high volume fast rolling 2.5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

high volume fast rolling 2.5

Looking for a high volume, fast rolling cross country/freeride tire. Needs to grip well in all types of dirt, rocks and roots although I am not especially concerned with mud. The tires are going on my new Coiler. I have been riding a HT with Panaracer Fire FR 2.4's and I like these tires really well. I would just like a little less resistence, as the knobs on those are so deep don't roll especially well. I was thinking of a set of Weirwolf 2.5's? Any other suggestions around $50 a set?

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dingleberry
    Looking for a high volume, fast rolling cross country/freeride tire. Needs to grip well in all types of dirt, rocks and roots although I am not especially concerned with mud. The tires are going on my new Coiler. I have been riding a HT with Panaracer Fire FR 2.4's and I like these tires really well. I would just like a little less resistence, as the knobs on those are so deep don't roll especially well. I was thinking of a set of Weirwolf 2.5's? Any other suggestions around $50 a set?
    Wheelworld has some Nokian 2.5's on sale that are supposed to be really good for fast rolling. They run (size wise) like a 2.4 from my understanding.

I too am in the same boat as you, trying to figure out a good 2.5 for my six inch trail/FR bike. I think I might give the Kenda nevegals a whirl, check out the blue grooves, they have less knob depth, but are sticky and a true 2.5.

I'm debating between these three myself.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by O~Hi~O
    Wheelworld has some Nokian 2.5's on sale that are supposed to be really good for fast rolling. They run (size wise) like a 2.4 from my understanding.
    Heavy with a DH casing.
    Size "like a 2.4..."? Which one? They are all different.

I too am in the same boat as you, trying to figure out a good 2.5 for my six inch trail/FR bike. I think I might give the Kenda nevegals a whirl, check out the blue grooves, they have less knob depth, but are sticky and a true 2.5.
    The BG and Neve have the same tread depth.
    "...a true 2.5." Again, define "true". I have never been able to figure out what that means.
    The casings of the BG 2.50 and NBX 2.5 are basically the same size. Tread is wider on the BG.

Check the actual specs on my Tire Site
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mutano's in 2.4 fit the bill for me. Only 2.4 I've ridden, love it. See no reason to change. Light and fast and not for mud. Don't know what I'd do with the extra 0.1 anyway.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields