How much can you round when buying spokes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How much can you round when buying spokes?

Buying the pieces and parts for some new wheels. I lace 'em and hand 'em off to the local wheelsmith for tension and truing. Anyhoo, I came up with spoke lengths of:

Front 252.7 left and 253.7 right
    Rear 253.7 left and 252.7 right

Could I just get a box of 254s and call it good or do I need to get 36 254s and 36 252s?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There are definitely others out there who are much smarter in this realm, but having just read up on this and built my first set of wheels, the recommendation is to stay within 1mm. Although it sounds menial, having as close to the correct lengths as possible definitely helps in keeping a consistent tension on the spokes. Depending on your rim, it minimizes the amount of spoke that may stick up through the nipple and potentially puncture a tube.

Anymore, most LBS and online stores sell by the spoke so getting the correct length is just as cheap as buying by the box. in your case, if you want to buy by the box, I would go with 253.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ideally, I would round up to 253 and 254. Realistically, spokes are largely sold in even or odd sizes.

As long as you have box-section rims (double walled), 254s would work fine. They would even work fine in single-wall rims; the builder would simply nip the exposed spoke after building and tensioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Ideally, I would round up to 253 and 254. Realistically, spokes are largely sold in even or odd sizes.
    The local shops only sell even sizes and a lot of the online sites mostly sell even sizes.

A wheelist
    +/-1mm. Most places sell just even length spokes. And that's ok.

transmitter~receiver
    Most spoke companies make and sell increments of 1mm. Cambria Bike is an online shop that sells 1mm increments and has some of the best prices around.
    The rounding rule of thumb might be a chicken-and-egg thing which conveniently allows any shop to cut inventory in half by using the rounding allowance.
    It's really best to get the closest to the spoke length you need. Buying boxes is generally no easier or cheaper than buying individual quantities of the lengths you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Members who have read this thread: 0