How does 2.6 mild tread from 2.4 aggressive help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

How does 2.6 mild tread from 2.4 aggressive help?

I ended up replacing the front 2.4 DHR2 for a 2.6 Rekon. I switched the back 2.4 Rekon for a 2.6 Ikon. Lost all most a half pound while adding volume and reducing rolling resistance. I dont think I will have as much grip as I used to. What are your guys thoughts? Did I do right? Will this have even more traction now that I have 2.6. I will ride in a couple weeks. What difference should I expect, climbs, descents, and various terrain.

Thanx,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The 2.4 setup you had will grip better for aggressive riding. If you're railing corners at high speeds, you'll likely miss the cornering knobs of the DHR up front. That being said, I run a 2.6" Rekon up front with a 2.6" XR2 out back for my home (XC) Florida trails and swap to a more aggressive setup for mountain trips. It's all about the speeds and terrain you ride - we don't get crazy fast descents here, so the Rekon provides plenty of grip for me and rolls a lot faster.

mtbr member
    As Matt said, it all depends on where you ride, what you ride and how you ride. If for instance you're on a HT, then going to the 2.6" will make a nice improvement in comfort moreso than if you were on an FS. Also if as said you ride someplace with flatter or less fast terrain with maybe softer surfaces like sand, then it will help there, descending fast stuff, depending on the surface it might be better or worse. Climbing is another area you should experience some improvements in rolling speed, yet also traction, as the bigger footprint will get you just as much if not more traction than the narrower, slightly more aggressive tread.

So the reality of it is that you already bought and installed the tyres, give them a go and find out for yourself just how they change things. The one thing I would ask/say, is if you are on rims that are narrower than i30, you will not get the full benefit of the wider tyres and may not experience all the positives as much as if you were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I have a FS with 34i carbon rims. In MN we have descents but no mountains. We donít have sand. A lot of dirt, rocks, and roots. I ordered the new tires, but they have not arrived yet. I donít know if that changes your thoughts.

Scott