mtbr member
    May 2012

Hope Pro Evo 2 and Pro 4

Hi there.

So I have been looking at the Hope Pro 4 and I am not able to find many differences with the Pro Evo 2. These are what I could find:

- 44 POE on the Pro 4 instead of 40 on the Evo 2
    - Larger flange allows shorter spokes which means stiffer wheels (but how much?)
    - Boost options

Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yeah, i would like to know too what the difference ? Also... i have heard this hub is lightweight alloy... can this cause a problem with durability ?

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by MiGSPiNe View Post
    Hi there.

So I have been looking at the Hope Pro 4 and I am not able to find many differences with the Pro Evo 2. These are what I could find:

- 44 POE on the Pro 4 instead of 40 on the Evo 2
    - Larger flange allows shorter spokes which means stiffer wheels (but how much?)
    - Boost options

Am I missing something?
    I think the new one does away with one bearing in the freehub. I don't know if this is an improvement or the opposite. It could be better. who knows?

If the hub can go from non boost to boost its not real boost as far as I know. Sure it will fit boost frames but it wont take advantage of the supposed benefits.

the larger flanges and stiffness is most likely bs and not at all noticable.

Another "quite cheap" option that is built on the same principle as the hope is the white industries hubs. Those have steel axles and steel/ti freehubs from the start. And supposdly they last a long time. The bearings are top notch and so on. If i could afford the difference in price I would get those. THe wi's are regarded as one of the best hubs out there, the hopes are "good for the money", but thats it.

Also they have alu freehubs and i think alu axles. Bearings are not very durable from what I've read.

Other options are hadleys. About the same as the WI's but now with more poe. Not that expensive. They dont have a site.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hope Pro Evo 2 and Pro 4

It's a minor upgrade and the 2 to 4 version number makes it sound like a bigger change than there actually is. Marketing more than substance. Both versions come in Boost. If you can get the old 2 for cheaper then go for it otherwise the new 4 will replace the 2 so it will become a moot point - you'll only be able to get the 4 and with its slightly better engagement it's probably a slightly better hub (by about 2%).

mtbr member
    It's detail changes over the Pro 2 Evo, but enough parts are new (and don't fit the Pro 2/Evo) that Hope went for a new name.

New ratchet and flanges you already mentioned.

The freehub seal is slightly different, the freehub body plays better with Shimano 11sp cassettes and now turns on two bearings the same size with a larger bushing/spacer in the middle instead of the three smaller bearings in the Pro 2 Evo.

The axle and end caps have some small differences too.

The Pro 2 Evo is also available in 148x12, so that's not new.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Boost and non Boost Pro 4 hubs are not the same shell. The Pro 4 make real use of the Boost set up. Now if I could only find a 36h rear 12x142 in orange to match the 15x110 I have up front.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbpete
    The Pro 4 is a better hub for all the reasons listed and the US retail price is about the same as the Pro 2's were, so if you have a choice, get the Pro 4 of course.

Anyone I know that's had trouble with the stock stainless steel bearings in the Pro2 hubs has replaced them with chromoly Enduro bearings with much better results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    The Pro 4 is a better hub for all the reasons listed and the US retail price is about the same as the Pro 2's were, so if you have a choice, get the Pro 4 of course.

Anyone I know that's had trouble with the stock stainless steel bearings in the Pro2 hubs has replaced them with chromoly Enduro bearings with much better results.
    As one who is having problems with the factory Hope bearings do you have link or more info where the chromoly bearings can be found?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Boost and non Boost Pro 4 hubs are not the same shell. The Pro 4 make real use of the Boost set up. Now if I could only find a 36h rear 12x142 in orange to match the 15x110 I have up front.
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...42%5D=1;page=2
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbpete
    Do you have a Pro II or Pro 2 Evo?
    The Pro II freehub body takes:
    1 61902 bearing and 2 61802 bearing aka 6802
    The main body takes 2 61903 bearings aka 6903

The Pro2 Evo:
    Freehub: 1 17287 bearing and 2 6803 bearing
    Main body: 2 61903 aka 6903

You can search these bearing numbers in google or get them here:
    Search results for: '6903'

Abec 3 or 5 is fine. Get chromoly bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Might have to check mine.
    My "new" Pro 2 EVO is 24poe.
    Missing a pawl maybe?

Bought an old 26" wheelset for the hubs.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    OK.
    The old Pro2 EVO was 24poe, the trials version had offset pawls for 48poe and the newer Pro2 EVO is 40poe.

mtbr member
    Are the rear Pro 4 hubs compatible with Sram 12sp cassettes?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarmark View Post
    Are the rear Pro 4 hubs compatible with Sram 12sp cassettes?
    With Eagle? Why not? Are you asking about SRAM drivers?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Correct, I have all 3 hubs, Pro2, Pro2 SS, Pro4, the OP gave wrong info in his first post. Regular Pro2 24 POE, SS/Trials Pro2 48 POE, new Pro4 40 POE. No way that I know of to increase POE with the Pro2, not sure how they did it between the regular and SS/Trials version, because internally they look the same

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    OK.
    The old Pro2 EVO was 24poe, the trials version had offset pawls for 48poe and the newer Pro2 EVO is 40poe.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??