hubs with steel freehub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

hubs with steel freehub

i have a couple azonic outlaw wheelsets, they have steel freehubs (2005 and 2010 models) ...so do the inexpensive shimano 756a hubs...i'm looking for other rear hubs that have steel freehub rather than aluminum...i've built a bunch of wheel recently and have gotten the hang of it...i just want to keep using cheap steel cassettes from shimano etc...are there any other options out there? thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    I know that you can readily get them for Hope and Stan"s hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    All shimano hubs are steel, except xtr which is titanium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Chris King hubs have a Stainless Steel option, or upgrade. Standard issue is aluminum.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hope
    White Industries
    Chris King
    Shimano

mtbr member
    That's my only ***** with my I9 hub is the aluminum freehub body.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    A cassette with a spider cog carrier and an aluminum freehub reduces weight, important for racing, but requires maintaining lock ring tension. A steel freehub and a pinned cog cassette is a heavier, and less costly solution. A cassette with a spider cog carrier and a steel freehub is the most durable combination.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    That's my only ***** with my I9 hub is the aluminum freehub body.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    A carrier cassette on a alu freehub will last an incredible long time. I run a loose cog cassette on my road bike with an alu freehub. Going on my 3rd chain and its hardly gouged.

mtbr member
    I had a revelation regarding the use of free cog cassettes on aluminum frehubs a few months back. Used to be, free cog cassettes came with three steel bolts ("pins"). I've a few left over from the 90's in an old box that I opened up to check. Now, both the SRAM and Shimano cassettes, at least the 9sp versions, have a single bolt, with the spacers having tabs that sit in the holes where the bolts used to be.

The revelation came when I had trouble getting the cassette off my brand new saint hub. Seems Shimano felt everone would use spidered cassettes with this hub, because there is a gap at the flange side of the freehub, so the largest cog only has half it's width engaging with the hub.

The single bolt bent as the cog ate into the hub. I can imagine, if the cassette had three bolts like they had originally intended, and maybe even steel spacers like the days of old, this would not have occured.

A more important reveleation, however: People think a whole hell of a lot about their hubs, and spend a lot of money on them to save weight, but throw cheap, heavy, loose cog cassettes on them. What the hell?
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Novatec hubs have a steel freehub option. They are about the least crappy option amongst the asian made hubs. They also do an alu freehub with steel "anti-bit guard" plates to minimise the gouging issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah, i bought a new xt 785 hub with the new design aluminum axle...well that part is great, but the freehub on this thing became problematic within 300 miles...i only just took the wheel apart to warranty that pos...apparently this new generation from shimano has freehub issue found by many others...so i have to cross this off the list of a <$100 rear hub option
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

J:
    Second the spider/ carrier, the more on there the better, even steel will gouge. Hadley hubs have been a great investment

*edit* freehubs up to 9 / 10 speed and also SS
    Last edited by Deerhill; 05-23-2015 at 06:52 PM.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    That will not fit star ratchet hubs, no 240, 340, 350 hubs. Different design.

Steel Freehub
    -All Shimano except XTR
    -SRAM hubs except XO
    -White Industries come stock with steel (Ti upgrade, no alloy available)
    -Phil Wood
    -Hope, King, Stans all have an option to upgrade or buy a steel freehub body
    -American Classic and Novatec have alloy with an anti-bite steel insert(s). My experience with a WTB hub (re-branded AC) is this works pretty well but you will still get a little bite into the alloy.

The ONLY disadvantage is weight, otherwise steel freehub bodies are better. And the weight is in an area you will not really feel. There are better places to lose 100g on a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigflamingtaco View Post
    A more important reveleation, however: People think a whole hell of a lot about their hubs, and spend a lot of money on them to save weight, but throw cheap, heavy, loose cog cassettes on them. What the hell?
    I can think of one reason to do it. If a person often rides in wet/muddy conditions the crud will wear out cassettes at a pretty alarming rate. Buying a new XT level cassette every couple months gets expensive real fast, in which case it makes perfect sense to just throw a cheap heavy cassette on there and treat it as a disposable item.

This is actually something I do with my 8 speed drivetrains since they don't make high end cassettes anymore and I only have a limited stockpile of them. I'll run the nice light XT ones during the summer when conditions are dry and wear is minimal, but in the spring & fall when conditions are often messy I'll run the cheap SRAM 830 or 850 cassettes since I don't care if they wear out, plus I can always get more of them when needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hadley's are stainless steel or Ti upgrade. The best hubs,especially for single speed!
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what is the entry level price on haley? anyway, maybe i'll just buy another set of azonic outlaw ($319 for two entire wheels) to keep in storage...i guess i missed the memo where all hubs and wheel will henceforth be equipped with aluminum freehub based on the new process technology invented in taiwan