how long do your stans rim tapes last due to dismounting/remounting of tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how long do your stans rim tapes last due to dismounting/remounting of tires?

with just 1 layer of tape just enough to span the internal rim width of a stans rim, i usually end up re-taping after 3-4 dismounts of the tire. it seems that the tape sticks with the tire and comes off with it. this doesn't look normal to me in spite of having a very clean rim before taping and i'm pretty sure i always get the bubbles out and that the tape is stretched (really).
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I never changed my original Stan's tape(Flow rims) after many seasons & tires.

aka bOb
    You prolly do this already but if not, clean rims, scuff rims lightly, clean with alcohol (not the good stuff ) apply tape with a heat source like a hair dryer to help it conform, and press in. I've even put a tube in for a bit in fat rims just to really help press it down but really not needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I never changed my original Stan's tape(Flow rims) after many seasons & tires.
    me either, for any of the wheels I've done for my own use or friends/family. I am thinking of one set that is at least 5 years in service and has seen at least 5 rear tires and 2-3 fronts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You prolly do this already but if not, clean rims, scuff rims lightly, clean with alcohol (not the good stuff ) apply tape with a heat source like a hair dryer to help it conform, and press in. I've even put a tube in for a bit in fat rims just to really help press it down but really not needed.
    by alcohol do you refer to the off the shelf ones bought from the grocery store or drug store? ie IPA, rubbing alcohol
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depends mostly on how carefully the tape is installed, in my experience. If there are any spots where the tape pulls away from the tire bead, that's a good case for the tape to come up when you remove the tire.

Class Clown
    Isopropyl alcohol.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah really depends on how diligent you are about applying the tape.
    Normal procedure for me is to
    - wipe rim surface down with rubbing alcohol (other alcohol is nearby for alcohol support group)
    - apply tape starting 3 spoke holes from valve stem hole (overlapping hole)
    - stretch tape firmly and use tension to put into place with other thumb lightly pressing down
    - go all the way around rim adjusting as necessary
    - overlap valve stem hole by 3 spoke hole on opposite side
    - press end down firmly after cutting/ripping
    - then go around center channel with thumb and press down tape moving outwards to help press out any bubbles
    - then go back around with rubber grout tool to help press down tape in edge rim channels and again in center channel

This process is time consumptive but works very well. If the tape is wide enough for the inner rim width then I rarely have problems. Still have the original tape on my OG Flows from 5yrs ago when I started biking. And that is with multiple mounts/dismounts of varied tires and even old school GEAX tires which really don't like to play well with Stans rims.

transmitter~receiver
    It is affected by the tape application but also a bunch of other variable, so there is no hard and fast rule. IME a good tape application lasts a very long time... longer than a few tire changes.
    FWIW Stan's instructions have you put the overlap opposite the valve hole and that's how I've always done it. My experience is that layer separations can happen at the valve that allow sealant in cause leaks.
    It can works both ways I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

transmitter~receiver
    rubbing alcohol that you get at the grocery store or pharmacy is what is meant.
    the choice is percent alcohol (the balance being water). IIRC 70% and 90% are common options and I opt for the 90%.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    rubbing alcohol that you get at the grocery store or pharmacy is what is meant.
    the choice is percent alcohol (the balance being water). IIRC 70% and 90% are common options and I opt for the 90%.
    You are correct, think you have to go to a beauty supply place to get 100%.. I actually found that my local grocery store sells their brand in a small bottle with a spray head already attached. Thought that was pretty slick, so I grabbed two!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I currently have an E-13 TRS+ alloy wheelset. I tried to install Stan's tape & no matter how far I tried to apply the tape it wouldn't stick / hold. The finish is a rough ano. so I tried a few passes of scotchbrite - even roughened the tape wouldn't hold. I am now using E-13's tape which is definitely thinner than the Stan's. I have concluded different tape for different rims.

mtbr member

how long do your stans rim tapes last due to dismounting/remounting of tires?

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I currently have an E-13 TRS+ alloy wheelset. I tried to install Stan's tape & no matter how far I tried to apply the tape it wouldn't stick / hold. The finish is a rough ano. so I tried a few passes of scotchbrite - even roughened the tape wouldn't hold. I am now using E-13's tape which is definitely thinner than the Stan's. I have concluded different tape for different rims.
    Well, the local shops around don't have stans in stock so I got e13 28mm instead for a flow ex. this tape is so easy to apply and stretch compares to stans. you can reduce the 28mm to just cover the entire rim. just not sure how long it'll last.

yea it's thinner and the instructions say to wrap 2 layers with only around 30mm overlap on the valve hole.

the roll came as 8m so there's little room for error. but imo this tape is quite foolproof compared to stans

Last edited by spyghost; 07-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Class Clown
    i bought a gallon of 99% off ebay, has a myriad of uses. shout out to wtb for making tape that fits the rim perfectly!

Cactus Cuddler
    I'm 3/3 on killing rims before having to re-tape. I have 6 rims still rocking original gorilla tape applications, only having to retape one rim after initial user tape width failure.