Hub replacement questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile Hub replacement questions

I have a hardtail 26er that is either going to be used as a spare to get my buddies interested or I may sell it as I have a carbon 29er now. Problem is, the hubs (atleast the front) is WASTED. I took them apart last season when I noticed it felt as if I had a dragging brake and found that the race and even the bearings themselves were scored.

That being said, I don't want to invest allot of money into this bike, but can't bring myself to be too cheap, and thought about putting Shimano XT hubs on it. This would also sweeten up the package if I find an interested buyer.

How much can I expect to pay for labor for the swap? The wheels, to my knowledge, are true. Is spoke replacement mandatory? Its a 32h hub....also is the "free hub" for the rear an added cost or would it come with a new XT hub?

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    you will most likely need to replace the spokes due to different flange diameters and spacing.

An experienced wheel builder can tell you whether it's worth the time of saving the old rims, and more often than not it isn't. Just because the wheel is straight side to side doesn't mean that you have even spoke tension and a wheel that will last.

Life Is Short
    yes I agree. pricepoint, universal cycles and other etailers have good packages on wheel sets or a front wheel. The local guys around here charge 80 to string up a hub and rim and you have to supply the rim and hub, they will not put old spokes and nipples on a build. good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I agree also. Let's do the math, average cost for the components, XT Front hub = $40, Spokes (straight gauge) .99 ea x 32 = $32 (rounded up), and labor = $80. Your total = $152. Then add in an additional $20 for the rear hub and the labor spokes, etc. (based on Shimano M756 hub) and you end up looking at $324 + or -.

At some place like BWW you can get a wheel set for less than that, Mountain - Cross Country - Pure XM / Shimano XT wheel set - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse . And they have cheaper sets available as well.

I'd say just do a new wheel set. You'll save money in the long run and the wheels will be new.

Your call though.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    I agree also. Let's do the math, average cost for the components, XT Front hub = $40, Spokes (straight gauge) .99 ea x 32 = $32 (rounded up), and labor = $80. Your total = $152. Then add in an additional $20 for the rear hub and the labor spokes, etc. (based on Shimano M756 hub) and you end up looking at $324 + or -.

At some place like BWW you can get a wheel set for less than that, Mountain - Cross Country - Pure XM / Shimano XT wheel set - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse . And they have cheaper sets available as well.

I'd say just do a new wheel set. You'll save money in the long run and the wheels will be new.

Your call though.

Good Dirt
    Even cheaper and still handbuilt with XT hubs and DT spokes
    Mountain - Clearance - Sun DS1-XC XT Disc - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post

Your call though.

Good Dirt
    Or you could get a good slx level front hub for about $30 and lace it yourself. There are some excellent guides on this forum and it is fairly easy... That would be significantly cheaper! Based on your description of the races being shot my guess is the front is a shimano already. Most of the front hubs are close in dimensions so it is likely you can use the same spokes; and that is easy to check.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The hub was a formula off a 11 giant revel. I see your points here. For $300 I can nearly get black flag experts. Didn't want to go that deep but I suppose I gotta do something. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    aren't those cartridge bearing hubs? If so... just replace the bearings! no need to do anything else...

Members who have read this thread: 0