mtbr member

Hope Pro 4 Trial/SS Lockring?

I'm getting a new Hope Pro 4 Trial/SS rear hub for a new wheelset for El Mariachi SS. In photos they appear to come with spacers, but I've yet to see a photo of a lockring. Can any of you tell me if the hubs come with a lockring, and if not, can you recommend one? Thanks!

Rent this space for $
    Same boat but decided on the 10x135 Thru-bolt, instead for future expansion/conversion options. As I recall in my researching the Trials/SS hub, it does NOT come with a lock ring but any Shimano freehub compatible lock ring will work. IIRC, I took that info from Chain Reaction's Q&A section under the product description and the answer came from a CRC Rep. You might want to check my work, though. I forget sh*t all the time.

mtbr member
    Wonderful, thanks! That's actually the one I got too, because it's going on an El Mariachi SS. Specifically, this hub: Hope Pro 4 MTB Rear Hub - Single Speed-Trials | Chain Reaction Cycles

I was just looking in the basement and I've got some Shimano Centerlock brake rotor lockrings, which I think are the exact same part. Same splining, threading, all. So, I guess that solves that problem!

Thanks for letting me know what you found. I'm really looking forward to these hubs.

Rent this space for $
    I ended up not doing the Trials/SS hub and went with the standard size freehub. The Trials/SS hub is built wider and has the narrower freehub and it's not convertible due to it's special width. I may want to put a 10/11 spd cassette on this bike in the future so I'm saving myself from having to build another wheel to do that. I'll run a Surly spacer kit on the freehub as long as it's set up SS.

The nice thing about the Trials/SS hub is it gets the 88 POE but they're getting that by opposing pawls which is a mod I did to one of my original 24 POE Pro2's a few years ago making it a 48 POE. It never failed me after serious hammering so I'll likely do it to the new Pro4 once I get it.

mtbr member
    Ahh, that makes sense. For me this is going on an El Mariachi SS, which doesn't have cable stops, so it's almost guaranteed to stay as an SS. I've got a Ti version as well and that's my geared HT.

The 88 POE is part of the reason I went with this, but the other is the symmetric flanges which should make for a nice, symmetric wheel build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I ended up not doing the Trials/SS hub and went with the standard size freehub. The Trials/SS hub is built wider and has the narrower freehub and it's not convertible due to it's special width. I may want to put a 10/11 spd cassette on this bike in the future so I'm saving myself from having to build another wheel to do that. I'll run a Surly spacer kit on the freehub as long as it's set up SS.

The nice thing about the Trials/SS hub is it gets the 88 POE but they're getting that by opposing pawls which is a mod I did to one of my original 24 POE Pro2's a few years ago making it a 48 POE. It never failed me after serious hammering so I'll likely do it to the new Pro4 once I get it.
    What is the opposing pawls mod?
    Did you end up doing it to the Pro 4?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Shortening 2 of the pawls so they grab in between (doubling the engagement points, but with 2 pawls instead of 4). The trials/ss freehubs use 4 matching pawls, but 2 have the location offset to accomplish the same thing.
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

https://fb.me/bikersedge

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ah, found it:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...oe-843581.html

I'll have to try it on a rainy day.