Help me select the perfect tire- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    A Dad On A Mission
    Reputation: MyKid'sDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15

    Help me select the perfect tire

    I've spent HOURS searching the forums and the internet to find the perfect tires.

    90% of my riding is on beachfront bike paths. These paths are mostly smooth but have their share of cracked concrete. the other 10% of my riding is on gravel over pavement, sand over pavement, hard dirt, and grass.

    I'm looking for 26" tires and also would like some thoughts as to the width of tire I ought to be looking for. Not looking to spend a ton of money; trying to keep them under $50 (preferably under $40).
    Me: an old Trek with a zillion miles on it
    My Son: a sweet Ibex Alpine

  2. #2
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,946
    Please let us know what you've found out during your hours of searching, or the possible list of tires you came up with so we can help narrow or refine your selection.

  3. #3
    A Dad On A Mission
    Reputation: MyKid'sDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Please let us know what you've found out during your hours of searching, or the possible list of tires you came up with so we can help narrow or refine your selection.
    Funny. after rereading what I originally wrote I realized I neglected to mention what tires I was most interested in.

    The few that seemed to jump out at me were, in no particular order:

    Maxxis Overdrive
    Kenda k-rad
    Michelin Country Rock
    Maxxis Holy Roller
    Me: an old Trek with a zillion miles on it
    My Son: a sweet Ibex Alpine

  4. #4
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,908
    Take a look at a maxxis larsen 2.0 for the rear and a wtb wolverine 2.2 for the front both are very fast rolling and will give you plenty of grip for what you have listed.

  5. #5
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,946
    Based on your description, your demographic is not "urban assault", but the more mellow "beach cruiser". These tires are approx 2" width and have a low tread that is raised over approx 40+% of the area and are in the form on long continuous patches. This gives low rolling resistance and long tread life. You can find these tires at most bike stores. To be extra classy, try to get ones that have a white sidewall.

    The tires that people on MTBR use also tend to have a low tread, but the tread is only raised over <30% of the area in the form of small knobs, which means that the tire will wear faster but is better on loose dirt. It will also cost a lot more for reasons you won't care about.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    532
    Schwalbe Big Apples are perfect for what you want. Get them in a 2.15 width and you'll be very happy. They are made for exactly what you describe. I've had them on one of my commuter bikes for years and they are awesome.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    533
    I have K-rads on my urban commuter/wheelie bike. Cheap, well cushioned, tough pretty fast rolling perfect for me, I have them in 2.3, but actually I happily go even wider.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.