High volume, fast rolling, 26" reccomendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

High volume, fast rolling, 26" reccomendations

Dear Forum,
    Writing from Missoula MT looking for a cushy tire that won't slow me down too much. Am fairly aware of the options but have no experience with them, so I have some specific questions, but also am looking for general advice. Of course i like light tires but blowing sidewalls is annoying so am OK with 600,700g or whatever. Probably will run matching tires F+R.

WTB weirwolf LT- Will this fit in my average-clearance Jamis dragon hardtail frame and reba fork? Also, will 717s support such a casing?

Maxxis Crossmark 2.25- a lot of maxxis tires aren't so high volume, is this enough?

Kenda Slant six 2.35- pretty exciting but have never seen one in real life, looks kind of slow

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 would probably be perfect but I have seen so many of those explode that i'm not that into it.

Lately I've been running Spec Sworks Fast Trak and The Captain, both 2.0, which I like, but keep nicking the sidewalls. Is the "Control" version much more durable than Sworks? I know these come in 2.2 and Spec is usually pretty high volume, that is tempting.

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by briwear
    Dear Forum,
    Writing from Missoula MT looking for a cushy tire that won't slow me down too much. Am fairly aware of the options but have no experience with them, so I have some specific questions, but also am looking for general advice. Of course i like light tires but blowing sidewalls is annoying so am OK with 600,700g or whatever. Probably will run matching tires F+R.

WTB weirwolf LT- Will this fit in my average-clearance Jamis dragon hardtail frame and reba fork? Also, will 717s support such a casing?

Maxxis Crossmark 2.25- a lot of maxxis tires aren't so high volume, is this enough?

Kenda Slant six 2.35- pretty exciting but have never seen one in real life, looks kind of slow

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 would probably be perfect but I have seen so many of those explode that i'm not that into it.

Lately I've been running Spec Sworks Fast Trak and The Captain, both 2.0, which I like, but keep nicking the sidewalls. Is the "Control" version much more durable than Sworks? I know these come in 2.2 and Spec is usually pretty high volume, that is tempting.

Thanks
    The WW LT may not have enough tread. Would likely fit your frame.

All current Maxxis tires, including the Crossmark are "new spec" high volume.

Have not seen a Slant Six yet, either.

The Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskin is high volume and has pretty tough sidewalls. Just bashed a set of the 29ers in lava and roots without as much as a scuff.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    i wouldnt want to run any bigger than average sized 2.1 on a 717 rim. thats a small rim!

Unfit Norwegian
    2.25 and even 2.3 is no problem on a 717.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    2.25 and even 2.3 is no problem on a 717.
    Yup, depends on the specific tire and rider.

I have run 2.6" tires on VXCs (same width as the 717) with no issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dear Forum,

Thanks
    Take a look at the Maxxis Ignitor as well.....unless you are riding a fair amount of roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4. More like a 2.3 in actual size but wicked fast and handles well in all but mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maxxis Advantage 2.25 60a front, 70a rear huge volume, fast rolling, good in most conditions even road sections, doubt you could squeeze a 2.4 in the rear though.

The ignitor is more of a pure forest tyre like the Verti was.

mtbr member
    I've been riding Maxxis High Roller 2.35 front, Maxxis 2.25 Crossmark rear and really been liking the combination for my trail riding in Colorado. The Crossmark is super fast and good volume, while the High Roller gives me grip in the front. Both are 60a folding. I haven't managed to damage either on the rocks. High Roller isn't a high volume tire though, so if you want a high volume for the front, you could run the 2.25 Maxxis Ardent up front in place of the High Roller, and it would also be a solid combination. The Ardent has good grip except at extreme lean angles. I wouldn't run the Crossmark in the wet though.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks all for the help. I think I should just commit to tubeless and get over the 2.4 idea, run high volume 2.25 at 15 psi

I'm glad to know maxxis are higher volume.

Seems like Crossmark or Racing Ralph snake skin in 2.25 is the ticket. I like Fat Albert 2.25 snakeskin a lot but it's a little slow. If you want a front tire for the loose stuff get one of those.

Saving lives with knives.
    I ride a Castellano softail and have been trying out a variety of high volume tires trying to err on the low rolling resistance side for my rear tire. I only run bigger full knobies up front. For reference, all tires are mounted to DT swiss 4.2d rims and I ride very tight & technical single track. I currently run a WTB weirwolf 2.3 (old version) up front and WTB Wolverine 2.2 in the rear; both are converted to tubeless with Notubes.

WTB mutano raptor 2.4--> Very high volume and very fast rolling tire, I hated this thing up front but it just rocks as a rear tire, too bad that it rubs my frame when I really rail into a corner (which is most of the time). Converting them to tubeless ruins their performance-- don't do it.

Kenda small block 8 2.35--> nowhere near as big as the Mutano, but still higher volume, rolls very well, not much confidence in the corners, but climbs and brakes better than I expected. I wouldn't recommend this for anything but hard pack though... it's now on my commuter.

WTB Wolverine 2.2--> about the same size as the Kenda small block 8 2.35. This is my current rear tire and I am very pleased, it climbs and brakes very well, and still rolls very well. Cornering is good as a rear tire, but a bit too loose up front. It definitely prefers loam or hard pack, but it is surprisingly versatile. This is one of the few WTB standard tires that actually work very well when converted to tubeless (the other is the Weirwolf 2.3). Another thing I really like about this tire is how easy it is to recover from a slide.

Continental Mountain King 2.4--> Now this tire is a true a swiss army knife. It doesn't roll as easily as any of the other tires I've listed above but comes pretty close. Definitely delivers the cushy feeling you're after, solid climbing and above average braking; predictable cornering. It will clear mud acceptably fast and is very good in snow. The sidewalls are also pretty burly.

Continental Trail King 2.2--> OK this is not what I would consider a low rolling resistance tire. However, for it's size and weight, it really delivers. The traction is just insane-- cornering, climbing, braking, whatever. You can really handle your bike with impunity on these things.
    Last edited by frank daleview; 08-12-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Dear Forum,

Thanks
    Captain up front, Fast Trak LK on the rear, both Control versions. Optimum setup and way, way, way more durable than S-Works tires. I abuse the crap out of 'em with no problems. Perfect fast combo IMHO.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I will give a big thumbs up to the WW LT FR 2.55 that tire kills it, dont let the knobs fool you. the key is low pressure. Im 240 and run mine front 25psi /rear 30psi tubeless with Stans.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    hutchinson's for me..
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...ire-26x2.0.htm
    http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...FC3DA6E36A5E4E
    it's the record holder for speed, light, and grips well. i run it in the front of my bike...
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Maxxis Advantage 2.25 60a front, 70a rear huge volume, fast rolling, good in most conditions even road sections, doubt you could squeeze a 2.4 in the rear though.

The ignitor is more of a pure forest tyre like the Verti was.
    Isn't it better to run the narrow tread in the rear to reduce rolling resistance? Maybe I've had it backwards... I like the 2.2 Mountain King in the rear and the 2.4 in the front. The rubber is nice and soft with lots of traction but the tread will be pretty worked after a good number of rides. The sidewalls on the Conti USTs take a serious pounding also. I ran them down Porcupine Rim with no issues. Nice high volume on the front feels great and the kevlar bead is nice and tight. I've never rolled them off even at 25-28psi. 32/35 is my sweet spot however. I might try a 2.4 in the rear also as these are pretty fast rollers.

A.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neex
    Isn't it better to run the narrow tread in the rear to reduce rolling resistance? Maybe I've had it backwards... I like the 2.2 Mountain King in the rear and the 2.4 in the front. The rubber is nice and soft with lots of traction but the tread will be pretty worked after a good number of rides. The sidewalls on the Conti USTs take a serious pounding also. I ran them down Porcupine Rim with no issues. Nice high volume on the front feels great and the kevlar bead is nice and tight. I've never rolled them off even at 25-28psi. 32/35 is my sweet spot however. I might try a 2.4 in the rear also as these are pretty fast rollers.

A.
    You must be used to Nevegals or dedicated mud tires if you consider the MK to be a good roller. I like the tire as well in the rear in the wet months, but it is one of the slower rollers out there, especially on the rear.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have gotta agree with facelessfools,the python tires just work so well.this is the tire i keep coming back to.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    You must be used to Nevegals or dedicated mud tires if you consider the MK to be a good roller. I like the tire as well in the rear in the wet months, but it is one of the slower rollers out there, especially on the rear.
    Dang - I just ordered a set of MK's to replace my Nevegals. The drag can't be nearly as bad as the Nevegals (or, at least I'm hoping). If this experiment fails, my next combo might be a High Roller (f) and Crossmark (r).
    Last edited by yzblue242; 08-19-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yzblue242
    Dang - I just ordered a set of MK's to replace my Nevegals. The drag can't be nearly as bad as the Nevegals (or, at least I'm hoping). Is this experiment fails, my next combo might be a High Roller (f) and Crossmark (r).
    In my experience, they do roll better, but not a whole lot better.

It is hard to describe. It feels to me like they actually ROLL a little better, but when I accelerate (pedal) on pavement or clean, dry hardpack it feels like the knobs squirm, and the rear feels kind of sluggish.

On the other hand, I find the 2.4 MK Protection to have better grip overall than the 2.35 Nevs. I find the Black Chili rubber on the MK to stick to wet surfaces as well as the Stick-E Nevegals, but wear at least as well as the DTC models. I have two fall/winter seasons on a 2.4 MK Prot (run in the rear), and it still looks great.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Saving lives with knives.
    Well... the MK is a better roller than Nevegal, but that isn't saying much considering the Nevegal rolls like a brick. It is a versatile tire though, it's predictable on dry stuff and holds its own in the wet. I've pretty much relegated my 2.4 MK to my front snow wheel (40 mm wide rims) as it performs very well there.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    i would like to replace my 2.35 (rear) Small Block Eight with something that rolls easy and is tough (lots of rocks round here)....

am I the only one with side knobs, on the SBE that are ripping off (breaking loose at the base)? It seems like the center knobs wear pretty fast on the small block eight....those tires are tough though, lots of high speed awkward rock hits (I weigh 230).

I've been looking at the slant six for the back, too.

i run a 2.35 nevegal in the front, like others....love it.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dear Forum,

Lately I've been running Spec Sworks Fast Trak and The Captain, both 2.0, which I like, but eep nicking the sidewalls. Is the "Control" version much more durable than Sworks? I know these come in 2.2 and Spec is usually pretty high volume, that is tempting.
    you may hbae
    Thanks
    Sounds like you already made a decision but here's my thoughts. The Geax Sedona 2.25 (no longer made) was by far the best combination of big volume, light weight and exceptionally durable sidewalls. Very fast rolling on dry but admittedly treacherous on mud. I used these for Eastern technical single rrack trails for years (and never had a sidewall failure) until I could no longer get them. Tried several big volume 26s but nothing compared. I think mountainkings are slow and the knobs are peeling off of mine with not that much use. I went to 650B (on a Jamis Dragon Team so I think the frame should clear most any 26") to get a comparable feeling when rolling through technical sections but the american classic wheels cost a small fortune compared to the cost of a set of tires. If anyone know of anything comparable to the Sedona in volume, weight and durability I would give up the 650Bs in a flash. If anyone has any laying around (hopefully not the teal sidewalls) that you want to get rid of, let me know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdave5917
    Sounds like you already made a decision but here's my thoughts. The Geax Sedona 2.25 (no longer made) was by far the best combination of big volume, light weight and exceptionally durable sidewalls. Very fast rolling on dry but admittedly treacherous on mud. I used these for Eastern technical single rrack trails for years (and never had a sidewall failure) until I could no longer get them. Tried several big volume 26s but nothing compared. I think mountainkings are slow and the knobs are peeling off of mine with not that much use. I went to 650B (on a Jamis Dragon Team so I think the frame should clear most any 26") to get a comparable feeling when rolling through technical sections but the american classic wheels cost a small fortune compared to the cost of a set of tires. If anyone know of anything comparable to the Sedona in volume, weight and durability I would give up the 650Bs in a flash. If anyone has any laying around (hopefully not the teal sidewalls) that you want to get rid of, let me know.
    I haven't used the Sedonas but have used Barro Mountain and Saguaro. Both I like and give great cushy ride. Not large volume like the Race king 2.2 though.Saguaro is getting there.
    http://twentynineinches.com/2007/08/...-final-review/

The latest Michelins are another reasonably priced true large volume tire with good sidewalls and may be a worthy replacement for the Sedona? Latest German magazine test gives wild grip'r 2.1 less rolling resistance and more traction/grip than than Racing Ralph 2.25. It's slightly bigger as well but heavier.The 2.25 is about same volume as Race king 2.2 and Racing Ralph / Nobby Nic 2.4.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=michelin

denis.gorchakov has got the Grip'r, looks like the 2.25, on his Marin MV.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=614593
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 08-20-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0