how to get consistent readings from Park Tool tensometer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

how to get consistent readings from Park Tool tensometer

I've noticed that the reading from my Park Tool tensometer can vary by as much as 2 depending on how quickly or slowly I release the handle. I've also noticed if after releasing if I give it a few taps with a pencil, causing the tool to vibrate, it seems to consistently settle on the same reading (for a given spoke). Is doing this something you would recommend?

mtbr member
    I try to go with consistency. Releasing in the same manner (slowly) and in the same area as the spoke (toward the middle). Also so the 2 grabbers engage the spoke at the same time/flush. I accept that the park tool is not the most accurate thing out there but with those things in mind and some patience is better than using no tension meter. Curious to others thoughts on it as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

turtles make me hot
    I lube mine with a little Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. Seems to help. I also check every spoke twice. Set the tool on the spoke, release it, grab it again. Takes a tiny bit longer but seems to work.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The tool should be horizontal to the ground and released slowly. Also it should be in the middle of the spoke. If nothing else I've found the Park tension meter to be very consistent, I could check the same spoke 10 times and get the same reading every time.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Seems to help. I also check every spoke twice.
    I'll do that as well if I don't like the reading. If I get a spoke that's out of whack I'll make sure it's not wound up and destress it checking it several times until I'm happy the reading is accurate.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I noticed some have friction where the indicator passes through main plate at the dial. I've carefully tweaked mine to eliminate this.

On another note, I brought mine to the LBS and compared it with 3 different mechanic's TM-1s on some different wheels/spokes and they were all within 1/2 division, which was somewhat surprising as they varied a lot in age and apparent use.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I sanded mine where the pointer slides. The blue coating was extremely rough. That, plus a drop of oil every few months, and it's very consistent now. Much much better than new.