How long do your rear tires last?- Mtbr.com

Poll: How long do your rear tires last?

In Transit
    Nov 2009

How long do your rear tires last?

Yes, there are so many variables, but how long do your rear mtb tires last until you feel that they are worn out and need replacement?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    About a year -a year and extra months if I want to push them to unreliable straight line traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My tires usually don't die of age - they are murdered with cuts on the side.

mtbr member
    Like you said, depends, but I typically get about 550 miles out of a rear tire. I typically run them until the small lines (sipes) on the center blocks are almost gone. I'd say about 50% of the tread block. FWIW, you can track components and miles on them on Strava via the website.

mtbr member
    Sidewalls are weak link where I ride but since going with Minion DHF's and EXO sidewalls I've gotten about 800 miles out of each of the last 2 rears. They are super toasted by then though.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What are you actually trying to learn?

Or are you simply curious?
    Do you feel like your tires are lasting too long? Too prematurely wearing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A pretty long time, but I ride like a wuss.

My maxxis tires have lasted much longer than my bontrager ones though. Currently in on a maxxis rear, bonty front to compensate!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I don't know how so many people get 1000+ miles out of their tires. The only time I got anywhere close to that range the tires were like riding on ice for months and should have been replaced long before. To me, anything near that range has lost a lot of performance and should have been 100's of miles before even if they look fine.

I think for me, I average around 250-300+ miles on a set of tires before replacing them as the performance has notably declined by then. The treads usually still look pretty decent but the performance is no longer there.

I am running a 3C dhr2 exo rear now though and the knobs look way more chewed up than the old dual compounds I run so it remains to be seen how long these tires will last. I run at very low pressures too so that probably shortens the lifespan considerably at least for the sidewalls but the tires need those low pressures to get the grip and cornering I want.

Edit: All tires I mentioned are maxxis, typically minions (dhf, dhr2), aggressor, and in the past ardent, HR2, and ardent race, which were the ones that I rode for far too long and they had no traction left. The ardent races eventually died after I charged through some sharp rocks with non-exo sidewalls, and even then, the tires only lost air overnight from the sidewall puncture so I finished my ride without even knowing a puncture was there (my sealant was old and dried so it didn't block the hole). Maxxis tires last for sure! But its worth it to replace them when the performance is gone which is for me always long before the tires visibly look like they need to be replaced.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    What are you actually trying to learn?

Or are you simply curious?
    Do you feel like your tires are lasting too long? Too prematurely wearing?
    I am simply curious about the longevity of modern tires when subjected to modern riding. For a variety of shameful reasons, I haven't worn one out in a long time but will by the end of this season or early next season and would like to be prepared. And I ride Schwalbes so i already know that they are wearing prematurely!

psycho cyclo addict
    Never < 1000 miles on mostly Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskin rear tires. I ride my bikes on all surfaces (dirt, path, road, rocks, trails and urban assaults w/ staircases, ...). Front tires last me ~3-4x as a long.

When my friends continually give me crap about how little tread is left on my rear tire... that's about when I decide to replace it
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    I don't know how so many people get 1000+ miles out of their tires. The only time I got anywhere close to that range the tires were like riding on ice for months and should have been replaced long before. To me, anything near that range has lost a lot of performance and should have been 100's of miles before even if they look fine.

I think for me, I average around 250-300+ miles on a set of tires before replacing them as the performance has notably declined by then. The treads usually still look pretty decent but the performance is no longer there.

I am running a 3C dhr2 exo rear now though and the knobs look way more chewed up than the old dual compounds I run so it remains to be seen how long these tires will last. I run at very low pressures too so that probably shortens the lifespan considerably at least for the sidewalls but the tires need those low pressures to get the grip and cornering I want.

Edit: All tires I mentioned are maxxis, typically minions (dhf, dhr2), aggressor, and in the past ardent, HR2, and ardent race, which were the ones that I rode for far too long and they had no traction left. The ardent races eventually died after I charged through some sharp rocks with non-exo sidewalls, and even then, the tires only lost air overnight from the sidewall puncture so I finished my ride without even knowing a puncture was there (my sealant was old and dried so it didn't block the hole). Maxxis tires last for sure! But its worth it to replace them when the performance is gone which is for me always long before the tires visibly look like they need to be replaced.
    There is plenty of truth to this, but tossing a tire after only a couple hundred miles isn't worth it if you're not a professional racer or something. The price of MTB tires can be almost as much as a car tire these days. I'll live with a little less traction as the tire degrades. I'm not out to win anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am that rare bird the touring clyedsdale. So I can get 2500 miles from a kevlar belted 1.5 inch wide tire. I have found the wider tires fail earlier by ripping at the bead. A non kevlar belted tire will last me 500 miles. Performance and Geax made a tire with chopped kevlar fibers in the rubber these also lasted 2500 miles. There is no reason you can't combine the two technologies to make a super strong tire.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    There is plenty of truth to this, but tossing a tire after only a couple hundred miles isn't worth it if you're not a professional racer or something. The price of MTB tires can be almost as much as a car tire these days. I'll live with a little less traction as the tire degrades. I'm not out to win anything.
    This is usually how it goes for me.

I've honestly not run tires until I felt they were completely worn out. There's always been some other reason that I've replaced them. Ripped off knobs, damaged sidewalls, needed different tread pattern for different conditions and the old ones just sat and dried out because they weren't used anymore, etc.

I will probably wear out my current rear, though (WTB Trail Boss). I've got about 325mi on it and it's got noticeable wear. Not a major degradation in performance in dry conditions yet, but going into fall with leaves and dampness, I might begin to feel differently about it. If that's the case, I might put on something that'll give better traction in those conditions until it dries out again next spring/summer.

slow
    I get a lot of miles out of them, but not sure how many. I just replace them when the rear end drifts too much or won't hook up on the climbs. That keeps it interesting.

How long do your rear tires last?-61689433_10219169237010732_4824499281417207808_o-1-.jpg

How long do your rear tires last?-20861648_10214006668949757_3775484749362209335_o.jpg

EDR
    Looks to me like where one rides is the biggest determining factor. I can't imagine anyone getting a thousand miles out of a rear tire in Phoenix. Crushed granite over hard pack over hard granite is the norm here. If you're fortunate enough to have not ripped the side knobs off at 500 miles then you're probably pushing the limit in regards to traction and climbing grip.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    I don't know how so many people get 1000+ miles out of their tires.
    That has been a big surprise to me too, as evidenced by my poll options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Looks to me like where one rides is the biggest determining factor. I can't imagine anyone getting a thousand miles out of a rear tire in Phoenix. Crushed granite over hard pack over hard granite is the norm here. If you're fortunate enough to have not ripped the side knobs off at 500 miles then you're probably pushing the limit in regards to traction and climbing grip.
    Truth. I get ~500 miles out of a rear here in Phx but have destroyed many a tire in less than that. Maxxis Exo+ casings holding up better, have a DHR II getting replaced tomorrow with ~700 miles and it's a bit overdue. Was trying to stretch it out but have plugs in sidewall and tread, knobs are shot too so it's time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I get a lot of miles out of them, but not sure how many. I just replace them when the rear end drifts too much or won't hook up on the climbs. That keeps it interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61689433_10219169237010732_4824499281417207808_o (1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	1287085
    Stumpjumper:
    I replaced my rear tire a few weeks ago, 17 months and about 1500 miles. It looks like this picture.

I ride hard pack/loose over hardpack. Sometimes chunky rock, but always some type of rock. Lot of steep hills, littered in loose rock.
    It only rains from October through March, no rain rest of the rear, never a rainy day in summer. or maybe 1 day but not enough to make dirt grippy and easier on the tire.

Last set was not quite as old and maybe less miles, but only but a little less. It seems like they had 1100 miles but I can't access that information now.
    I take it back -I am a nerd and had records. 1100 miles in 17-18 months.
    Both tires are Specialized Purgatory Grid's.

Chameleon
    I have almost 700 on the front tire, Maxxis Rekon on my hard tail, just changed the rear due to a pinch flat, but tire tread is fantastic for a hard tail and 700 miles....just unfortunate I put a hole in it.

I try not to destroy my equipment. I don't skid much. I put down good power when possible, not a lot of slipping when climbing. Blah blah. I beat up the trails from time to time, but when I am descending fast in the rocky stuff I do my best to not drag the rear in too much. I'm close to 2:1 ratio rear/front replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I thought about it today and how much traction your tires have to start with may play a huge role in when you throw them away. I always used 2.3 maxxis on my old bike and they sometimes had just enough grip but I typically wanted more, so any performance loss was significant to my riding.

Now my current bike has 2.4 DHR2s on it and I have more than enough traction I think, so maybe once my tires hit the several hundred mile mark they will still have enough traction for me and therefore I won't feel a need to replace them so soon. So, maybe now even though the 3C tire is wearing pretty quickly, it will still survive for a lot longer than my previous tires.

Only way to find out is for me to ride more!

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61689433_10219169237010732_4824499281417207808_o (1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	1287085
    That's a new way to make a semi-slick... I would have definitely got rid of that tire a long time ago if it was me. Probably okay for XC riding but that's gotta be slippery for all-mountain riding.

mtbr member
    Mine last about as long as a set of brake pads, if they don't get contaminated that is, then I inevitably try to cook them, which leads to me wondering why my rotors are glazing, then I throw the pads out and start over, get new rotors, to burnish contaminated pads into, toss Isopropyl over everything and burn it, the new tires, and melt cables. Or if they don't get so many flats that they are more trouble than worth fixing. Or if I don't like them and give them away.

Sometimes I forget to turn on my strava and don't get an accurate anything and my life goes to hell.

Wait, I don't have Strava.

One of those days, sorry.

mtbr member
    For me, I start ripping front tire knobs off before the tire is "worn out". Seems knobs are stable until around 250-300 miles or so. Then turning gets goofy.

On the rear, all knobs wear down evenly. By 200-250 or so, climbing and braking traction falls off noticeably.

WTB Trail Boss rear, WTB Vigilante front. Seems I've had about the same life expectancy from Maxxis and Kenda tires over the years if they didn't get destroyed first (punctures). A lot of guessing/estimating though.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Columbus, GA
    I just got a new bike, but on my old bike I have Schwalbe Hans Dampfs with 1278 miles still going strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Harder compound tires last me a very long time as a rear tire. The Aggressor for example, has lasted me over 600 miles in all kinds of conditions. Knobs still look okay. But rubber deteriorates riding that long and they wear even faster. And so does the casing itself. There's also less grip. Most tires I've run that long get punctured or slashed pretty easily after that point. For the front with softer tires, they last as long as my rears. But I gauge it by how worn the inside edge of the outer knobbies are. I've never torn off any knobs.

Much of the time, I'd get a slashed sidewall and would need to replace. Nowadays, I only run dual ply/double down/tough casing/etc and what have you for the rear. They last longer and provide significantly better slash protection.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    If I run identical tires, I would say that the one on the front lasts about 50-60% percent longer.
    I ride much uphill, I suppose if one rides mostly downhill the front one could last 100% longer, or even more. But Iím not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk