mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Hub replacement dilemma

Hi there,
    My rear hub in my 2014 Giant Trance 3 is going bad. I still can ride. but there's play, races are pitted and the whole thing can't be tightened stiff. Ideally I'd like to buy a new wheel, but I can't spent $350 just yet, so I decided to buy a hub that is being praised and widely used in the MTB community. It's HOPE Pro 4 12x142 Shimano 10/11. Currently I have 10 spd cassette, which still has some life in it, so I thought I can use a spacer and just slap an old cassette on the new hub, lace it to the old rim and be done and riding until I can buy new rim. There's a possibility of going with a 11 spd cassette or and expansion from Woolfstooth, but that will trigger spending money on the new shifter and the rear mech, besided I'm not convinced if I need 11 spd.

Now, does it make sense to lace a new hub to an old (original) rim, or should I wait until I get the rim? I have Stans Arch MK3 in mind, Flow is too wide. The front wheel will stay unchanged. Current rim internal width is 19mm.

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions.

Peter

Barely in control
    Giant's site is showing this for the hubs: "Giant Sport Tracker, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 135x5mm system integrated QR"

If yours is 142 that's good though. I'd get a refund for the Hope hub and pick up a set of lightly used 27.5 wheels from one of these guys swapping to 29er. 142/100 27.5 is going the way of the 26er. For instance, the DT X1700 or M1700 is on dt 350 hubs and I've seen them go mint for $250 a set. Just one example. There are some good deals in 27.5 wheels right now. If you do a build yourself on those Stans rims you'll be closer to $500.

mtbr member
    If the rim is in good shape it's ok to relace it but keep in mind you'll need new spokes and when you do change your rim you'll need to get new spokes again, unless the erd's are the same which is unlikely.

So it may not be the most economically sound choice.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    If the rim is in good shape it's ok to relace it but keep in mind you'll need new spokes and when you do change your rim you'll need to get new spokes again, unless the erd's are the same which is unlikely.

So it may not be the most economically sound choice.
    Thanks @J.B.Weld. It really makes sense to put the wheel together once. Can't wait to do this.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Used is the way to go, especially now with boost and everything. High end non boost stuff is dirt cheap.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    M1700 is on dt 350 hubs and I've seen them go mint for $250 a set.
    oooooo, where??
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, exactly. Used DT Swiss m1700 with 250 or 350 hubs go for around $500. Those are just good wheels no one is selling for cheap.

I like M1700 series with their 25mm internal width, but they are the same price point as Stans with Hope Pro 4 hubs.