How bad is this LBS wheel rebuild?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

How bad is this LBS wheel rebuild?

Hey all,

I ruined some spokes on my 29er to the point where it needed a full rebuild.

The wheel is a fairly standard e-13 29er, 28h AL wheel, which retails for about $350, so nothing really special. The bike itself is a pretty new 2019 carbon Jeffsy Pro (140mm FS bike)

So the final cost of the rebuild was 127, which I was not super happy about because they originally quoted me a much lower number. They even charged me for nipples which is strange because why not reuse the existing nipples.

Here are the issues I have, tell me if I'm crazy!

1. They rebuilt the wheels with 1.8/1.6 DB spokes when the original had 2.0/1.8. I thought 1.6 were for cross-country and light use only??
    2. They used silver spokes and my original was black, so now my wheels don't match
    3. The wheel is true to within 0.5mm and round to within 1mm, but the dishing appears to be off by about 6mm
    4. The biggest problem I have is that about 10 spokes have threads showing, with the worst 2 having 6-7 threads showing. With standard nipples this means that only 3-4mm of threads (6-7 threads) are actually threaded into the nipple

Hitching a ride
    Wow, I hope you didn't pay them for that job. It needs a complete rebuild with new spokes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah...take it back and demand a properly built wheel. There should be NO threads showing.

The spokes can go either way, yes thatís a lighter gauge, but it doesnít make the wheel significantly weaker either. Should have gone with at least supercomps, but reeks of them just using what they had on hand. Usually a shop would go with 2.0/1.8s cuz they are relatively cheap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    What they said and no way is 6mm off dish acceptable
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Hitching a ride
    Also take video next time you go in and post it. Just stick your phone in your shirt breast pocket; they'll never know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Take it back. They should communicate clearly any changes. The short spokes and offset issues are serious mistakes. Was this their first wheel rebuild....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Also take video next time you go in and post it. Just stick your phone in your shirt breast pocket; they'll never know.
    Can you video people without their consent in the US? On private property?

Nonetheless, shoddy wheel build. I most recent wheel build had spokes crossing over where the valve is. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer the spokes were straight there solely as it's easier to get a floor pump on with the extra space.

Hitching a ride
    Usually. The key phrase is "one party state"

Elitest thrill junkie
    No need, just take some good high quality pictures of the dish, the threads, etc...

document what happens, who you spoke to, what they said. Put it in writing. Bring a witness.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    This sounds pretty bad, but reusing nipples is not a good practice, especially if they are alloy. Also, if you have the ability to check dish, radial and lateral run-out, spoke gauge and thread depth, what is keeping you from rebuilding your own wheel?

mtbr member
    They should have returned your wheel and apologized. Maybe toss in some freebies for wasting your time.

Charging you for work like that is basically theft. That's like ordering a burger at a restaurant, and instead of bringing you a burger, they just smoosh a turd into your shirt. You were better off before they did anything at all!

turtles make me hot
    Yep. That wheel is crap.
    I like turtles

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
    4. The biggest problem I have is that about 10 spokes have threads showing, with the worst 2 having 6-7 threads showing.
    If there's just a few spokes with that much thread showing, then your tensions are all over the map. Which makes me wonder if it was just sloppy work or was it necessary to straighten the rim? If the rim was bent it should have been replaced.

And the dish may be off because the spokes on one side are too long and bottomed out.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yeah, that's about the worst experience I've read on here. Pretty awful. I'd go get my money back, then find a new shop.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just an FYI if it is a complete E*thirteen wheel the original build is a 2.0 / 1.6 spoke. They call their spokes "Quad Butted".

mtbr member
    Photos/ video? That sounds horrible.

One more reason to find a GOOD lbs and treat them well, or learn to do your own work. That's why I build my own wheels.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Not sure why they'd spec a 28 spoke alloy wheel for a 29er 140mm FS to begin with so there's that. Sounds like an XC wheel, so if that's not what you use it for it might be time to consider something else?

Other than that, the rest has already been said.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The last time I had a wheel rebuilt with 32 new black spokes and nipples it was about $65. They were straight gauge spokes though.

mtbr member
    Also, a spoke at full tension that juuuust covers the last thread, is too short by 2-3mm. Actually showing threads isn't even in the ball park. Redishing a wheel to make the spokes reach, while still showing threads? Sounds like they're 5-10mm off.

You can run whatever spoke you want. I've redone tons of straight 2.0 wheels with butted spokes. Or redone 2.0/1.8 with 2.0/1.5. That is fine... As long as the new spokes actually fit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks for all the replies (except the ones who insulted my bike ). The bike came with 28h wheels, what am I gonna do? Every bike is a trade-off unless you spend >$5K. Even then...

I took the wheel back and they agreed without question it needed to be redone. They got it fixed by the next morning and it looks great now.

Attached is a pic of the ruined spokes (broken one not shown)
    How bad is this LBS wheel rebuild?-badspokes_sm.jpg

And the bad build with the threads showing on the worst spoke. There was one other spoke like this one, and then a whole bunch with 3-4 threads showing.
    How bad is this LBS wheel rebuild?-threads.jpg

I don't have pics of the new build, as there is not much to see. All spokes are correct (black) and no threads showing. Wheel is true, round, and dished properly now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Photos/ video? That sounds horrible.

One more reason to find a GOOD lbs and treat them well, or learn to do your own work. That's why I build my own wheels.
    Turtle, wheel building is probably the ONE set of equipment I don't have myself. I can do all other maintenance. This episode is probably going to be the thing that makes me go out and get a truing stand, tensiometer, and a few other things to build a wheel myself!

turtles make me hot
    I bet they let some HS kid that works there have a shot at it because he said he could do it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies (except the ones who insulted my bike ). The bike came with 28h wheels, what am I gonna do? Every bike is a trade-off unless you spend >$5K. Even then...

I took the wheel back and they agreed without question it needed to be redone. They got it fixed by the next morning and it looks great now. Wheel is true, round, and dished properly now.
    Great that it worked out for you

BOOM goes the dynamite!

I took the wheel back and they agreed without question it needed to be redone.
    If you're talking about my comment about the wheel, .

At least it's back to being OK so enjoy!

I'd strongly suggest just selling it and buying something with 32 spokes next go 'round...though if the chain goes into the spokes again it's not gonna make much difference how many spokes it has.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I'd strongly suggest just selling it and buying something with 32 spokes next go 'round...though if the chain goes into the spokes again it's not gonna make much difference how many spokes it has.
    I run 24H on my 26", 28H on my 27.5, and If I had a 29" I would probably be build a 32H wheel. That said, It's probably going to be fine. Having just invested in some cheap wheel tools for a one time build and maintenance, you can really get by spending under $60. But if you are in fact losing your chain into the spokes, you might want to invest in a hanger alignment tool too....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    If you're talking about my comment about the wheel, .

At least it's back to being OK so enjoy!

Spoke count is by no means the main indicator of what makes a good wheel. There are plenty of quality 20h or 24h road wheels that kick the snot out of some 36h wheels. More spokes allows for more margin of error to cover up a hasty or shoddy build. Rim and spoke selection, hub flange geometry, and most importantly- proper and balanced tension are far more important than 4 extra spokes....

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    But if you are in fact losing your chain into the spokes, you might want to invest in a hanger alignment tool too....
    Looks pretty obvious from the pic it went in there at least once - could have been a few things (poor adjustment, hanger, stick pushed the RD over, etc). But yeah, it's a very useful tool to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolBehindTheWrench View Post
    Spoke count is by no means the main indicator of what makes a good wheel.
    True, and I have a 28h rear on my XC bike but I don't smash into things with it. Still, all else being equal, more spokes will make a stronger wheel. Agreed?

Next question - do we trust the redo of this build given what we saw with their first attempt?