Help!! New Front King Wheel Not Sitting In Center Of Fork Brace!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Help!! New Front King Wheel Not Sitting In Center Of Fork Brace!!

Just had a King iso front hub built up with a Sun Rhyno Lite with 14 ga. spokes, after my first ride I noticed that the wheel sits a little bit too the disk side of the fork brace. It rode great and the disk fits with no rubbing, measured old XT hub, same width as the King. I checked drop out, it appears to me maybe the rim wasn't built(dished right) could this be the problem? Anyone have any idea why it would'nt be sitting in between the fork brace. By the way the fork is a 04 Z-1 Freeride. And when I put it on an older Z-2 Bam (98) it seemed to be straight. Help! Thanks in advance.

11 is one louder than 10

Sounds like a dish problem.

Take it back to the builder, have them check for dish, and if they have to do a LOT of re-dishing, make sure the tension is relatively equal on both sides.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDICT
    Just had a King iso front hub built up with a Sun Rhyno Lite with 14 ga. spokes, after my first ride I noticed that the wheel sits a little bit too the disk side of the fork brace. It rode great and the disk fits with no rubbing, measured old XT hub, same width as the King. I checked drop out, it appears to me maybe the rim wasn't built(dished right) could this be the problem? Anyone have any idea why it would'nt be sitting in between the fork brace. By the way the fork is a 04 Z-1 Freeride. And when I put it on an older Z-2 Bam (98) it seemed to be straight. Help! Thanks in advance.
    Are you measuring the tire or the rim? Many tires are not true and will make the wheel appear out of true. You must measure the distance from the rim to both sides of the fork.

If it is off.....then it's most likely dished incorrectly. You can have it checked in seconds at any bike shop....for cheap.
    Last edited by Blue Shorts; 04-04-2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: changed "out of true" to "dished incorrectly"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Are you measuring the tire or the rim? Many tires are not true and will make the wheel appear out of true. You must measure the distance from the rim to both sides of the fork.

If it is off.....then it's most likely out of true. You can have it checked in seconds at any bike shop....for cheap.
    Im measuring from the rim. THanks for the quick responses. Sounds to me like its going back too the builder because its not dished right!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Flip the wheel around in the fork. If it is offset the other direction it is the wheel dish. If it is offset in the same direction it is a fork problem.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    ... make sure the tension is relatively equal on both sides.
    Ahhh, no. A properly dished front disc wheel has the rim slightly off center over the flanges. The spoke tension can not be the same on both sides. Just not possible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

11 is one louder than 10

Don't worry Shigg's

I'm aware of that. Back in the days I was in a shop, I saw a disc wheel where the short and long spokes had been reversed when lacing... resulting in crazy off tensions when threads actually bottomed out on one side limiting the ability to do much of anything. (I suspect the wrong spoke lengths had also been selected).

I just wanted Addict to make sure he didn't have a undertension/overtension scenerio fix as I have seen done by many a 16 year old mechanic trying to be helpful in the local shops. (I don't trust too many local shop mechanics, I always assume the worst. Maybe my bad).

when I said make sure the tensions are relatively equal, I should have said make sure they aren't WAY off. aka, make sure the builder isn't a knucklehead.

- GG
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OK people the crisis is over my wheel was dished wrong LBS fixed it in 5 minutes. Thanks for the quick responses everyone, now I'm going riding WOO HOO!!!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDICT
    OK people the crisis is over my wheel was dished wrong LBS fixed it in 5 minutes. Thanks for the quick responses everyone, now I'm going riding WOO HOO!!!
    If it was dished wrong I wonder what else they didn't do right?