mtbr member
    Mar 2008

how critical is rim tape width?

hey all,
    im looking to purchase some new rim tape and need some recommendations. i have dt swiss xm481 rims with 30mm inner width.

https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-MTB/XM-481

do i have to buy rim tape that is exactly 30mm?

do i just get rim tape that will cover the channel?

what rim tape do you guys recommend?
    Last edited by useport80; 10-30-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added link
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    I use electrical tape... Go around twice for good measure and poke a wee hole where the tube valve goes.

Other fancier stuff isn't very durable i.e. when I got 2x wheel rebuilds, lbs put fancy rim tape on & within a month or two it was bunching and coming away from channel, exposing spoke holes!?

My $2 electrical tape does the exact same thing ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Along those same lines, gorilla clear tape works great. Just cut to width.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I use two wraps of duct tape. You can tear it to fit the channel pretty exactly. I've got the first wheels I ever build (1981) and the original tape is still in them.

RAKC
    Depends on tubes or tubeless.

With tubes these guys ways work fine.

Tubeless the only one that half a** works is the gorilla clear.

If going tubeless buy some kapton tape that's close to the inner width. 2 wraps, weighs less than any of these other options by far and probably the best rim tape for tubeless in existence right now.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Depends on tubes or tubeless.

With tubes these guys ways work fine.

Tubeless the only one that half a** works is the gorilla clear.

If going tubeless buy some kapton tape that's close to the inner width. 2 wraps, weighs less than any of these other options by far and probably the best rim tape for tubeless in existence right now.

What you talking about Willis!?

You using lead lined electrical tape?!

Regular is light as

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Best guess, 33 or 34mm.

Tape it right and the good stuff doesn't come off (I use Stan's or WTB). Gotta clean the rim with isopropyl alcohol first to get any oily residue off the rim. Then stretch the tape TIGHT being careful to avoid big air bubbles, then rub it down very well first in the center channel and then the flat outer part. I cut an X for the valve with a very sharp razor blade and done. Haven't had a failure yet on 7 rims and counting using this method.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Best guess, 33 or 34mm.

Tape it right and the good stuff doesn't come off (I use Stan's or WTB). Gotta clean the rim with isopropyl alcohol first to get any oily residue off the rim. Then stretch the tape TIGHT being careful to avoid big air bubbles, then rub it down very well first in the center channel and then the flat outer part. I cut an X for the valve with a very sharp razor blade and done. Haven't had a failure yet on 7 rims and counting using this method.
    is there rim tape 33-34mm wide? wont 33-34mm be too wide and ride up the sides impeding the tire bead from catching?

RAKC
    Electric tape isn't as heavy as the others but actually weighs a lot more than kapton tape. Take a roll of kapton tape vs a roll of electrical tape. Kapton tape You get 2-3x more length and the role weighs 1/4 as much vs electrical. I have plenty of both (well the entire list so far on this thread) and Stan's tape is buried somewhere, electrical stays reserved for the 100 other things it's good for (just not bike wheels).

Like I side, fine for tubed wheels, that's it.

Kapton tape is the only tape I like now. Holds up to regular and fat rims no problems. And other tapes can rack up weight fast on fat rims. And just so easy to install. Nothing left behind, unaffected by tire changes, no residue and cheap as hell. But my bikes are all tubeless. Only way I role off the pavement.

Also DO NOT get tape that's wider than your rim, unless your setting up non tubeless wheels for tubeless, your going to have to cut it down otherwise it will screw with the bead seat. Well unless it kapton tape. My fat bike I ran it full width, plenty thin enough that I had 0 issues with the bead sealing. Other tapes will create issues trying to get the bead to seal up correctly.

mtbr member
    Electric tape isn't as heavy as the others but actually weighs a lot more than kapton tape. Take a roll of kapton tape vs a roll of electrical tape. Kapton tape You get 2-3x more length and the role weighs 1/4 as much vs electrical. I have plenty of both (well the entire list so far on this thread) and Stan's tape is buried somewhere, electrical stays reserved for the 100 other things it's good for (just not bike wheels).
    Did I forget to mention it was only 2x around the rim?

Maybe 3gm weight...??

The money I saved in my wallet weighs more

PS - I don't ride with my wallet

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Also DO NOT get tape that's wider than your rim, unless your setting up non tubeless wheels for tubeless, ...
    Why exactly does WTB's website suggest doing this (use drop down to choose rim inner diameter and it suggests tape width)? And also please explain how it's worked every time for me. I'm not trying to be dense, but this seems to be contradictory to what they say and logic. If the inner surface were flat, the tape should be the exact width. The curve of the center channel makes the distance the tape should cover higher/wider. How much higher exactly should depend on both the width and depth of the curve.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I want the tape to be bead to bead when bedded in the channel.

Wanna ride bikes?
    i use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8XYVG7WVH3160T

i used gorilla tape on plus rims, it works pretty good but it's heavy by comparison and soaks up sealant.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nailed it. If you use proper rim tape and do it right, it lasts a very long time, which for me means installing a tyre with tube at max PSI for at least a few days to really help seat/adhere the tape. Also, if you're one of those who has to use a tyre lever to get your tyres off instead of just your hands, you'll most likely pry up the edges and cause the tape to start to come up.

WTB does 34mm wide rim tape which fits their 29mm inner width rims.

Best guess, 33 or 34mm.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    On a Gorilla taped wheel the other day I saw where the adhesive had oozed out and got on the bead of the tire so that when the tire was removed the tape stuck to it and came away from the rim necessitating a re-tape. Gorilla tape (thick black kind) left residue on the tire bead and also leaves adhesive on the rim which needs to be cleaned off with solvent. There are many better tapes out there, IMO. I haven't tried the clear Gorilla yet.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Best guess, 33 or 34mm.

Tape it right and the good stuff doesn't come off
    ^yep
    I brake for stinkbugs

Just a flesh wound
    I used the standard 25mm Stan's tape on my LB 38/32mm rims. I have tubeless tires and they mounted up beautifully. The tape really just needs to cover the spoke holes plus a bit. I would have a heck of a time mounting the tires if the tape was up on the bead shelf. Maybe impossible to remove without mangling the tape?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Tape on the WTB Asyms is designed to run right up over the beard seat to the edge of the rim wall and I have had ZERO issues with my i29s and removing tyres fairly regularly, just need how to remove them properly is all and have laid down the tape properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I used the standard 25mm Stan's tape on my LB 38/32mm rims. I have tubeless tires and they mounted up beautifully. The tape really just needs to cover the spoke holes plus a bit. I would have a heck of a time mounting the tires if the tape was up on the bead shelf. Maybe impossible to remove without mangling the tape?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow lots of recommendations.

looking at the stan's website, they recommend 30mm rim tape for their flow mk3 rim, which is 29mm internal width. Stan's Rim Tape 10yd x 30mm

guess i found my answer on the width. on the dtswiss site, they recommend 32mm rim tape for my xm481 30mm rims. and it looks like they add 2mm to the internal width to get the width of the tape. https://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Su...lution-MTB.pdf

any thoughts on the rim tapes that are cloth-like ie the pedros or velox?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    No cloth tape if you're going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    No cloth tape if you're going tubeless.
    ah ok ty. i see all these good reviews for cloth tape but didn't know if it would work for tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    any thoughts on the rim tapes that are cloth-like ie the pedros or velox?
    It's permeable, no problem if using tubes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgemagnet View Post
    I like latex tubes, me, but they're very fussy about the rim tape. Cloth tape will bulge down into the nipple wells and stretch the tube too thin in this area, popping it if it stretches too far or the tape ruptures (I've had this happen). Stiff plastic tape won't bulge down but can stretch the tube too thin along the edges with the potential for blowouts (I've also had this happen). At the moment I'm running some high pressure Continental Easy Rim Tape with black Gorilla tape over the top of that, and though it's working well I'm open to a more elegant solution.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Kapton tape. I use this for electronic engineering stuff as it's an incredible electrical insulator, is extremely tough and stretch-resistant, and is very thin. It's also a lovely golden colour. Expensive though.

I'm about to buy some clear Gorilla tape for sealing bubble-wrap insulation on my greenhouse over the winter (how I envy those whose cactuses grow happily in the wild); might do Kapton on one wheel and clear Gorilla on the other and see how they compare.
    Kapton on Amazon looks very cheap, especially for how much you get for the money. I think it was like 30 yards for under ten dollars.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    i use this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8XYVG7WVH3160T

i used gorilla tape on plus rims, it works pretty good but it's heavy by comparison and soaks up sealant.
    8896 is ok but 8898 has more adhesive for a stronger bond.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think WTB recommends rim tape 5 mm wider than the inner rim width, because if you choose more narrower rim tape, the liquid sealant in the tire will glue off the tape from the rim in time. If the tape covers the whole rim bead, then the sealant can not access the edge of the rim tape, because the tire edge prevents it. However the sealant can access the inner edge of the tape, where it ends and glues it off there. It looks there is no complete solution to this issue, but I think this is the idea behind the recommendation on WTB site to have 5 mm wider rim tape, than the inner rim width.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Bead to bead rim tape and you're not relying on glue strength and integrity to maintain the seal.