Here's hoping. Tubeless repair.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Here's hoping. Tubeless repair.

Up until now, every tubeless tire puncture has sealed up nicely, with only one requiring a "bacon" plug. When I've retired a tire, it's been because I've worn it out. But this Rock Razor had hardly any miles on it before I ran over something straight and sharp that put a clean, one inch cut right across the center.
    I laid one of those bacon strips across the cut, which was likely an unhelpful step, then I stitched it up. Glued a generic tire patch into the inside with rubber cement. After that had dried, turned the tire right side out and coated my bacon stich job with more rubber cement. Now that's dry and the tire is holding air. We'll see how it goes. Always meant for these tires to be temporary, I had hoped for more than a week. Here's hoping.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Vulcanizing glue, not rubber cement.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've also had success (on a couple tires) with gorilla tape. None were cut in the tread though. Mine were sidewall lacerations. Bit of prep involved but it holds and I'm not easy on the tires after the repair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Those repairs tend to fail in short order, since so much of a [dynamic] part of the tire is compromised. I would personally, if you decided to proceed, pull the old patch off, and tear out the plug. Stitch it together tightly (1 stitch per 1/4" or 5mm), then use a RADIAL patch that has the bias aligned with the bias of the tire. The radial patch, once bonded to the tire with vulcanizing cement, provides the structure. The 'sutures' are just to hold the tire together while you repair it, and will probably be destroyed after your first ride.

Out spokin'
    Yeah... that's not gonna work.

Sorry to be so blunt. Hope I'm wrong. But pretty sure I'm right. Good luck.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I did use a radial patch, although I paid no attention to orientation. And vulcanizing cement (after years of tube kits containing "rubber cement" that was actually vulcanizing fluid, I didn't actually realize they were different items, but I used the right stuff) .
    We'll see how long it lasts. I bought the tire relatively cheaply just to be able to try out the wheels on a bike with less clearance. But now that I have the wheels on the right bike, I'll be wanting some bigger tires, too. But I did want to upgrade some other components first. This damaged tire means tires have now gone up in the priority list. But if like to at least last the month.
    I won't be too sad when it fails, but if it doesn't last until July at least, the bike may have to go back on the stand until then.

mtbr member
    Don't go far from the trail head!
    I'd just get a new tire.

I'm getting a 29x2.35 Rock Razor today to try. Have you had good luck with these before this episode?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Don't go far from the trail head!
    I'd just get a new tire.

I'm getting a 29x2.35 Rock Razor today to try. Have you had good luck with these before this episode?
    It's a fairly new tire and my first Rock Razor. I don't know what punctured it, but it left a very straight, clean cut that I suspect would have taken out any tire. Other than the puncture, I've been happy with it although it's seen more pavement than trail . I don't really do aggressive trail riding, so it's been more gravel and wide hard pack. I had no complaints there.

mtbr member
    100 miles. So far, so good. Will probably put new tires on next week and end this experiment. For now.