hub info: giant 'tracker sport'- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

hub info: giant 'tracker sport'

hello folks

i have a question about giant's 'tracker sport' hubs.

i would like to know if the hubs are of the cup-and-cone/ loose bearing type or the sealed cartridge type.

can any giant owners help me here?

mtbr member
    Usually offbrand/house brand hubs are cartridge bearing unless they're on very low end bikes. The non-shimano loose ball hubs tend to be veeery low quality. The few giant hubs ive had or seen have all been sealed.

Sorry, not a definite answer, but id strongly bet they're cartridge hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On my 2012 Talon 0 they are cone with loose bearings. Glad I checked because the roll like doodoo right now and need some attention......though I will have new wheels before spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Usually offbrand/house brand hubs are cartridge bearing unless they're on very low end bikes. The non-shimano loose ball hubs tend to be veeery low quality. The few giant hubs ive had or seen have all been sealed.

Sorry, not a definite answer, but id strongly bet they're cartridge hubs.
    8 years of wrenching actually resulted in the exact opposite results. Most low end house brand hubs (on sub $1K bikes) were cheap cup and cone models. Usually made by Formula, Quando, or Joytech.

mtbr member
    I think you kind of agreed with what I said? The low end house brand stuff is usually loose ball. If its not a low end bike and it still has house brand hubs, they seem to be cartridge. Giant uses "giant" hubs on bikes around $3000-5000. Their trackers for 2013 are listed as sealed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think you kind of agreed with what I said? The low end house brand stuff is usually loose ball. If its not a low end bike and it still has house brand hubs, they seem to be cartridge. Giant uses "giant" hubs on bikes around $3000-5000. Their trackers for 2013 are listed as sealed.
    Tracker Sport hubs are on lower priced Giant bikes such as the Talon models. Different hub than the sealed models you see on their more expensive models.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sealed means that it's sealed does not mean its cartridge, my XTC has sealed bearing they are loose balls and grease, giant brand is Formula hubs I called giant and asked. The sealed part is just the rubber cone cover stopping dirt and water from getting in and grease from getting out.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile

thanks for the participation chaps.

briefly, i'm a big fan of cartridge bearing hubs and so the chance of the 2012 talon '2' having them fitted as stock would have swung a purchase.

sadly, it turns out they're supplied with loose bearing hubs.

oh well, plan B then!

Members who have read this thread: 18