Poll: How much time to you spend on making/maintaining tubeless tires?

2x is underrated

How much time per year do you spend on making/maintaining tubeless tires?

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

since 4/10/2009
    I doubt anyone here spends any time making tubeless tires.

I spend negligible time over the course of a year with maintaining them. Less than with tubed tires.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I really don't spend a heck of a lot of time on it, and rarely have issues. Once I have them set up, they last until I need new tires (aside from periodically adding some sealant), at which point I may have to do a re-tape. Even that might take only 1/2 hour. One of my bikes has Bontrager rims and molded rim strips and they are basically bulletproof.
    Do the math.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    How long does it take to add Stan's?
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes, easier to deal with than tubes. 3-4 hours last year spent mostly replacing worn tires, but also 1 bad puncture that damaged a bead as well.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2 hours for 4 wheels and about 4000 miles.

Here's the rub: it's while doing other maintenance while having a beer. So even if it doesn't save time versus using a tube and getting flats, I get to choose when I do it and I don't have to do it trail side!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Not much, refill every now and then.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA

beater
    Set tires up when new (once or twice a year) and top off with air maybe monthly. Thatís it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are 4 bikes in our house that are tubeless. I spend so little time maintaining them I canít even attempt to quantify it for you.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    How long does it take to add Stan's?
    Hmmm...we may need a new survey for this.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Far less time than I spent replacing tubes. I remember the bad old days of tubes, where I went through two tubes and an entire patch kit on one ride. I spent more time maintaining my tubes on that one ride. . . . .
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Barely in control
    I mainly ride Vittoria G+ which are 100g heavier than the competition but have excellent tread life and bottom out protection. In 2.5 years of riding on them I have never flatted or damaged one.

mtbr member
    Delete. wrong quote.

Upcyclist
    Less time than it took to make this poll.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Maintenance is almost zero, adding a little sealant every few months adds a minute or so to just inflating a tire. Installation takes a few minutes longer than installing a tube but that gets paid back multiple times over due to lack of flats. I'd estimate that I spend about 1/4 the time on tire maintenance now compared to when I used tubes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    About the poll, why are all the + options for tubeless regular font and the -tubeless ones are in large bold print?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

I admit I'm lazy and just keep injecting sealant when it dries, but it should be occasionally cleaned out. Dried sealant adds weight to the tire and throws it out of balance when a puddle of it dries up or forms a Stanimal.

Always in the wrong gear
    I said 5-8 hours,

I spend *very little* time maintaining a tubeless setup.
    My front tire comes off for transport fairly frequently, so I just shake it once in a while. If it 'sloshes', I consider it good, and figure the rear is similar.
    If i don't hear the sealant sloshing, or if it's been more than 7-8 weeks since I did any sealant, I'll add 2 oz to each wheel.

If you want to consider the time for setup of new tires....I spend a fair amount of time on that, because I actually swap tires around more than some, for example- I currently have a burly XR4 on the front, but in a few weeks I'm doing the Prickly Pedal race and will go back to a lighter, faster XR2 for that weekend, then likely back to the XR4.

A new tire install or swap, including a "wipe down" and rim tape inspection takes 15-20 minutes. Adding sealant takes 4-5 minutes... I'd guess 6 hours per year is about right.

How much time would I spend on tires with tubes?
    A LOT. I'd be doing flat repair multiple times per ride in some places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much time per year do you spend on making/maintaining tubeless tires?-cactus-trail.jpg  

Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Before tubeless:
    -6 to 8 times / year trailside flat repair (thorns, pinch flats, chaffed tube, etc)
    -Endless cycle of ensuring I have spare tubes or patching until I can get new tubes.
    -Higher tire pressure, less traction, more vibration, more rolling resistance

Tubeless:
    -Take the time to set it up correctly with the best tires for your terrain (Do it right the first time).
    -Get on bike and RIDE. Not ONE flat in over a year.
    -Add sealant every 2-3 months (30 minutes)
    -Enjoy improved traction, less rolling resistance and smoother ride
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    I admit I'm lazy and just keep injecting sealant when it dries, but it should be occasionally cleaned out. Dried sealant adds weight to the tire and throws it out of balance when a puddle of it dries up or forms a Stanimal.

True, but that depends how often you wear out tires. I change mine about twice a year so they usually only get one refresh, maybe 2 before I put new ones on.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Zero extra time. In fact I saved time. Only one flat on a sharp rock that ripped the side out of the tire.
    Pull valve to let air out, swap tire, pop bead with compressor, add 2oz of stans threw core, install core, air up, done. Every 3 - 4 months add 2oz threw core. Takes 2 minutes at most.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    About the poll, why are all the + options for tubeless regular font and the -tubeless ones are in large bold print?

I have no idea why some of the font went to italics.

So 20 people are doing fairly well with tubeless and 2 still use tubes. 9/1. Using tubes is a rebel without a cause for sure.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Last year, it was zero minutes. I actually forgot to even put any Orange seal in my wheels.
    Between all three sets of wheels, I bet I have less than an hour, and thats from changing tires on two of the bikes.
    UNless you count using a pump. Then I have about 2 minutes before every or every other ride usually, between blowing the tires up to a random high pressure, and then setting them to 24/24, 25/25, or 18/18, depending on which bike it is.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Slightly scewed poll, depending upon if you read comments or not. I said 5-8 hours because I change 2 tires x 3 or 4 times per year between my 2 mountan bikes. Not much maintenance. I rarely flat on Vittoria All Mtn tires, maybe once every 250-300 rides? But my tires are always pretty new. I usually put new rubber on for Moab or Downieville trips. Had 2 flats on 2 Maxxis DHR II's, binned one, inside patched the other after sealant failed. I eat brown bag lunch every day so I can spend money on Mt Biking!

mtbr member
    The tubeless maintenance happens in the living room during TV time but the tubed maintenance was during ride time, in the cold and rain with someone waiting on me.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If tubeless saves me 15 minutes of getting eaten alive by mosquitoes while changing a tube, it's worth 8 hours in my climate controlled garage. But in reality it's like an hour a year

mtbr member
    I have 4 bikes with tubeless so the time goes up. Usually it requires very little maintenance. But the goo goes dry out so that needs to be topped up and the back tyre lasts about 10 months before the sidewall is porous and lets the goo out. If you leave the tyre past that porous stage your constantly installing goo and pumping up tyres.

2x is underrated
    OK I have a question: same tire, same wheel (rim), same psi, one tire is tubeless and one is tubed --- will the tubeless tire have noticeably (real, measurable) better traction at the same psi as the tubed tire? Or is it just a subjectively better feel with tubeless?

I've had exactly one tubeless tire, and yes the feel was better, but the overall performance /traction was not, and I had two serious problems with the tire that you probably don't want to hear a long rant about. I'm able to run the exact same psi with a tube and no flats with the same tire and rim. That makes me really wonder what the tubeless hype is all about. The back tire is a different story, I have to go a few psi higher, but the front can be identical between the two setups. FYI the tube has sealant as you probably guessed.

Just wondering what other experiences have been, or did everyone just jump on the tubeless bandwagon w/o testing both setups for traction and trail times. If there are real data out there showing modestly faster loop times with tubeless on the same tire/rim, then I will be convinced. But I'm wondering if it's just tires in general getting better and better, and since most tires are now tubeless, and most people ride tubeless, then presto, trail times go down a bit. You'd have to do a strict experiment to have the tube as the only variable.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    OK I have a question: same tire, same wheel (rim), same psi, one tire is tubeless and one is tubed --- will the tubeless tire have noticeably (real, measurable) better traction at the same psi as the tubed tire? Or is it just a subjectively better feel with tubeless?

I've had exactly one tubeless tire, and yes the feel was better, but the overall performance /traction was not, and I had two serious problems with the tire that you probably don't want to hear a long rant about. I'm able to run the exact same psi with a tube and no flats with the same tire and rim. That makes me really wonder what the tubeless hype is all about. The back tire is a different story, I have to go a few psi higher, but the front can be identical between the two setups. FYI the tube has sealant as you probably guessed.

Just wondering what other experiences have been, or did everyone just jump on the tubeless bandwagon w/o testing both setups for traction and trail times. If there are real data out there showing modestly faster loop times with tubeless on the same tire/rim, then I will be convinced. But I'm wondering if it's just tires in general getting better and better, and since most tires are now tubeless, and most people ride tubeless, then presto, trail times go down a bit. You'd have to do a strict experiment to have the tube as the only variable.
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ex-butyl-tubes.

Don't try this with a tube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj3Y3Yxv8M

If you live anywhere with thorns or sharp rocks, tubeless is a god send. Other than that tubeless has less rolling resistance, is more reliable, lighter, offers better traction and can be run at lower pressures.
    It is universal on high end bikes for a reason.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member

All else equal I haven't noticed any traction differences but I can safely run tubeless @ slightly lower pressures and even 1 psi can make a difference.

On the rare occasion when I have to use my spare tube I think I notice a slightly deader feeling but admittedly that could be 100% placebo.

Tubeless is a little lighter.

I don't really care about any of that though, for me those things are just bonuses. Tubeless has been one of the best upgrades I've experienced because I no longer think about flat tires, my bike is always ready to go. Way less maintenance overall. For me it was a revolutionary change and I'd never consider going back.

However, there are some who've tried it and found no benefit and are still happily using tubes, nothing wrong with that.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Goat head thorns are my issue. Novato CA and Forest Hill Loop. One Nobby Nic Tubeless tire I used had about 40 punctures in it by the end. Little weep holes of sealant from thorn holes. I used exactly ZERO tubes on that tire. Saved me 30-40 tube installs, depending upon how many thorns at once. That tire was used for 6 months. My shins were bloody after those rides.