mtbr member
    Dec 2013

How puncture proof is Maxxis Hookworm?

Considering getting the 26 x 2.5 hook worm for my commuting to work on my MTB. Though I am not sure how much better this would be for asphalt road riding compared to the current knobby tires it came with

https://image.ibb.co/nkMr2w/IMG_20171202_162230.jpg

^ here is a pic of my bike, is it worth upgrading those tires to the hookworm or a road tire of some sort? would it make riding on pitch roads faster and easier etc?

Was thinking Hookworm cause they look big and badass and would probably be puncture proof and reliable. I heard they are very reliable and do not wear down

MTBR Member
    Run what ya brung IMO. The tires you are running have low profile knobs, so I'd stick with those until it's time to replace them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had good luck with the Kenda K-Rad for that sort of thing. It has some tread, less than your tires, and wears well. Nice round profile, corners predictably and enough tread that patches of sand and such aren't a problem.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by john5220 View Post

Was thinking Hookworm cause they look big and badass and would probably be puncture proof and reliable.
    Puncture proof? Nope, they're not.

I would run them tubeless with sealant.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    They are thick and tough. Grip is amazing. Side wall is stiff.

mtbr member
    No such thing as a "puncture proof" tire. Don't fool yourself.

I understand wanting a large-volume tire on your mtb rather than a weird-looking skinny tire, but why get something monsterous and heavy? There are plenty of 2.1-2.3 slick tires that are tough, fast rolling, and not so sluggish. You don't need a ton of extra "grip" for riding on the road. Unless you plan to sesh the local skatepark on your commuter bike every day too, that's silly.

Didn't you get that bike a few days ago? You said your commute is about one mile. Just go ride the damn thing!

mtbr member
    ^ True, but he's gonna need maps.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    I know this has nothing to do with the question about tires, but please get yourself a better bike lock. The one in the picture is incredibly easy to cut. I know from experience.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    The hookworm is very beefy, it is 1125 grams or tire. The opposite end of the spectrum would be the 26x1.5 Vittoria rubino pro slick. Personally I would highly recommend the schwalbe marathon supreme. It is tough, has a reliable vectran breaker and is very grippy.

Pos rep makes me sad
    From my commuting experience, I can tell you thickness is a huge factor that can save you from many potential punctures. All sorts of sharp things can get embedded in the tire, going through all those fancy anti-puncture belts, from goathead-type thorns to metal splinters. I ran Mr Tuffy liners under the Conti junk tires that came with the bike and the tube lasted as long as the tire, literally... the tube popped only because I wore through the tread, liner, and tube on a hot summer day. The tire liner had signs of things going through it too, but they just weren't long enough to get the tube; it was the added thickness, not the material's anti-puncture properties, that saved me from those flats. Knowing that, I give the Hookworm a solid recommendation.

I commute on a Vittoria Evolution, and it has a similar negative tread pattern design, and I can assure you it grips well; I took it on trail rides and had full confidence hanging with guys on proper mtb setups. Still going strong, though not puncture free. The first real puncture was when a shard of glass, shaped like a pyramid, got lodged into the tread. Had to use an automotive "strip of bacon" style plug for it.

In the end, I believe tubeless ready setups are the most trustworthy. A thick sturdy tubeless setup... xD
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ I have a set of the Vittoria Evolutions set up tubeless on a spare set of 29's. I'm very pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Somewhat old thread. Just threw my hookworms back on, probably have 1-2k miles on them, great tire. Had maybe 1 pinch flat I think that's it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    u know what I find amazing? those hook worms are so big they make 26 inch wheels look like 27.5

mtbr member
    That's a 29er haha. They are 2.5" actually, look small compared to the surly knards I had on it but roll fast and ride smooth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    wow didn't know they had hookworm for 29

mtbr member
    Yeah they do good on hardpack trail and are a good alternative to big apples which I had before although they are heavier.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Old thread but....

I've had my Hookworms for about one month. Have ridden nothing but street around my neighborhood on the weekends. Have maybe 300 miles on them. Rear is flat.

Looking to convert them to tubeless. Anyone do this already?

Magically Delicious
    Yes. Tubeless is preferred.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Yes. Tubeless is preferred.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a set on a single speed hard eddie that have over 4000 miles on them. Yes they are a little heavy but they are as close to bomb proof as a tire can get. Mine are 29x2.5. And in my opinion if ridden like motocross bike (a little weight biased towards the front tire they are sticky on the trail also. I keep looking for a reason to put my other tires on but the hookworms can flat out do it. Half of the miles are street and gravel, the other half on my local mtb trails. Maybe 3 flats knock on wood in that time frame, just running tubes.
    Last edited by timsmcm; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot