mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help!!... Ibis 942s or I9 Enduro310 Carbons

I am planning to buy an Ibis Ripmo and am trying to decide on wheels. I can get the Ibis 942s with I9 hubs or the I9 enduro 305 carbon wheels with their aluminum straight pull spokes for the about the same price. If I go with the I9 wheels, I'd get custom color hubs and spokes which would look sweeeet. 942s would be jbend black spokes on a black hub...boring in comparison. Can't find much about the i9 wheels other than some concerns they could be too stiff with the aluminum spokes; I'd go with 24 spokes to try to compensate for the stiffness. I weigh mid 160s BTW and am not too hard on wheels. 942s are 35mm inner width compared with 31mm for i9s.. I plan to run 2.35-2.5 tires so should be good either way. Similar weight. Both seem to have good warranties... Ibis 7 yrs, i9s lifetime.

Anyone have experience with the I9 wheels?

How valid is the overly stiff wheel concern?

People seem to like the 942s.

Appreciate any feedback, suggestions. These are the only two options on the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tarheel03; 1 Week Ago at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have i9 BC360s (i36mm) and love them. I weigh 140lbs and am also easy on wheels and tires. Mine are stiff, but that stiffness allows me to run 29+ with no rubbing in a standard 29 frame.

Personally, I would get the wider rin no matter what. That will let you run the largest possible tire in your frame. I35mm will give you a lot of options when it comes to tires.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like the Ripmo can handle up to a 2.6 tire so think either rim will be fine with that but not sure if the 35mm width will provide a better profile for the bigger tires.

I'm kind of leaning towards the wider rim 942s but those I9s look so badass it's tempting!

Barely in control
    I9 aluminum spokes are the same stiffness as a double butted 2/1.8/2 steel spoke like Sapim Race.

For 2.35-2.5 I'd go with the 31mm rim.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Iím curious. I blew up my XO hub and I need a Superboost hub and the I9 carbons look boss. But they are stupid expensive. Since Iím a Clyde I like stiff wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel03 View Post

How valid is the overly stiff wheel concern?
    The stiffness issue you're concerned about doesn't exist. If you want the Bling'd out wheels go for it. They're both excellent options and will fit your needs.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Speak with Fanatik about both of them. They have extensive experience with both. They are also the only shop in the country permitted to build the i9 straight pull hubs and spokes outside of i9 themselves.

I have had both. At your weight, the i9 will feel stiffer, if the spoke count is the same. If you go 24, I don't know. Despite what some advertising says, stiffer isn't always better. There is vertical and lateral compliance and stiffness to consider.

Width wise, the 35mm gives you more options for wider tires of that is what you want. My brother runs 2.35 on the 942s and loves them. He is 185 lbs and had had them for years. Not a single issue.

I lived and loved both sets. I am 150 lbs. At the end of the day, either will work and whatever you get will be your fav lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up pulling the trigger on the I9s with 24 spokes a couple days ago. Thinking the 31mm width might be better for tires I'll be running and had a hard time resisting the bright colors. ; ). I got the impression I'd be happy either way.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk