How to Patch an Inner Tube- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    How to Patch an Inner Tube

    Yes, they are still useful and easy to repair. I added a short How-To on my tire site.
    patch5_med.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  2. #2
    nnn
    nnn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    799
    That's perfect - I'll show the link to my friend who is still bewildered about patching his own tubes
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

  3. #3
    More Torque
    Reputation: Diesel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yes, they are still useful and easy to repair. I added a short How-To on my tire site.
    patch5_med.jpg
    Good reminder. I'm always amazed at how many folks don't take the time to patch their tubes. Saves $ and keeps waste out of the landfills.

    I've had good luck using a screen installation tool to roll over the patches and help them to stay down.

    -D
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    Great tip Shiggy...I have been have some trouble with patches staying put, which is frustrating...i will try the lever.

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog
    Great tip Shiggy...I have been have some trouble with patches staying put, which is frustrating...i will try the lever.
    Follow every step. They are all important for best results.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hikerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Follow every step. They are all important for best results.
    I would add a few steps.

    - Rub the patched tube in the dirt or with talc so that the patch won't stick to the inside of your tire.

    - If possible, wait for a day or two before using the patched tube. (This tip is from advice written by Jobst Brandt.)
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    I would add a few steps.

    - Rub the patched tube in the dirt or with talc so that the patch won't stick to the inside of your tire.

    - If possible, wait for a day or two before using the patched tube. (This tip is from advice written by Jobst Brandt.)
    I tend to leave the plastic on the top.

    I also with use the tube immediately, if possible. The pressure of tube against tire works as well or better than waiting a few days.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    33
    right-on, good info., im using maxxis ultra-lights, so this will be key info...
    thanks

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    238
    Shiggy - GREAT stuff! So many people ruin the world by touching the tube, the patch backing, or the glue. Now no one will have an excuse to mess up a patch ever again! The only problem is, it'll make selling tubes a little harder...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    267
    Shiggy, what do you think of self-adhesive patches, like the Slime branded ones? I've used a few to patch some tubes that I have lying around, but haven't put them back in a tire yet.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    Shiggy, what do you think of self-adhesive patches, like the Slime branded ones? I've used a few to patch some tubes that I have lying around, but haven't put them back in a tire yet.
    In my experience, those are only good for temp fixes.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  12. #12
    Ride, Sleep, Work
    Reputation: MichaelW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    379
    I know how to patch a tube.
    1. Run tubeless
    2. Get a new tube.

    Not meaning anything by this. I am joking

    I hope I remember the steps the next time I flat on the road.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    Shiggy, what do you think of self-adhesive patches, like the Slime branded ones? I've used a few to patch some tubes that I have lying around, but haven't put them back in a tire yet.
    At best, self adhesive patches are a temporary fix to get you home. Every one I have tried has failed later and was replaced with a real repair.

    If your patched tubes have been sitting around for more than a few weeks I would bet they will leak.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    I know how to patch a tube.
    1. Run tubeless
    2. Get a new tube.

    Not meaning anything by this. I am joking

    I hope I remember the steps the next time I flat on the road.
    On the road/trail you should carry a couple of spare tubes. Swap the tubes (after inspecting the tire for foreign objects) and repair the tube at home. Patching a tube on the trail is a last resort.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave

    - If possible, wait for a day or two before using the patched tube. (This tip is from advice written by Jobst Brandt.)

    Better advice would be to put the tube in the tire and inflate it right away.

    I've done 100's of patches this way without a single failure.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.