Help me pick out a new custom wheelset plz!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Help me pick out a new custom wheelset plz!

I have a new custom wheelset almost picked out, but I have a few questions. Here is what I'll be getting:

- King ISO Disc Hubs, 20mm Front, QR rear
    - Mavic 719 Disc or 819 Disc rims
    - Double-butted DT spokes

Question 1: I have an "all-mountain" bike (Intense 6.6) that I mostly ride on the XC end of things. That said, I'd like something more beefy than the 717, so I am trying to decide between the 719 and the 819. Looks like the 819s with the spoke adapters are significantly heavier than the 719 - Can someone give me an idea if the 819s are worth the extra weight? I'd potentially like to run tubeless, but I don't know if I will use UST. The option would be nice though.

Question 2: What's the best place on the web to order a custom wheelset from? Prowheelbuilder.com looks good, but do you guys have a personal favorite?

Thanks!

local trails rider
    If I wanted tubeless, I'd go for the 819, for more foolproof sealing.

I've been buying custom wheels from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=752
    ... and have had no issues. They sell a lot, all over the world.
    (didn't check what exactly they have in stock right now. They go through stock fast)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    If your interested I have a brand new, never ridden set of wheels off my new Tallboy. They are DT-350 hubs with TN719 rims and DT double butted spokes. They would be great for what you are describing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    What is your budget? I would look into Dave Thomson at Speeddream wheels. He will build you a "true" custom set of wheels that will be designed to your specific needs. Just because you use custom parts doesn't equal a custom wheelset.......the custom part comes with the builders knowledge and his/hers ability to listen to the customers needs. He uses multi gauge spokes on disc and drive side to optimize stiffness with keeping an eye on weight. The build specs that you have listed will weigh in at 1950 grams depending if you go with the Stainless Steel drive shell. I have a set of Speeddream wheels that I can run tubeless that are 200 grams lighter and just as rugged. Don't limit yourself to Mavic hoops.....they are not the only show in town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Don't limit yourself to Mavic hoops.....they are not the only show in town.
    What do you suggest in lieu of Mavic rims? I have a friend who's a DT fanboy and wants me to get those. Most wheelsets seem to be either "XC" which aim to be ultra-light and not so rugged, or "All-Mountain" which have super-rugged rims and are heavy. I'm looking for more durability than XC, but I rarely bomb DH sections or hit huge drops.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka
    What do you suggest in lieu of Mavic rims? I have a friend who's a DT fanboy and wants me to get those. Most wheelsets seem to be either "XC" which aim to be ultra-light and not so rugged, or "All-Mountain" which have super-rugged rims and are heavy. I'm looking for more durability than XC, but I rarely bomb DH sections or hit huge drops.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Mavic and my next set of wheels will be XM719s. I have a set of Bontrager Dusters, Stans ARCH and Velocity Blunts......all built up with Kings and are lighter and just as rugged as XM819s.

mtbr member
    I have both 719's and 819 and run the 819's for the most part. Both are solid hoops, but as you know the biggest difference is the 819 is UST. I installed a Stans kit on the 719 and to be honest seems to hold air better than my true UST setup. Be sure and check out BWW that build some great wheels at a great price and stand behind their work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am thinking about just ordering the pieces and building them myself. I've never built a set and I think it'd be a good experience. I am figuring about 3 hours/wheel. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Also - I have a friend who is recommending the DT XR400 rim over the Mavic XM719. I weigh about 180 before gear (+10lbs for camelbak etc) and do mainly XC but do some very small drops. What do you guys think?

Sloth Hunter
    I'm getting ready to have a custom set built using Stans Flow rims laced to Hadley hubs.
    Need to decide on the builder...any thoughts here.
    Ghisallo Wheels?
    Mountain High Cyclery?
    Dave Thomas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had these http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=671784 built 2 weeks ago by Dave Thomas. ARCH rims, Hadley hubs using 2.0/1.8 and 2.0/1.5 spokes. 20mm front and 10mm bolt rear. They look great on the bike and perform even better. Finally got some miles on them and maybe it's all in my head but the bike seems to be faster and tighter. My old wheels 819/Hope were good but I really love these things. The UST Nev's went on pretty easy by hand and sealed right up, virtually no air loss so far. Working with Dave was really easy too he answered all my questions and had some great advice,I will definitely use him again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wheelbuilder.com seems pretty solid. I have communicated with them via email and telephone and they are always very prompt. Rich is a great resource and works with you to design a wheelset that will work with the way you ride. I placed an order and then experienced the only problem to this point: very limited stock of King hubs.

Even this they were very communicative about - they contacted King to determine which colors they could get asap. At this point it looks like I may just wait for the color I want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OP, I know they are new and there isn't any reviews of their durability but the new TCS Rims from WTB look promising. Light and wide. Most likely have a low profile the acheive the weight but not sure. I haven't looked them over in person yet.

might want to consider them though?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I am going with the DT XR400 rims. They're narrow, but I normally run 2.1 Nevegals anyway, and the DTs go up to 2.3" tires anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I already posted this in another thread, but I since this thread is all about my wheelset, I wanted to tell you about my great experience (so far) with Rich at Wheelbuilder.com:

I placed my order last night and Rich called/emailed me this morning to say the 20mm TA disc front King hub was not available until late January. He ended up ordering the rear from King and called around to basically every bike website you can think of. He finally found one and ordered it. He said he'll have the front hub early next week and hopes to have my wheelset built and shipped by next Wednesday - which means I should get it before Xmas. Rich really went above and beyond to hunt down that hub for me instead of just waiting over a month. I'll give a full review when I receive the wheels, but if his wheelbuilding skills are half as good as his customer service skills, they should be awesome.

mtbr member
    Since you're asking for opinions, mine is that tubeless is overrated. I wouldn't go with something concernably heavier if you are just maybe going to use them for their intended purpose.

You can always convert the 719's to tubeless down the line if that's the route you want to go.

Sloth Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule
    Since you're asking for opinions, mine is that tubeless is overrated.

Um...where do you ride?

Although admittedly, I use tubes for road bike and can't see going tubeless anytime soon.
    Last edited by BooBoo; 12-16-2010 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    An update:

I bought a new set of wheels just before Xmas. I ordered them from Wheelbuilder.com. Prior to ordering, I spoke to Rich on the phone and he gave me some great input and was very helpful. I decided on King ISO disc hubs in silver with a 20mm TA in front, matched to DT XR400 rims. I ride an all-mountain bike, but I prefer more XC riding.

After I placed the order online, Rich called to say that King was out of stock on the silver 20mm front and gave me a choice of 4 colors I didn't like. I told him that given the choices, I would probably just wait until approx Feb 2011 (this was mid-december 2010) for the silver hubs. I even checked most Internet dealers and found that the silver 20mm hubs were out of stock all over the place. Rich then essentially searched high and low until he found the front hub at another online retailer and ordered the hub directly from them. He ordered the rear from King directly. He called me to say that he hoped to have the wheels built and shipped out by the Wednesday before Xmas so I'd have them to ride on the Xmas weekend.

I ended up actually receiving them on Wednesday! They appeared very well built and strong. Since that time, I have ridden many miles on the new wheels and they are holding up great. No spokes have needed tightening and I've had no problems, other than a slight rim ding I got when I flew into a square-edged bump with my rear wheel way too fast and didn't unweight enough = pinch flat and rim ding.

The King hubs have needed a bit of adjustment during the break-in period as expected, and the hubs are performing great.

I can't say enough how happy I am with Rich and the staff at Wheelbuilder.com. I would absolutely order from them again. Awesome wheels and great customer service!

Members who have read this thread: 0