past this ~10 years ago.

Sketchy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I thought we got past this ~10 years ago.

Sketchy.
    I'm pretty new to mountain biking and tubeless in general. Is this a bit of an anomaly relative to other modern rims?

I wasn't sure if it was the tire, or the rim profile, or this particular combination, but my expectation definitely was that the bead would stay seated. It's annoying that it doesn't, but I don't ride hard enough to have had burping problems.

Rim profile photo from Hunt's website:
    HUNT mtb wheels, any experiences?-trailwide-rim-profile_f0c3d475-9726-47ac-87ee-8912c2962f78_1024x1024.jpg

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jch3n View Post
    I'm pretty new to mountain biking and tubeless in general. Is this a bit of an anomaly relative to other modern rims?

I wasn't sure if it was the tire, or the rim profile, or this particular combination, but my expectation definitely was that the bead would stay seated. It's annoying that it doesn't, but I don't ride hard enough to have had burping problems.

Rim profile photo from Hunt's website:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TrailWide-Rim-Profile_f0c3d475-9726-47ac-87ee-8912c2962f78_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	1255899

10 years ago it was common. Tubeless was still new enough that this was neither rare nor surprising.

These days it's rare and IMO unacceptable. A slowly leaking tire could put you on your face with a setup like that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Bump for updates.
    Got my trail wides in. They were shipped and arrived really fast to texas. So far I love them compared to my dt swiss 1900 which came stock on my sb130. I'm digging the wheels they feel like they spin forever and very smooth
    Super easy to set up tubeless dhf front and aggressor both with floor pump

They aren't as loud as I expected but maybe due to grease

Either way I wanted them for engagement not sound

They make the sb130 come alive to be honest or maybe it's all in my head

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I put a set of Trail Wide's on my Sight a few months ago. They arrived at advertised weight, which was nearly 900gr lighter than the factory wheels. The lighter wheels really transformed the bike, as you might imagine. Everything was easier to do; climbing, turning, handling at all speeds. I put DHR and DHF exo tires on and they were very easy to install tubeless and have help up very well.

I weigh 250 geared up and I am a rider who avoids big drops and jumps where I can but will hit them when necessary. I do some trail races and am usually in the faster half of the pack so they do get some fairly rough use. I haven't had to true the wheels, no loose spokes yet. The freehub is annoyingly loud and that is the only complaint I have so far. I'm pretty happy with them. They cost less than 1/2 what a decent set of carbons would have and the weight is very comparable.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.